• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interviewing Inmates

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
"..60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed..."

That means 4 out of 10 criminals would NOT avoid it.

Be careful out there...

-- John D.
No. It means that 4 out of 10 criminals did not admit that they would avoid it.
BIG difference. :)

Yata hey

Michigander

imported post

A lot of criminals are on drugs, which will impare their minds, making them unafraid of weapons. I think I experienced that first hand when I saw a guy who was likely a crack head screaming at a gas station cashier.

With concealed carry, you have more if a choice of when to deploy your gun. With open carry, you might have to deploy it immediately. But at least with open carry 60% of criminals are likely to avoid attempting to victimize you. I'll take the 40% and a need to act quickly over the 60% better odds of being attacked, no doubt about it.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We have to take into account that these interviews are with criminals, not known for being "HONEST". Could we not say that these numbers are "iffy" at best?

We also have to consider the fact that, when not incarcerated, these BG's may be on drugs/alcohol or experiencing withdrawals from drugs, which will impair their judgement (which is already impaired since they choose criminal activity as a career).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
With concealed carry, you have more if a choice of when to deploy your gun. With open carry, you might have to deploy it immediately.
I'm not sure that is true. I think the data supports that many criminals are on mind altering substances. Many more are scared and rushing and have tunnel vision about the crime. If they are tweaked and scared and rushing around and have tunnel vision about the crime they may not even see me there at all let alone notice that I am carrying a black gun in a black holster on my hip. I also see how many regular people in my daily world do not notice I am carrying when OC or "sloppy CC" where I am printing like Gutenberg with OCD.

I just do not believe that anything resembling a majority of street criminals are going to place me in a situation where they notice my sidearm and now I have to draw and engage in a situation where I would not if I were CC. I'm sure that it has happened on some occassion. I know there are professional, organized thiefs and gangs out there and those guys I think much more likely to take me out or push me into an immediate draw, drop it or die scenario immediately. But then we probably have as much chance of running into those people as a subset of criminals as we have of running into a situation where we need to use lethal force in the first place.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I agree re: running into real pros.

And we have about the same chance of running into a professional boxer/martial artist/knife-fighter on the street, too, if we get forced into a fistfight. It's much more likely that they'll be average Joes of questionable fighting ability.

Thank God for that.

-- John D.