• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ordinance to Ban Guns on South Bend City Property

mochacup

imported post

South Bend is getting ready to pass a new ordinance that will ban handgun license holders from carrying on city property. The mayor says that they are doing this for safety reasons.... I don't know why these law makers keep thinking that they can pass new laws and the bad guys will just stop using their guns... Please contact the mayor's office and let them know that you are against this ordinance.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/19677674.html

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
I may be wrong, but doesn't Indiana have a pre-emption statute?

I was reading where a mayor is Washington State was trying to do the same thing.
I see you just joined - please update your profile with your city and state. Otherwise, we can;t track number of members from each state.

Skippy

mochacup

imported post

Skippy wrote:
mochacup wrote:
We must have upset the mayor with the emails and comments.... He scheduled a press event for today....

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/News01/739501956/-1/247news&template=247art
That article looks like it's about their stupid gun buyback program. I don't see anything about either a press conference or the moronic ordinance they're passing.
Skippy, I had said that he scheduled a press event, not a press conference on the ordinance. That gun buy back program took place last August. Don't you think it is a little odd that 2 days after the city ordinance came up the Mayor scheduled an event out at the police station to talk to reporters with a bunch of guns on the table in front of him? They have been storing those guns at the police station since August of last year. Why did he choose to have that press event out there today?

At any rate I'm writing Governor Daniels about removing the exclusion of preemption on local government.

mochacup

imported post

Fortunately the ordinance was tabled for now.... The FOP objected to the ordinance since off-duty officers would not be able to carry in the parks either. They had also stated that they wanted to see how the supreme court would rule in the DC case. The indication is that this issue will come back up later, but you are in the clear for now.