• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General Discussion and OT

docwatson

imported post

I thought general discussion was well....general.

We seem to be under some serious censorship lately and the excuse has been 'it's not Open Carry related'. I propose that the option then is to create another section of the board entirely to 'OT'' discussions and a slightly more 'free for all' environment. (Call it the 'Shark Tank'?)

Heck, create a 'Tin Foil Hat' section of the board too, and we can post all our stuff from the various anti-government sources for comment and discussion.

IMNSHO, policies relating to police powers and the use of them by the State has every impact on OC but we see that someone disagrees and locks down nearly *any* discussion disparaging po-po.

Let's end the censorship!

VAopencarry

imported post

As I understand it the owners do not want this website to be a talk about anything forum. There will not be an OT section. However, it doesn't have to be specifically OC related. From the forum Basic Rules

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"] 1) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.
[/font]

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

It's interesting that a site devoted to liberty and freedom is becoming so censored. This board is basically under the owners and moderators control and they control what is being said on it. It's not the same board I joined last year and with the recent choices on moderators it will get worse.

docwatson

imported post

Thanks for the info. I guess we should provide a tag of some kind for our discussions:
[Liberty] Use of Police Powers Increase [Liberty]

"blah blah blah. Jack booted thugs break down door and kill wrong family and thier household pets - says warrant was for the right address. No further investigation will be held in order to protect the officers identities. Department apologizes for not killing neighbors and thier pets, too. blah blah blah"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well that would be helpful, at least as moderator I might see the significance to OC and not lock it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Given the number of LEO and media who do visit this forum, I can well understand John and Mike's reluctance to allow things to wander to far afield. The longer I have been here the more I have come to understand their perspective on that issue.

On the other hand, given that I am not in a geographically desireable location in relation to most of the membership I get frustrated at the inability to just talk about "stuff" with people on here I want to get to know better and cannot meet with in person. Most of the VA and PA members have had opportunities to do so. For me to attend an event where I could meet several other active members would entail a 12-15 hour drive, $400 in gas and hotel expense.

As such I have been pondering this quandry for a while and have an idea: If WowBB is capable of it, I would like to see a private, hidden forum only available based on certain criteria. I have been a member, mod and admin on forums with this set up. Usually the private forum access requires at least a minimum post count for access, typically 3-6 months of average posting for the board, and a minimum time of membership in the 3-6 month range. Around here I would think the minimum post level would be set around 150 posts. Admin/mods retain the right to not admit at the minimum if most of those 150 are postwhoring. In other words, you have to be pretty much a regular for at least 3 months to be granted access. That eliminates the lurkers, trolls and hit and runners from being in there. From my experience, such hidden forums are loosely modded if modded at all and have no topic limitations, excepting that any NSFW material MUST be clearly labeled as such in the thread title or you get booted out of the private forum, and the normal rules about personal attacks and such apply. Most forums have such places for forum staff anyway.

Now, while I think that is a great idea, here is the sad part I also thought of - what if OCDO already has such a private forum and I just haven't been invited in :cry:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
[snip]
Now, while I think that is a great idea, here is the sad part I also thought of - what if OCDO already has such a private forum and I just haven't been invited in :cry:
way to put a damper on a great idea!

Another way to regulate who gets admitted, is to allow the state admins the ability to invite people to it.. depending on how big the private forum would be, state admins could alleviate some of the burden off of the Mods.

ETA: State admin idea

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Given the number of LEO and media who do visit this forum, I can well understand John and Mike's reluctance to allow things to wander to far afield. The longer I have been here the more I have come to understand their perspective on that issue.

On the other hand, given that I am not in a geographically desireable location in relation to most of the membership I get frustrated at the inability to just talk about "stuff" with people on here I want to get to know better and cannot meet with in person. Most of the VA and PA members have had opportunities to do so. For me to attend an event where I could meet several other active members would entail a 12-15 hour drive, $400 in gas and hotel expense.

As such I have been pondering this quandry for a while and have an idea: If WowBB is capable of it, I would like to see a private, hidden forum only available based on certain criteria. I have been a member, mod and admin on forums with this set up. Usually the private forum access requires at least a minimum post count for access, typically 3-6 months of average posting for the board, and a minimum time of membership in the 3-6 month range. Around here I would think the minimum post level would be set around 150 posts. Admin/mods retain the right to not admit at the minimum if most of those 150 are postwhoring. In other words, you have to be pretty much a regular for at least 3 months to be granted access. That eliminates the lurkers, trolls and hit and runners from being in there. From my experience, such hidden forums are loosely modded if modded at all and have no topic limitations, excepting that any NSFW material MUST be clearly labeled as such in the thread title or you get booted out of the private forum, and the normal rules about personal attacks and such apply. Most forums have such places for forum staff anyway.

Well you pretty much hit why unfortunately we can have a free for all here. While we are stronger than ever and are spreading out, we are still pretty much the hub of the open carry movement. A few prolific trolls could polarize the forum with unrelated issues, and hurt the cause. We already have to fight too hard not to be seen as anti police. I think we all would rather not be seen as against anything else we are not.

As for another forum, it would be nice, kinda like the split between The High Road and Armed Polite Society. You want to pay for it?

As for feeling alone in your area, the solution is to recruit more OCers. :celebrate

Sheriff

imported post

Member comp^2said it best, and I quote him/her.....

• What's wrong with going "off topic"? Just about any conversation that happens in person veers off of the original topic. Must we really compartmentalize everything on these forums? The minute somebody thinks of a side issue, must they really start a whole new thread, even if their side issue goes along nicely with the original thread? I don't understand the danger of veering "off topic". I do see the danger of veering off into inappropriate topics, but simply having the topic evolve is just a part of human conversation.
  • Who cares how many times somebody posts in a thread? If they are posting empty, spam-containing, or nonsensical posts, then sure that should be stopped. But should we really be counting what percentage of posts in a thread belong to a person...and make a cutoff? I certainly don't think so. Some people make really long posts, and that's fine. Similarly, some people like to more numerous, but shorter posts. Is it really any different from one big long post?
  • What's with the personal attacks? Why are people saying what others have or have not done in their professional lives? How the heck do you know? This is simply insulting and not fact-based. Can we please leave out the personal attacks? This is generally a common rule on internet forums, and I think we'd be better off if we abiding by it here, too.
  • I don't always agree with actions that internet forum moderators take, but generally I find it much easier to get upset with them when their personal opinions start colliding with their moderating abilities. Let me explain this outside of the internet-realm, and put it into perspective. Let's talk about police officers. While on duty, police officers are supposed to enforce the laws on the books, and not be political about it. You're not supposed to pick and choose and say "oh, I don't like motorcycles, so I'm only going to write motorcyclists tickets today." Once you're off duty however, you can be as political as you want. Go to rallies, protests, whatever! There certainly aren't set rules about being a moderator, but I think things are just easier when you separate out your political opinions from your official moderating capabilities. When you moderate right beside your personal opinions it makes it really easy for people to perceive your moderator actions as being related to your personal opinions, whether or not they really are. You can do it (I'm not telling you that you can't), but just know that when things can be construed a certain way, they usually will be, so be prepared to handle it. A better solution would just be to avoid the even perceived conflicts of interest, but I realize this is a relatively small board, and maybe there aren't enough left over mods to moderate a thread in which many of the other moderators have already voiced their own political opinions.What's wrong with going "off topic"? Just about any conversation that happens in person veers off of the original topic. Must we really compartmentalize everything on these forums? The minute somebody thinks of a side issue, must they really start a whole new thread, even if their

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Well you pretty much hit why unfortunately we can have a free for all here. While we are stronger than ever and are spreading out, we are still pretty much the hub of the open carry movement. A few prolific trolls could polarize the forum with unrelated issues, and hurt the cause. We already have to fight too hard not to be seen as anti police. I think we all would rather not be seen as against anything else we are not.

+1

As for another forum, it would be nice, kinda like the split between The High Road and Armed Polite Society. You want to pay for it?

No, you misunderstood what I meant. I should have termed it a "sub-forum". What I am suggesting, as many forum have, is that there would be a hidden sub-forum. Like we have the General Discussion forum, we would have a hidden forum named say "Invited Members Only Discussion". It's existence wouldn't even show up on the forum home page except to invited/approved members and admins.

To anyone not invited in the forum home page would look exactly the same as it does now. To members who have been invited to that sub-forum they would see the hidden forum listed under "General Discussion" or where ever the admins decided to put it in the listing. Only those invited would know it is there. Only those invited could post in it. One forum I was on had a rule that disclosing the existence of the hidden sub-forum or repeating on the open forum anything said in the hidden forum was grounds for immediate and permanent banning. Access to such hidden forums is usually taken quite seriously.

No totally new forum. No competition with OCDO. Just a sub-forum on OCDO where members who meet certain criteria, usually of both time and post count to keep out lurkers/trolls/media/etc, can be invited to chat. Such hidden forums usually become the OT section for the regulars. Because postings there are not public and only other regulars can see them, they usually have some pretty personal discussions going on about many things that happen to people in life. Relationships, families, other hobbies, etc.

As I said previously, most forums have such a hidden sub-forum for forum staff where mods and admins can discuss forum issues, problem members, how to effectively mod certain situations, etc. I learned a lot about how to mod effectively exchanging ideas in staff discussions in such hidden sub-forums.
As for feeling alone in your area, the solution is to recruit more OCers. :celebrate

That is problematic as OC is prohibited in my city. I have recruited a few people who OC elsewhere in the area where legal, however, they are not inclined towards participation on the forum although they have lurked from time to time.

imperialism2024

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
It's interesting that a site devoted to liberty and freedom is becoming so censored. This board is basically under the owners and moderators control and they control what is being said on it. It's not the same board I joined last year and with the recent choices on moderators it will get worse.
Interestingly enough, I joined a little over a year ago (3 days over :)), and from my memory, this site has gotten less censored from when I joined.

I expressed my sentiments over in http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/11701.html, but essentially, off-topic discussion is counterproductive to the forum. We used to be able to moderate ourselves... but with the influx of new people, there also comes an influx of more trolls, and self-moderation has become nigh impossible.

For the last time... the General Discussion forum is meant for discussions that are still related to open carry, but don't fit anywhere else. The mods/admin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they had any intention to allow a free-for-all.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
My solution is to not use any but your birthcertificate name, suggested quite a number of times. If you won't say it to your boss or your momma than it shouldn't be said. Note; I am retired and have no boss and to that extent am not equal.
I recall someone here who said that their employee handbook indicated anyone with knowledge of or access to weapons was a dangerous individual. Some people could be in quite a bit of trouble with their bosses or family for exercising their rights.

Would any admins like to comment on the idea of a private forum? I think that is a great idea. As I've said before, the regulars on this form are a very good group dedicated to freedom and capable of articulating their views very well, and I would love the opportunity to discuss other issues in a mature environment free from trolls.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
How about this, deepdiver, the next time I find myself in the area, we can arrange an OC dinner somewhere in western Kentucky ;)

Edited to fix punctuation
That would rock. I would like to meet you.

unreconstructed1

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
No, you misunderstood what I meant. I should have termed it a "sub-forum". What I am suggesting, as many forum have, is that there would be a hidden sub-forum. Like we have the General Discussion forum, we would have a hidden forum named say "Invited Members Only Discussion". It's existence wouldn't even show up on the forum home page except to invited/approved members and admins.

basically this proposed forum would be like the Area 51 of this site. no one with knowledge would be allowed to divulge any information regarding the existence of said forum, but everyone would secretly know it was out there somewhere? top echelon members of the site would constantly be shrugging their shoulders and saying "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" when asked questions regarding the existence of said forum.

rumors would pop up about "strange happenings" in the general vicinity of the General discussion forum some folks would report seeing strange lights flashing on and off in the sky, and a few people woulddiscuss their experiencesabout being abducted by little yellow men that looked like this:

1240.gif

but how do we know that said forum doesn't already exist? right now the 33rd degree members of OCDO could be making plans to take over the internet from their secret base located somewhere around the "selecting a handgun" forum, and using all kinds of cool secret handshakes. I heard a rumor that OCDO is really descended from the Knights templar, and if you look really close around the "law Library forum, you can see cryptic symbols carved on the walls that, if looked at just right, verify the link between the two orders....

the truth is out there ya'll....

</ my attempt at sarcastic humor>

seriously though, I think a members only "off-topic discussion" sub- forum would be a nice addition. while I don't know about all the cloak and dagger stuff, making it a private forum would be a good way top deal with keeping the image as the preimiere open carry website, while allowing the members a chance to talk about other things that interest them. remember the old addage about "all work and no play"....