• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finding a pro-2A lawyer?

h2ojunkie

imported post

While we all hope the day never comes where we need to defend ourselves, I would think it's not a bad idea to know/have a relationship with a pro 2A lawyer to handle any self defense claims.

And of course, there are the few anti cops out there, and while it'snot acommon problem in Nevada, a run in with one of these anti's could end up spelling trouble.

Considering those factors, do any of you keep your lawyers phone number handy at all times?

How did you go about finding a pro 2A lawyer in the first place?

This is something I've thought about for years, but it always seems to get put on the back burner. Maybe it's time I get off my but and actually know who I'm going to call should trouble ever arise in advance.

P.S. If you already know of a good 2A lawyer, please do let me know.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Well, from what I've read on the subject, (and I'm no expert), what you probably need is a criminal defense lawyer, not a 2a lawyer. Unless you are trying to prove that some law is unconstitutional.

I don't even know a lawyer. I've never spoken with one, unless if I just didn't realize they were one. Having no money for the present also means I probably won't be meeting any lawyerssoon either. But I would highly recommend having a good lawyer in today's litigious society.

h2ojunkie

imported post

That is what I meant basically, a good criminal defense lawyer that happened to be pro 2A.

I figure having a lawyer that actually believes in what they are defending would probably do a better job with the defense.

But I guess it couldn't hurt to know a good pro 2A civil attorney as well.

jfrey123

imported post

I've got a long winded response to this question, ver batum from my CCW instructor. However, the main points are:

-Find a defense attorney who used to be a cop, DA, etc. Find an attorney who knows how to relate to the judges, authorites. You'll likely need to have a repore with this attorney before hand: hire him to draw a will or some other document. A good lawyer may not be willing to represent you if you call him up and say, "Hi, I'm a CCW holder, I shot somebody, and I need a good lawyer."

-Do not hire 'Johnny Phonebook' lawyers, even if their ad says 'We get everybody off the hook." Off the hook to him might mean getting you 2 years instead of 10. Plus, he already has an image with local authorities and judges as representing gang bangers and thugs. If you're seen associating with him, you might become guilty by association. (Shouldn't happen, but it does)

Pro 2A is helpful, former LEO is better...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
<snip>
Pro 2A is helpful, former LEO is better...
I agree. You just don't want an anti-2A lawyer. Most lawyers will do an adequate job representing your interests regardless of his own opinions (so long as your checks keep cashing). For a sensitive issue like 2A, a former LEO is a great ally.

OTOH, I think alot depends on the upcoming Supreme Court decision in Heller. If there's an overwhelming majority in support of "2A protects individuals, not militias", I think that precedent alone (a pro-2A court) will be enough to sway many judges. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

And of course, independent of any ruling/opinion, consider the fact that Heller (and friends) had to go all the way to the Supreme Court to argue having a shotgun in their HOME for self defense was not unreasonable... 2A fights are neither brief nor cheap. Be prepared for a long fight, and you better have a box of cash sitting next to your box of ammo.

Kahrboy40

Peace of mind

Here's a place you might want to start.
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org.
They are based out of Washington. If you sighn up for $85 a year as a member you get alot of good info and if you ever get into a selfdefense position they may be there to help. Both as recognized pros and monetarily.
I'm a member. They also have attorney referrels through their network that are 2A.
Just a couple of their recommendations: cgplqwgroup.com and mylasvegaslawyer.com
These are local LV attorneys.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I carry Travis Barricks # on a raffle ticket (no last name) in the same sleeve as my ID in my wallet.

He is limited on the Criminal side but since he is a friend, he will get me outta Sh*t Creek if I need.
In Vegas:
Travis Recomends Conrad Klouse for criminal, also there is another that I am familiar with, his name is Ozzy I will get the #'s together and I will have Travis talk to Conrad to give him a heads up on our situatuion, it is possible we can run something through Guerrilla Lawfare and gain a little more leverage. I just put it on the list, bump this thread a little to remind me.

Judge.410

Lawyer

I asked my firearms instructor for the name of a good pro-gun defence lawyer as well as a good gunsmith. He provided me with both right away. Just a thought, but I am getting together with 5 or 6 of my gun toting friends and we plan to split the cost of an hours fee with counsel and ask a battery of questions .....will you answer the phone at 2a.m.? ....will you travel to the jail at 2a.m. to meet me (any of my group)? ....can we as a group start paying a monthly payment as retainer ?....will you even meet with us as a group? Also I think U.S.C.C.A is trying to come up with a insurance package of some type for it's members if it is somewhat reasonable.

"Those Who Lose Everything....Have Nothing To Lose....Then They Lose It"