• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First encounter with LEOs since I started carrying.

Dahwg

imported post

This post is not so much about OC per se, but it does demonstrate the value of this website, and I'll tell my story as a way of thanking all of the people (especially LEOs) on this site for all of the awesome information.

As I was on my way to pick my wife up from work yesterday, I notice a police cruiser behind me. Started to get a bit closer than normal so I figured he was running my plates. Sure enough he lit them up and pulled me over. At this point I'm thinking, "of Course!"Oro Valley has more cops per resident than just about any place in AZ, and they are notorious for traffic stops, they are also notorious for being very hard core- very by the book and they take no lip. This is the very first encounter that I've had with LEOs since I started carrying a gun on a regular basis. I hadmy holstered CZ P-01 stowed away in the center console in condition 2 (which is standard for decockers).

I pulled over- not just to the side of the road, butintothe parking lotof a strip mallturned off the engine and (as advised by members on this board) kept both hands on the steering wheel until the officer approached my car. He informed me that he was pulling me over because I had an invalid plate (long story- an issue that has prompted yet another angry call to my insurance salesman). He asked to see my license, registration and proof of insurance, and knowing that they were in the center console where my gun was, I informed him "for his safety" that I was armed.

The officer (couldn't have been more than 23 years old) asked me to step out of the car, asked where the weapon was and then asked if I minded if he took it for his safety. I said, "of course not officer" The black ribbon across his badge a striking reminder of the death of Officer Hite just one week earlier made me respect this young guy for what he did, and I was not about to put up a stink. He made the gun safe and placed it in his patrol car.

Here's the best part. Come to find out that I didn't have my latest insurance cards in the car, was driving with an invalid plate and one other "technical" violation and he could have seized my plate and written me up for three separate tickets. Instead he came up to me and said, "thank you for being honest with me, I'm going to cut you a break..." To make a long story short, the only ticket I got was for failure to have proof of insurance (no fine- just have to stop by city court and show them my current insurance card).

That's it! The good advise I got on this board saved me at least $200+ worth of traffic tickets. Oh and the kid and I had a nice conversation about guns and holsters afterward when he learned I preferred OC to CC.Asked him about his duty holster Safariland SLS- said it was ok, except the gun was a bit too tight for his taste- suggested he loosen the retention screws-I had to laugh at his response:"Huh?What screws?" Ipointedthem out to him and he was genuinely appreciative. After my conversation with him, I'm thinking of getting the concealment version of that holster.

:dude:

LEO 229

imported post

I am very pleased that you had such a great outcome.

Cops, Myself included, tend to give out breaks to those that do not give us a hard time and are respectful. It seems that you were and even though you were in violation he let you go with some warnings and gave you a ticket that was easy to get oout of.

So both sides won that day!!

Had you started spouting some of the things I heard here you would have rightfully received EVERY ticket possible. ;)

Thank you for pulling into the parking lot too.... so many cops and motorist vehicles are rear-ended during traffic stops from rubberneckers! :uhoh:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Multiple reasons to completely be sure that ALL of your papers are in order. I check insurance and reggie monthly, license and CCW daily, and make sure that all required paperwork is handy in case of a stop. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I've had to learn that the hard way...

Dahwg

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Multiple reasons to completely be sure that ALL of your papers are in order. I check insurance and reggie monthly, license and CCW daily, and make sure that all required paperwork is handy in case of a stop. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I've had to learn that the hard way...
Yeh, normally I do too- that's what surprised my wife. The registration was in there, but the insurance expired May the new cards were sitting on my desk at home- I had every intention of swapping them out, but then again you know what they say about good intentions... :banghead:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like the way things should work. He followed the law, realized you were not a scofflaw but just made a mistake and gave you a break. You were straight forward and respectful which respect was returned.

Gunslinger

imported post

I assume you have a Concealed Carry license? If you were carrying in a holster, would you have been so amenable to him taking your weapon?

Just for LEO--THAT COP WAS A JACKBOOTED THUG!!!:cuss:

Glad things turned out well on the traffic stop.

Dahwg

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I assume you have a Concealed Carry license? If you were carrying in a holster, would you have been so amenable to him taking your weapon?

Nope, I don't have my concealed carry license yet (long story, but there's light at the end of that tunnel!). In fact, that was one of the first questions he asked me. When I said I didn't that started a whole new conversation about open carry- he's obviously a supporter. I wouldn't call him a jackbooted thug at all.

Gunslinger

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Nope, I don't have my concealed carry license yet (long story, but there's light at the end of that tunnel!). In fact, that was one of the first questions he asked me. When I said I didn't that started a whole new conversation about open carry- he's obviously a supporter. I wouldn't call him a jackbooted thug at all.
My 'jbt' reference was for my friend, LEO...not serious. He seemed to be a pretty good cop, per your post.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Had you started spouting some of the things I heard here you would have rightfully received EVERY ticket possible. ;)

Now we agree again...... "contempt of cop".

While not a real crime, it's enough to get a few citations allright! :D

Sheriff

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
..... they are notorious for traffic stops, they are also notorious for being very hard core- very by the book.....The officer (couldn't have been more than 23 years old)...
Based on your above facts, I am surprised the stop turned out so well. :shock:

Just my professional opinion though.

Dahwg

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
..... they are notorious for traffic stops, they are also notorious for being very hard core- very by the book.....The officer (couldn't have been more than 23 years old)...
Based on your above facts, I am surprised the stop turned out so well. :shock:

Just my professional opinion though.

Yeah, I agree 100%, which is why I included it in the OP. I firmly believe that the overall discourse on this forum gave me the understanding I needed to make it turn out so well.

One other quote of his when he decided to give me a break, which of course makes me believe all the more that he is a pro-2A kind of guy. He said, "I figure you're a good guy-you're a gun owner and in my opinionanyone that takes the responsibility to protect themselves and their loved ones is responsible enough to trust to take care of this situation."

I'm just floored by how well it went- If you knew Oro Valley PD, the way we do out here, you'd all know that it just doesn't happen.

I'm definately going to write an "attaboy" letter for that officer.

Sheriff

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
Be real careful how you word the letter and don't go into too many details.

I know this sounds crazy, but his department may not agree with the way he handled things.

Gunslinger

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
Be real careful how you word the letter and don't go into too many details.

I know this sounds crazy, but his department may not agree with the way he handled things.
Agree with Sheriff 100%. Just mention his professional conduct and demeanor. He was a credit to the force, etc. Leave the gun part out completely.

imperialism2024

imported post

It's not too often that people post good LEO encounters. It's good to hear, though.

Anyhow, there's a case to be made for keeping one's "papers" in the visor of one's car, or in some other place in which a gun does not also reside.