• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rocky Mount

Bob Robertson

imported post

Hi. I'm living in Rocky Mount, and have seen one person with OC in a park and, now that I've read that parks are verboten, it must have been a cop as my first instinct suggested.

A search of the forum shows no one has mentioned Rocky Mount yet, so I guess this is a first.

I did get a CCW here, having had one (two, actually) in California, and the scare stories about arbitrary enforcement of laws against "creating an environment of fear", especially in Raleigh, were floated around the room.

I like OC from an ethical and principled position, but with two kids I'm really not prepared to put myself in a position to get "detained".

If anyone else is OC in/around Rocky Mount, I'd love to hear your stories.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Parks aren't automatically off limits by state law. They are only off limits if the municipality in question has specific ordinances restricting carry in parks. For instance, the city that I live in has an ordinance that is supposed to restrict concealed carry, but since it only specifies concealed carry, open carry is perfectly legal.

I have not carried in Rocky Mount, but if/when I am in that area again, I will be openly carrying without hesitation. I say go for it, and you'll be surprised by the lack of reaction you get. Just make sure you're familiar with state and local laws.

Bob Robertson

imported post

Oh well, parks are out. Thanks to http://www.municode.com/

http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=11483&sid=33

Sec. 14-3. Possession of dangerous weapons.
It shall be unlawful for any person to display or willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, loaded cane, brass iron or metallic knuckles, razor, pistol, shotgun, rifle or other deadly weapon of like kind upon or in any city park, city transit bus, or city building or portion thereof, owned, leased as lessee, operated, occupied, managed, or controlled by the city, as well as the appurtenant premises to any such city building. It shall also be unlawful for any person to possess such dangerous or deadly weapons while under the influence of intoxicating drink, or at the premises of a church, polling place, or other place of public assembly. The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) Persons authorized by state or federal law to carry dangerous or deadly weapons in the performance of their duties; or
(2) Persons participating in city sponsored events, programs, displays, or activities involving dangerous or deadly weapons provided such persons have been expressly authorized by the chief of police to display or have in their possession or control the dangerous or deadly weapon they possess or control.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

That law looks like it at least partially violates NC's preemption, like the part about churches. I wonder if that makes the whole law void?

jack

Banned
imported post

I have carried in Rocky Mount and was recently observed by several officers while gassing up. A friendly nod and I waved back, that was it. No harassment , dirty look etc. Open carry everywhere (except prohibited places) and don't worry, have a extra mag.