• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Japan?

thx997303

imported post

So, I wonder if you can carry or even own a gun in Japan.

The reason I ask this is the killing spree that happened in Tokyo, with a KNIFE!

Wait, I thought that GUNS KILL PEOPLE! You mean there are other ways of killing people? Holy crap!

hehe, I'll link the story.

xmirage2kx

imported post

the simple answer is NO, unless you work for japans government and have a reason to. Just OWNING a gun is a Crime

thx997303

imported post

So, it seems that people kill each other with or without guns, interesting isn't it?

Am I right in saying that Guns are tools, and therefore can be used for both good and evil.

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
So, it seems that people kill each other with or without guns, interesting isn't it?

Am I right in saying that Guns are tools, and therefore can be used for both good and evil.
Indeed.

aorta

imported post

They kill with guns over there as well I mean it's a crime to own one so only the criminals have them...

thx997303

imported post

Yeah, and they look the other way on the japanese mafia. They run their crime ring with branches and signs right on the street.

Corruption at it's worst.

Takezo

imported post

Here's the low-down on Japan.

I used to live there as would any Japanese citizen. I was not in the military. My wife is Japanese and we lived in Tokyo and Kanagawa prefecture in Japan.

Open carry is only legal for... police, miltary and Yakuza gangs that are openly waring against each other.

Only the Police, Miltary and organized crimes gangs possess firearms.

All forms of firearms are strictly prohibited--except sporting clay shotguns. Shotguns must be lisenced. To possess a shot-gun you must obtain a lisence. They must be kept in a secure gun-safe in your premises at all times. You cannot carry a shogun to the range on public transportation. You must use your personal vehicle.

Some individual may possess hunting rifles. The calibers I belive are strictly regulated. Only individuals who are game wardens, or who own farms that can demonstrate a need, may be licensed to possess a hunting rifle. Again the lisencing (sp?) process is strictly regulated. Wardens and farmers may also possess hunting style shot-guns for game/varmint control.

Hunting in the sense that it is conducted in the states does not occur. I belive that not even bow-hunting is allowed (despite the forrests and rural towns being completely overun by deer and killer monkeys).

Pistols or all types are strictly prohibited. Only the police and military may legally possess them.

Pepperspray is illegal.

Not even security officers can possess a firearm--they carry extendable kubatons.

Now there is a curious loophole that only applies to American citizens. If you are an active duty member of the US military, you are allowed to possess a firearm (any type) in your quarters on your duty station (on US bases). You can use that firearm only at US military gun ranges. But some of these ranges are located off-base in rural areas. So that means you can transport them. How? I don't know.

While I was there, an Airman I had met had a bitchen Colt Commander he wanted to sell. But the dilema was, how could I get it home. He couldn't mail it for me. And I couldn't get it through the check-points at Narita airport (it's like Fort Knox). So I had to pass on this deal.

As for knives.... all are legal. But not for concealed carry. As for swords, they too must be registered. This history of arms control goes back centuries to the Samurai days. Back then, only samurai could legally possess or evenhandle weapons. They were a special class who were affoarded this right.

Some villages even had to check-in their cutting tools and work knives (each evening after a days work) with Samurai overseers. Really.

There were check-points along the roadswhere all baggage and persons were inspected for weapons (knives, swords, pistols) as they moved between prefectures. Again only theSamurai were allowed to freelymove about with weapons.

(this refers to Ronin... and ronindoes not mean masterless samurai, it literally means "wave people." Masterless samuari roamed the countryside like the "ro" ...or stalks or chaff that blew along the roads.)

Get caught with a firearm in Japan and you will do hard time in a Hokaido prison with a Yakuza cell mate.:what:

Shinmen Takezo

thx997303

imported post

Well, that reaffirms that if you ban guns, then only criminals and LEOs will have guns.

Welcome to OCDO and thank you for that insight.

Takezo

imported post

Oh... it gets worse.

I forgot about this.... let's say you are being extorted by Yakuza. Let's say they want 20 million Yen for some reason. You own a business or something. Let's say you go to the police for help. Mostly likely they will advise you to pay. They will tell you that they most likely will not be able to protect you, even if they did arrest the individual/s that are extorting you. Because if they did, his friends will exact revenge.

Police will do nothing because.... in most cases they are corrupt. They work hand in hand with the criminal gangs to keep violence off the streets. There is absolutely no street violence in Japan (except for that nut job who stabbed all those people, and he was a whacko). There are no "street thugs" that prey upon civilians. The Yakuza keeps this under control.

The Yakuza maintain corporate like offices. With logos, lapel pins, etc. Crime in Japan is institutionalized. All resturants, bars and public business pay juice to some Yakuza gang. You should read about it on the internet. It's very intersting.

There was an interesting program a few years back. A Fuji-sankai TV news crew was covering a Yakuza hit man as he was breaking into someone's house to kill him. No one called the police. The guy broke through the window, climbed into the house and stabbed a man to death--all on TV.

Now let's say you use deadly force to defend yourself from deadly force. You get arrested and procecuted. It's that simple.

This F'ing county is really turned up side down.

Shinmen Takezo

Tomahawk

imported post

Takezo wrote:
There are no "street thugs" that prey upon civilians. The Yakuza keeps this under control... Crime in Japan is institutionalized. All resturants, bars and public business pay juice to some Yakuza gang.

Very interesting. It seems that the difference between one criminal gang and the other is that one actually does fight crime.

Takezo

imported post

This is how they remain in business. the cops leave them to thier business, as long as they don't screw with civilians too much, and don't bring their stuff openly onto the streets.

There's a section in Tokyo called "Kabuki-cho." Its about the size of downtown SLC. And it is completely ceeded to the Yakuza. The Inagawa Kai (Inigawa Federation)dominate Tokyo. Osaksa (southernJapan) is run by the Yamaguchi-gumi-gumi (the biggest gand of them all 50,000 strong).

Kabuki-cho is the kai'sterritory completely. Anything goes here. But actually it's one of the safest sections of town. No thugs. No robbers. You can walk down the street with 10,000 yen bills hanging out of your pockets, and they won't touch you. Screw up in one of their bars or sex-shows, and you get beaten to a pulp and your ears cut off. Steal and you are dead.

The cops only patrol through here "going though the motions."

Shinmen Takezo

MountainManXD

imported post

I lived in Japan for a couple of years, and I was really surprised :shock:how many people lived in a condition white state.:lol::lol::lol: This is probably due to the lack of street crime as was mentioned. I once saw a hunched over grandma walking out of a bank counting a wad of $100 bills.:what: This would probably not advisable in most big cities in the U.S. I also heard that a person could get a license to own a rifle for hunting, but that it wasso restrictive that almost no one owned one. No one can control the crazies:banghead: , you can only stop them.:cuss:

Takezo

imported post

Yeah... like I said about rifles. They're strictly limited to game wardens and farmers who can demonstrate a need to possess them (varmint control). You must be licensed (which is a difficult process) to possess a rifle. Bolt action only, and the calibers are limited (small).

Too bad too, because Japan would be a hunter's paradise. The towns and woods in the country side are teaming with deer and game. They run wild and uncheckedin some small Japanese townships (which would be considered large by our standards... like Orem).

Fishing on the hand is a different animal there.... Japan fishing-wise is an enlightened country. Fishing is considered almost a constitutional right. This is an island nation. No licensing is required--even for foreigners (gaigiens). Whenever I go to Japan, I usually hop a train for the country side and stay ata Ryokan (small inn) in the foothills of Mt. Fuji. There's several places I like to hike in. But if a fellow fisherman spots you, be prepared to go a have a few beers with the guy before he drives you to his favorite spot.The country side locals are extremely friendly.

The place where I like to fish is right nextto a 500 year oldhistoric wooden bridge. It's right out of a story book. Imagine Provo canyon, but with no roads, no traffic, notubers. Waterfalls, etc. ...and instead of being surrounded by willows, you're surrounded by 100 ft tall bamboo forests. Imagine having tohike through the ruins of an ancient castle to getto your spot.

Also... public consumtion of alcaholic beverages is completely legal. In parks, trains, buses--everywhere. Imagine enjoying an Asahi super dry at 155 mph on the Nozumi (bullet train), while you are passing Mt. Fuji.

I wish I knew how to post photos on this site. I'd share some with you. Can somone here let me know how?

Shinmen Takezo

FOREIGNER

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Just follow these simple instructions. When you are posting or replying, click on the the image that has the red arrow pointing to it. When the window pops up, cut and paste the link to the photo, and it will appear. If you have a photo on our computer, you can upload it to a file host like photobucket.com.

pic.jpg

thx997303

imported post

Those would be some nice pictures, and I guess the place would be great to live, if it weren't for the gun control.