• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is not good, 4 year old shoots self in Sam's

PT111

imported post

This is not good from any standpoint.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8451232

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -Authorities saya four-year-oldgirl from Salley is recovering after she grabbed a gun out of her grandmother's purse and shot herself in the Harbison Blvd. Sam's Club Monday.

The childunderwent emergency surgeryMonday afternoon at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital.

Lewis says no major organs were hit by the bullet, and the child is out of surgery and in therecovery room right now. The hospital says she's in stable condition.

Investigators tell WIS News 10's Stewart Moore they believe the child was sitting in her grandmother's shopping cart when she pulled a small-caliber handgun out of her grandmother's shopping cart and accidentally shot herself in the chest.

The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras near the store's pharmacy.

"They made an announcement that they were closing and that there was an official on the scene. No announcements to what happened," said Heath Mills, who was in the store at the time.

CPD spokesmanBrick Lewis says the grandmother has not been charged with a crime, and no other injurieshave beenreported.

Lewis says the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a weapons permit.

Store officials say the store was closed for about an hour after the shooting.

"Everyone at Sam's Club is deeply saddened by today's tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family," said Tara Stewart, South Carolina spokesperson for Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.

Stewartsaid as of right now they do not have a policy on concealed weapons, but after this incident, that could change.

"While we don't have a sign posted, Ithink everyone knows the rules and laws. We are working with police to make changes if necessary," said Stewart.

compmanio365

imported post

Well, sorry to say it, but the grandmother is an idiot for leaving her purse alone with the kid knowing full well she had a loaded gun in there........she should be charged with negligence of some kind........use the laws we have to fix the situation......instead people will be calling for more useless laws to "fix the problem" that doesn't exist.........:banghead:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So many things wrong with this I don't know where to begin. If you're not willing to keep your purse clung close to your body at all times, then your gun should not be in it. Get a concealment holster that is on your body.

I also wonder if this was the first time this little girl ever saw a real gun. No amount of sheltering can replace proper education.

I really hope Walmart/Sams doesn't have the knee jerk reaction that the spokesperson seems to indicate may be coming.

Opie

imported post

Yep - that's a real shame. And South Carolina doesn't recognize Virginia concealed handgun permits because the training requirements are not as rigorous as those in South Carolina.

tarzan1888

imported post

A couple of years ago, my then 6 year old granddaughter spent the summer with us.

One of the first things I did was take her to my room, sit her down, show her my carry gun and explain to her what it is and why I carry it. (to protect those I love.)

I taught her the first 2 firearms rules, (Treat every gun as if it is loaded and never point any gun at anything you don't want to destroy) and I gave her strict instructions that if she ever saw a gun she was not to touch it , but was to go immediately to an adult she trusted and tell them what she had seen.

If you teach them correct principles then they can govern themselves.

I know my granddaughter learned her lesson as illustrated by the following story.

My wife, my daughter, my granddaughter and I were on a hike in the woods. I was pointing out the beauties of nature, which is my way, and we came across some bear scat. I pointed this out to my family and as my granddaughter realized what this was and what it meant about the trail that we were on, her eyes got very big and she looked up at me and said. "Grandpa, do you have your gun with you?" I answered that I did. She let out a relieved sigh and said. "Oh good." She knew that I was still able to protect her.

It is the vested responsibility of those who chose to carry to educate those they love and are to protect, as to the nature, purpose and proper handling of firearms.

This grandmother did not fulfill her responsibility.

Tarzan

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
:cuss: Again, one stupid f!@$%ing b*&!h may ruin it for everyone. Stupid, stupid irresponsible woman!! :banghead:
Those damned concealed carry people ruining it for us open carriers...

:?

Anyhow, I'd also take issue with the fact that the child was obviously out of sight of the grandmother at the time... since the child shot herself in the chest, it sounds as though she was fiddling with it for a while. I could be wrong, though.

Sitrep

imported post

How do you shoot yourself in the chest and miss all of the vital organs? What caliber was this that failed to kill a 4 year old?

I'm glad that the girl is recovering and only in serious condition. Shows that children are never to young to be taught the basics about firearms.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sitrep wrote:
How do you shoot yourself in the chest and miss all of the vital organs? What caliber was this that failed to kill a 4 year old?
Well, stopping power and lethality are not necessarily the same thing. Just because it did not kill her doesn't mean it didn't stop her.

Edit: OMG, this is a discussion about the tragic injury of a 4 year old. I think I need to go take a shower now after saying that.

PT111

imported post

Sitrep wrote:

I'm glad that the girl is recovering and only in serious condition. Shows that children are never to young to be taught the basics about firearms.
The reports I have read said either a .22 or .25 and the bullet went all the way through her torso. A miracle indeed.

Sitrep

imported post

Yes, I am sure the stopping power required for a 4 year old is quite low.

I don't mean to make light of this poor little girls injuries, but it does sound like she is doing ok.

edit: Through the torso without hitting any vital organs, wow, I think that should earn her some kind of marksmanship badge.

MetalChris

imported post

mebbe a mod could merge this thread w/ the other one pertaining to this subject.

or they could just go through the forum randomly locking threads... :uhoh:

;)

kurtmax_0

imported post

This is why you should always carry your firearm on your body somewhere. You will know immediately if someone is snatching it. It's too easy to leave a bag laying around for someone to rummage around in.

I understand that for many females it's hard to carry a firearm on a belt holster, but there are many ways to carry not in your purse. And, well, this being OC.org, may I suggest that females just carry it unconcealed? :D

imperialism2024

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
This is why you should always carry your firearm on your body somewhere. You will know immediately if someone is snatching it. It's too easy to leave a bag laying around for someone to rummage around in.

I understand that for many females it's hard to carry a firearm on a belt holster, but there are many ways to carry not in your purse. And, well, this being OC.org, may I suggest that females just carry it unconcealed? :D
Well, South Carolina doesn't present that option...

MetalChris

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
And, well, this being OC.org, may I suggest that females just carry it unconcealed? :D
I for one don't think a senile old woman (or man) should be allowed to carry a gun, just like they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

And please note I said senile, I of course don'tthink that all of our senior citizens should be disarmed.

/dons asbestos suit

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
And, well, this being OC.org, may I suggest that females just carry it unconcealed? :D
I for one don't think a senile old woman (or man) should be allowed to carry a gun, just like they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

And please note I said senile, I of course don'tthink that all of our senior citizens should be disarmed.

/dons asbestos suit
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... except for persons elderly, senile AND female.

Personally I think she should be charged with criminal negligence or child endangerment. I don't believe the state should have the power to issue CHPs so I don't think they should have the power to take them away. But criminal charges should be filed. This is just way too irresponsible.

imperialism2024

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

/dons asbestos suit
So, then, who decides what is "senile"?

The same people who decide who is "fit" to carry a gun? Who goes into the magical Brady "prohibited persons" list? Who "needs" to carry a gun in may-issue states?

It's simple: if a person can be trusted to exist in public, that person deserves his natural right to self defense by carrying a handgun. Otherwise, that person must be in a secure facility (jail or mental institution) that will provide protection. To deny someone the right to protection is in itself criminally negligent.