• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me decide...

caltain

imported post

I do woodcarving as a hobby, but I'm getting pretty good. I'm thinking about doing a relief carving, at full scale, of a pistol or revolver. My intention is to do the carving and then donate it to VCDL for their use in a raffle or as a presentation piece. My problem is this. I love my Sig 226. Your mileage may vary. What I'm looking for is opinions on what the subject handgun should be. Bear in mind that it needs to be common enough, or publicly depicted well enough that I can get the details, specs and multiple angle photos. Failing that, I'll need a volunteer that has one to take some photos under controlled conditions that I will provide. Even better, to loan it to me to take the measurements and photos, or use as a model for the work.

So here's the big question...

What handgun would you most like to have on your wall as an original woodcarving?

caltain

CRF250rider1000

imported post

The 1911 would be very nice. That is a very cool hobby. I have tried it before but uhhh lets just say we didn't fit each other:lol: Anyways I would like to see it when it gets completed it sounds like it should be a great project. You could even stain the slide and body different shades:)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also agree as to the 1911A1. There are fan boys who love and hate about every model pistol out there, but there seems to be almost universal respect (and rightfully so) for the 1911A1.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I love my Glock, but I'll be the first to say they're butt ugly. I wouldn't want my life to depend on a 1911, but man they're pretty, nothing better for a piece of art.

Phat Shantz

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Colt Peacemaker

Iconic. Venerable. Identifiable in every language from Spaghetti Western to John Wayne. Art with function.

The others? They're fine for the job. Colt? It's like holding a piece of Eden.

Sleepless

imported post

I am bias towards the Springfield XD but I would actually agree with the majority and say go with the 1911A1.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Hi Point C9
Ha, I've got one uglier:
Steyr MA1
steyrma1.jpg