• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZCDL Action Alert

dclabounty

imported post

Just got the email. Thought I'd post it here for the people who aren't signed up.

HB 2634, the AzCDL-requested bill that clarifies that a person with an expunged or set-aside felony conviction, or one who has had their rights restored, may obtain a concealed weapons permit, passed out of the House Final Read on June 9, 2008 by a vote of 39-16, with 5 not voting, and has been sent to the Governor.

Unfortunately, it seems that politics may have trumped justice during this vote. HB 2634 passed out of the House Third Read by a unanimous vote on March 19, 2008 . Sixteen Representatives changed their votes during Final Read, including the two Democrat co-sponsors of HB 2634, Representatives Kyrsten Sinema and Chad Campbell. You can see how each Representative voted here: http://tinyurl. com/6pwphb .

If your Representatives voted against HB 2634, please take the time to voice your displeasure, and remind them it could affect how you vote in November. You can find your Representative here: http://www.azleg. gov/alisStaticPa ges/HowToContact Member.asp .

It is VERY important to contact the Governor, and urge her to sign HB 2634 into law. You can use your own message, or you can use the sample message below. Her email address is azgov@az.gov. You can also fax a letter to her at 602-542-1381.

Or you can mail it to her at the following address:

The Honorable Janet Napolitano
Governor of Arizona
1700 West Washington
Phoenix , Arizona 85007

You can also call her office, toll free, at 1-800-253-0883.
Following the sample letter are instructions on how to post your comments on the Governor's website.

Subject: Please sign HB 2634

Governor Napolitano:
The Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL) has informed me that important legislation, HB 2634, is awaiting your signature. I urge you to sign HB 2634 into law.

HB 2634 would make changes to ARS 13-3112 regarding the process for obtaining a concealed weapons permit. It provides that if an applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, they may apply for a permit if the conviction has been vacated or if their rights have been restored, provided that they are not currently a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

DPS has interpreted the current statutory language in the strictest possible manner, in order to deny permits to people convicted of minor felony offenses decades ago, people who have since demonstrated no tendency towards criminal behavior. Many of these people are allowed to purchase and posses firearms under federal law (some are even federally licensed firearms dealers), and carry them openly under Arizona law, yet they cannot get a CCW permit due to DPS' strict interpretation of existing statutory law.

The proposed changes to statute would allow these people the same protection under the law that every other citizen receives.

Again, I urge you to support sound public policy, and sign HB 2634 into law.

Sincerely,
Your Name
Street Address
City, AZ zip-code
telephone number

You can go to the Governor's website, http://azgovernor. gov/Contact. asp, where you will find a fill-in-the- blanks form to register your opinion. For "subject", scroll down and select "Legislation. " For "topic", fill in HB 2634.

You can add your own polite message urging her to sign HB 2634 in the "message/comment" area, or you can use the sample message above.

Stay tuned! Information on these and other bills can be found at the AzCDL website: http://www.azcdl. org/html/ legislation. html
These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today!
AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
http://www.azcdl. org/html/ join_us_. html
Copyright © 2008 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.

azcdlfred

imported post

whiskaz_55 wrote:
HB 2634, the AzCDL-requested bill that clarifies that a person with an expunged or set-aside felony conviction, or one who has had their rights restored, may obtain a concealed weapons permit, passed out of the House Final Read on June 9, 2008 by a vote of 39-16, with 5 not voting, and has been sent to the Governor.
Great news! The Governor signed HB 2634 on JUne 12, 2008.

What makes this significant is that 3 years ago this was a "third rail" issue. No legislator would touch it.

Fred

mzbk2l

imported post

That's great! I wouldn't have thought it had a chance of passing, until I came to the realization that rehabilitating criminals may be more important to dems than taking away guns. Some of them must have been torn on that one! :)