Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Shooters

Post imported post

I recently had two experiences at sharp shooters in spokane. I went there on Sat. I was OC ofcource. (I had my CZ on my hip and had my nagant in a buttoned down holster in my hand) I went to the counter to rent a lane.

Counter Guy: your guns need to be in a bag or case and you can't have that on your hip.

Me: It is in its case these are the holsters they were issued in before you were born. and WA is an open carry state.

CG: We ask that you follow all RCW's

Me: I am following them so why can't I open carry.

CG (obviously getting frustrated) Please just carry like you would if you were in your bank.

ME: IOpen Carry in the bank, but since you said please next time I won't open carry.

Now fast forward to today. I went with Slack for a range session. I just got off work so my guns were in the saddle bags. I had the same two guns in their issued holsters in my hand.

Different Counter guy: those need to be in a case or even a walmart bag. you can't shoot that Tokarov here.

ME: ok but I shot it on Sat. and it is a CZ 52. Why can I not shoot it?

CG: too much penetration. good for bad guys with body armor bad for backstops.

ME: ok I appreciate the info.

Other than that they were quite helpful. but if I can find a better range that is close I will use it.

Post imported post

i was wondering what was going on there, i was too busy looking at all the,
    nifty 9mm's and wasn't paying to much attention to what CG was saying.

Post imported post

Per my post back in April......
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ghlight=m1gunr

Posted: Sat Apr 12th, 2008 01:55 pm

I decided to check out the Sharp Shooting indoor range & gun shop at 1200 North Freya, here in Spokane. When I got to the building there is a big red stop sign at the door that reads "All Weapons Must Be Cased."
    I talked to the guy at the counter and I quote "as long as it can't be seen either on your person or in a case, you're welcome to bring it in. No Open Carry Allowed."
    Their policy doesn't allow you to handle the guns in the display case either. Guns can only be handled on the range. Nice range but the prices were a bit high for range time, weapons, accessories and gear.

http://www.sharpshooting.net/index.asp

Post imported post

They are definitely anti-OC in there. No doubt about that one.

I was able to handle two of their display case guns though. A G21 and XD45, just had to aim it down an empty hallway.

Post imported post

I have only been in there twice, and each time I did not feel comfortable. I am not sure what it is.

There won't be a third time.

bob

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Sharp Shooters has a contact page at http://www.sharpshooting.net/contact.aspand I just left them this, whaddya think?

Hello, my name is Bob Cavalcante and I'm visiting Spokane for a short while and was looking for a range to practice and a place for supplies and heard about your shop. Sharp Shooters seems like a decent place and the kind of place that I would patronize except for one thing: you don't allow Open Carry (OC).
    I recently read on OpenCarry.org (OCDO) (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=11776 ) that you have a sign on your door stating that all firearms must be cased and one of our OCDO members on who recently visited was informed by an employee that while CC is acceptable, you have a policy prohibiting OC.

I am both amazed and offended that a gun store would have such a sign and policy that discriminates against OC'ers. I'm sure you are aware that Washington is a traditional Open Carry state and enjoys complete state preemptino of all county and municipal firearms laws. Concealed Carry is most certainly a privilege granted by the state (an infringement) and certainly not a right, while OC is a far sight closer to the actual right to "bear" arms as intended by our Founders. I would be very interested in hearing hear how you have determined that my OC firearm is more dangerous than any other CC firearm allowed in your store?

I spent 20 years in the US Navy definding this nation, have been trained with firearms time and time again, have been fingerprinted, DNA sampled and background investigated many times over and am even a ATF FFL-03 Licensed Firearms Collector of Curios and Relics. I do not need to "prove" my training or ability to be safe to anybusiness or to any state any further than I already have.

As an American, I fully understand and respect that your private property rights overrule my RKBA. As an avid Open Carrier, a Second Amendment Activist, Moderator of OpenCarry.org and consumer I will not go disarmed and therefore unfortunately cannot patronize your store, nor recommend it to my friends on OCDO as long as your policy against Open Carry is in effect. I would most certainly hate to see Sharp Shooters added toour list of "Washington Businesses that Ban Guns" located at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/3630.html

I invite you to come take a look at http://www.OpenCarry.org and visit our discussion at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com. We have thousands of members across the nation,some international members as well and are quite involved in supporting all gun rights not only in Washington state, but across the nation. Youwill find that many if not most OC'ers are in the same category as me andhave been thoroughly trainied and some are even more acutely aware of the current firearms lawsthan most CC instructors,LEO's and politicians.

OCprovides us the opportunity to engage and educatethe public on not just the legality of OC but the fact that not only LEO's or criminals carry guns, but average Americansgoing about their daily lives. It certainly helpscounter the stereotypes of gun carriers that have permeated the liberally biased media as of late. OC isalso more comfortable, faster when necessary andquite the crime deterrent.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your anti-OCpolicy and open your doors to myself and the rapidly growing number of Open Carriers here in the Spokane area. I am available should you be willing todiscuss this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you and look forward to the day when I and the other OC'ers in Spokane can patronize your store.

Most Sincerely,
    Bob Cavalcante

Post imported post

Good letter Bob. I look forward to their response.

Post imported post

What sucks is they are the only real choice in this area. The SpokaneRifle Club does have a range, but it is only open to the public 2 days a week, and it costs even more than the $17 at SharpShooting...

Post imported post

It appears they are embarrassed about being a gun business and hiding the guns other than the ones they are sellingis a PC way to deal with it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well the reply I got today was the quoted truncated message I sent with no comment. Perhaps their comment software has limits. Resending directly to Robin. I'll keep you posted!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well the reply I got today was the quoted mangled and truncated message I sent with no comment. Perhaps their comment software has limits. Resending directly to Robin. I'll keep you posted!

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Well the reply I got today was the quoted mangled and truncated message I sent with no comment. Perhaps their comment software has limits. Resending directly to Robin. I'll keep you posted!
    Please do. If they are really this opposed to having a firearm in their establishmet (unless it is locked in a case) I might start looking at the $180 it would cost to get 1 year to the Spokane Rifle Club (much longer drive, but facilities do look nice)

Post imported post

Nice letter Bob. With a little generalizing this could be a blanket letter for other businesses. Anyone else feel the same way?

Post imported post

might start looking at the $180 it would cost to get 1 year to the Spokane Rifle Club (much longer drive, but facilities do look nice)
    The 180 dollars is just for the first year, after that it is 100 dollars a year. Not really that bad. If you go to Sharp Shooters every two months you have spent the 100 dollars.

THe first year is also prorated and reduced by 25 dollarsper quarter.

bob

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, just got a reply from Robin Ball, the owner. It seems that she's a staunch supporter of the RKBA and quite the activist herself:

http://www.nrahq.org/women/2005-ball.asp

Shecaters to all, but emphasizes on bringing in new shooters namelywomenthat have not been around guns without them feeling scared in her store in the presence of OC. She has some very common mis-conceptions about OC and doesn't even allow LEO's to OC in the store.

I'm sending her a PDF of the WGRPamphlet and will attempt to set the record straight, but as said, I do not like CC, will NOT CC and uless the ppolicy changes,will not go disarmed in her store, no matter how good theprices. (Besides, I get the same dealer discount she does as a C&R License holder!)

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Well, just got a reply from Robin Ball, the owner. It seems that she's a staunch supporter of the RKBA and quite the activist herself:

http://www.nrahq.org/women/2005-ball.asp

Shecaters to all, but emphasizes on bringing in new shooters namelywomenthat have not been around guns without them feeling scared in her store in the presence of OC. She has some very common mis-conceptions about OC and doesn't even allow LEO's to OC in the store.

I'm sending her a PDF of the WGRPamphlet and will attempt to set the record straight, but as said, I do not like CC, will NOT CC and uless the ppolicy changes,will not go disarmed in her store, no matter how good theprices. (Besides, I get the same dealer discount she does as a C&R License holder!)
    Sure making the rifle club look better... So are you getting the feeling that CC is allowed than? The "All Weapons Must Be Cased." sign is a big deal. Don't think I can support a store/range that doesn't support my right to carry in any form other than a case.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Don't do anythingyet! While crafting a Bob Cavalcante special response (read very lengthly and verbose-lol), she looked at the site and has responded in the affirmative! More to follow shortly!

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Don't do anythingyet! While crafting a Bob Cavalcante special response (read very lengthly and verbose-lol), she looked at the site and has responded in the affirmative! More to follow shortly!
    Good news

Post imported post

I hope there is good news to follow. If they allow my OC, than I will start shopping there again. That would be good for me and them. But until then... I will continue to shop elsewhere and recommend the Spokane Rifle Club for shooting, and Center Target Sports for training and classes.

If they do change the policy, I would like to know.

Post imported post

If she responds well I will continue to use her range. If not I will continue to boycot it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Folks, Robin'sresponse to me was:

"As for the store, you can carry in here. I would never propose anything that would disarm you or any responsible gun owner."

WOOHOO! Thanks Robin!:celebrate

I offered some common sense policies that I'm sure are already in place such asno trying of holsters with loaded weapons, etc.She really appreciates the level of what we're doing here and I sent her links to OCDO, theWashington State Forum, a pdf of the WGR Flyer and the AG's opinion on Terry Stop.

She is very reasonable and extremely passionateaboutall aspects of gun ownershipespecially self-defense and we definitelyagree on a lot of points.I also asked her to perhaps put out some WGR Flyers in her store, on me.

I'll let you know more as it comes, but it's safe to say that Sharp Shooters is OC Friendly!

Post imported post

I thought it was a bit odd since I always OC into the Marksman Range. Glad she is willing to allow OC.

Post imported post

As much as I do not like driving to Post Falls for their classes and range, I will continue to do such until Sharp Shooters changes the policy. There are just too many other places to shop for guns to go somewhere that will not respect my RTKBA. I got dealers in town who can order me anything I need, and they allow me to open carry at anytime in their shop.

Why is it ok that at Sharp Shooters, the employees OC, but they do not let their customers do it? How do you think somebody who is not comfortable with guns feels about that when they walk in there? I would think that is almost as intimidating as any other stranger with a gun.

Just because they work at a gun range/shop does not mean that makes people more comfortable around firearms. To somebody who is uncomfortable around it, the employee is still a stranger with a gun. If I was a business owner, I would certainly not expect my customers give me their business if I felt like I could not put them, and their rights, ahead of my employees.

Seems to me that for somebody who is pro 2A, she definitely needs to think about protecting the individuals RTKBA, the whole thing, and not just the part that suits her. A lot of people say that "If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem". This is an instance where I definitely agree with that assesment.

In my eyes, somebody who defends the Constutution with a certain and comfortableprejudice, is not really defending it. While I respect an individuals right to set the rules on their own property, I won't send anybody there, or shop there, if they vehemently put me or my friends/acqauintances at risk by not allowing my firearm. I will gladly take my business elsewhere, which is what I have already done. It is worth it for me to drive a bit further to support a business that supports what I believe in.

Like I said though, I do hope they change the policy. But just as importantly, I hope they reflect on the issue and the big picture. It would be a shame for them to change the policy for open carriers, but do it only for the financial benefit, and not to support gun owners all across the board.

I mean, it's different strokes for different folks, but we are all in this battle to defend the entire Constitution together.

Post imported post

OOps. Looks like the thread was updated and now OC is OK. Yeahh:celebrate:celebrate

Disregard some of the previous post I made, but on't disregard all of it, as I did put a lot of thought into what I just said.

BOB, you rule!!!!! You have only been in town a few weeks and your helping us get stuff done. We all owe you a box of ammo, a beer or some hotwings, and a great big thank you!!!

Post imported post

When a business that relies on Gun Owners for their livlihood become "Gun Unfriendly" they will eventually learn the error of their ways. They will just go broke.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast