• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

London Telegraph covers the open carry movement!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/2100677/American-gun-owners-call-for-cowboy-holsters-to-be-worn-in-public.html

American gun owners call for cowboy holsters to be worn in public
Tom Leonard in New York
Last Updated: 12:52AM BST 10/06/2008

A growing number of Americans are exercising their right not just to own guns but to carry them around in public.

As a debate continues in Washington over the constitutional right to gun ownership, supporters of the so-called "open carry" movement argue that sidearms should be precisely that - a common accessory to be worn freely.

Their right to wear their gun, usually on a holster at their hip, as they go about their day is protected in state laws that override any constitutional ruling in the US capital, they claim.

The founders of OpenCarry, an internet-based organisation that offers advice on gun carrying, say they now have 5,000 members.

They regularly get together for social events, such as pistol-packing picnics, as well as helping each other with legal advice.

Their website, whose motto is "A right unexercised is a right lost", offers guidance on where it is legal to wear a gun openly.

It includes state-by-state advice on the rules covering restaurants, travelling and - most controversially given the Virginia Tech massacre and other shootings - colleges.

John Pierce, the co-founder of OpenCarry, said yesterday that they were trying to remind Americans of their rights.

Mr Pierce, a computer consultant from Virginia, told The Daily Telegraph he wears his Glock 9mm semi-automatic on a side holster every day, including in the office and when he takes his children to the playground.

Often, people didn't even notice it, he said. "People are carrying pagers, BlackBerrys, cellphones, They see a black lump on your belt and their eyes slide off."

He said that while many US states had in recent years allowed people to carry concealed guns, owners tended not to realise that they were also entitled to bear them openly.

Although confrontations with police are common, such incidents had declined as law enforcement agencies became aware that it was not against the law, he said.

Many of his own members were police officers, he added. "We're not part of real crime, we're law-abiding citizens. It's simply a visible aspect of a civil right."

Gun control groups say at least eight states largely ban public gun carrying, including Iowa and New Jersey.

Other states have specific restrictions. Utah, for example, allows the practice so long as the gun is two mechanical steps from firing, such as being uncocked and having no bullet in the chamber.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Does anybody know who/why the LA Times and the London Telegraph decided to do neutral to slightly positive articles on OC? :shock:

Legba

imported post

They simply plagiarized the original AP (or whatever agency) copy, being too lazy and unimaginative to embellish it in light of their own normal editorial bias? Maybe they thought the "god, these guys are whackos" angle was self-evident and didn't need explication. Just guessing. I somehow doubt they've all embraced our cause suddenly.

-ljp

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would say the London Telegraph story is neither neutral or positive. They did their best to make it negative within the context of the original story in the the LA Times, which again, I don't think was postive, but rather a case of a reporter neutrally reporting. It looks positive because we are so use to editorialized news.

From the London Telegraph article:

Headline: American gun owners call for cowboy holsters to be worn in public
Not a positive headline and shows their clear bias.

"as they go about their day is protected in state laws that override any constitutional ruling in the US capital, they claim. "

Clearly not factual on numerous levels.

It includes state-by-state advice on the rules covering restaurants, travelling and - most controversially given the Virginia Tech massacre and other shootings - colleges.

VT has nothing to do with the story but they throw it in to color the story.

I'll give them credit for not being as overtly bias as they typically are in reporting on such matters. However, where the article is anything but "just the facts, ma'am" it is biased against gun rights. I do read the Telegraph online about weekly and it is not quit as yellow as many of their others such as the Sun.

Basic Guy

imported post

You have to understand that for most people in the UK any American who would publically acknowledge that they merely own a firearm is tantamount to an admission of total lunacy. The idea of firearms ownership to most of them is so completely beyond the pale that they would see no reason to even discuss the idea.

So when they mention that there are Americans who walk around with a gun out in the open - in their world - it requires no further explanation that these armed "septics" are out of their minds.

swillden

imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
You have to understand that for most people in the UK any American who would publically acknowledge that they merely own a firearm is tantamount to an admission of total lunacy. The idea of firearms ownership to most of them is so completely beyond the pale that they would see no reason to even discuss the idea.
True.

I was working a project in Mexico City a few years ago. Most of the team was Mexican, but there were a few Brits as well. I was the only American. The subject of guns came up one day and I was asked "Do you own a gun?". I responded that I had a owned a few. The response surprised me. It wasn't negative, exactly, these people knew me too well at that point to think me crazy or dangerous, but it did take them aback. There was a moment of silence followed by a joke about how I owned guns, plural. I started to explain that yes, I had different kinds of rifles and shotguns for different kinds of hunting, but the subject was clearly uncomfortable, so we moved on.

That was years before I got a carry permit, and long before I ever found out that it's legal to carry openly. I wonder now how they would have responded if I'd said "Certainly, and I carry a gun everywhere I go. The only reason I'm not wearing one now is because they're illegal here in Mexico."

CrossFire

imported post

I make an annual trip to the UK every March and have since March 2003. On my trip this past March I had the opportunity to discuss gun ownership and carrying, consealed or open, with a few of the people that have befriended me over the years. Igot responses that ranged from " why would you want to " to outright envy. Things in theUK are much different now than they were when the people were duped into giving their guns up. Crime isrunning rampant and Bobbies are no longer unarmed, just the law abidingpeople. Thereare private gun club popping up in which you can buy a gun and ammo but they have to be stored in the club building in lockers.

Tomahawk

imported post

I once wrote an eLTE to one of the British papers in response to some silly anti-gun article they published online. In my letter I explained how Washington is full of crime despite the fact that DC is rabidly anti-gun, and yet over here on this side of the Potomac River I couldwalk into the Virginia general assembly building openly carrying a pistol and it was just fine. The following comments were quite a collection of hissy fits. I guess they like their high crime rates over there.

MetalChris

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I once wrote an eLTE to one of the British papers in response to some silly anti-gun article they published online. In my letter I explained how Washington is full of crime despite the fact that DC is rabidly anti-gun, and yet over here on this side of the Potomac River I couldwalk into the Virginia general assembly building openly carrying a pistol and it was just fine. The following comments were quite a collection of hissy fits. I guess they like their high crime rates over there.
Yup.

Attachments

• ostrich-head.jpg
    ostrich-head.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 103