Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Mayor To Announce Gun Restrictions On Seattle City Property

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    SEATTLE -- Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels has called a news conference where he is expected to announce restrictions on concealed weapons on city property.

    Nickels has said the restriction is needed because of a shooting at last month's Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center that wounded two people.

    Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske also is scheduled to attend Monday's news conference.


    The mayor can issue an executive order directing policies for city properties and actions of city employees and agencies.

    Link: http://www.kirotv.com/news/16548261/...ws&gg=true

  2. #2
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    State preemption........anyone? Is anyone in office paying attention to the LAW regarding anything about this??

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    They are planning to post city property under last year's State Supreme Court ruling on the Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Assn. case.



  4. #4
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    Mayor Nickles Exective Order 07/08

    http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/executi...Facilities.pdf

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    Sounds like Philedelphia all over again. Time for a letter-writing campaign to the State Attorney General?

  6. #6
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Post imported post

    Under the EO law enforcement is exempted but only with a "department issued" firearm. Backup gun or personal arm would be banned!

    Get asked to leave under threat of arrest and you have standing! Kaching!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    886

    Post imported post

    Last time I checked, there was already a law against shooting peopleduring a minor argument, so why would this help? I don't get it?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moscow, ID
    Posts
    384

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    State preemption........anyone? Is anyone in office paying attention to the LAW regarding anything about this??
    Nickels thinks he IS the law

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Just called OLY 360 664 6616. The lady that answered says that what the mayor is doing is wrong and illegal. So my question is if any one gets arrested because of this new "law" Can that person sue the city? Wow I need some money!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Bobarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    Dave,

    do you have any more detail or a link about the Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Assn. case? i'd love to read it to see if this will have any teeth.

    Bobby

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bobarino wrote:
    Dave,

    do you have any more detail or a link about the Pacific Northwest Shooting Park Assn. case? i'd love to read it to see if this will have any teeth.

    Bobby
    Go here and do a search for Pacific Northwest Shooting. It is the second in the returned list.

    http://srch.mrsc.org:8080/wacourts/t....htm?view=main
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  12. #12
    Regular Member Bobarino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    Thanks Joe! you make good motorcycle gear. i read the case. it seems to me that this isn't applicable with regards to Heir Nickels ban. in the case, the city approved the permit for use of its facility with certain (15) conditions including no sales by unlicensed dealers. the show goers didn't like it, sued saying it violated 9.41.290 and 9.41.300 and lost. appeals court agreed, supreme court agreed. the city did NOT however ban firearms from the premisis as Nickels is trying to do. two totally different things here. Nickels IS violating .290 and .300. he knows it. how can he not? his EO won't fly.

    its nice to see that the firearms community is coming together to fight this but frankly, its a battle that doesn't need to be fought. its self defeating. all we have to do is sit back and watch it not pass muster. if Seattle tried to enforce it, it'll go to court, charges will be dismissed and the ban will prove as useless as Nickels himself.

    sure the city is a land owner but its also a municipality which is covered under .290 and .300.

    so, as they say, carry on.

    Bobby

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Just called OLY 360 664 6616. The lady that answered
    And she is?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    deanf wrote:

    I beleive her name was Laura
    Just called OLY 360 664 6616. The lady that answered
    And she is?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    I beleive her name was Laura


    And she works for . . ?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    deanf wrote: Dept of firearm licensing
    I believe her name was Laura
    And she works for . . ?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bobarino wrote:
    Thanks Joe! you make good motorcycle gear. i read the case. it seems to me that this isn't applicable with regards to Heir Nickels ban. in the case, the city approved the permit for use of its facility with certain (15) conditions including no sales by unlicensed dealers. the show goers didn't like it, sued saying it violated 9.41.290 and 9.41.300 and lost. appeals court agreed, supreme court agreed. the city did NOT however ban firearms from the premisis as Nickels is trying to do. two totally different things here. Nickels IS violating .290 and .300. he knows it. how can he not? his EO won't fly.

    its nice to see that the firearms community is coming together to fight this but frankly, its a battle that doesn't need to be fought. its self defeating. all we have to do is sit back and watch it not pass muster. if Seattle tried to enforce it, it'll go to court, charges will be dismissed and the ban will prove as useless as Nickels himself.

    sure the city is a land owner but its also a municipality which is covered under .290 and .300.

    so, as they say, carry on.

    Bobby
    I agree my gear is the best.

    The point of the majority ruling he is using for this EO is that they say that municipalities may regulate firearms when they are doing business the same as a private party. What Nickels and his lawyers fail to see is that they are not acting as a private party in the sense that no one is entering into a contract with him to lease the city property.

    I see his outlook and reading of the ruling but he is reading it very narrowly and conveniently overlooking the important parts that matter in the ruling.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •