• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Springfield XDM

Dustin

imported post

I think I have just settled on what new pistol to buy :cool:

Can you fellow XD lovers shed some light on these bad boys for me ?

The XDM is looking pretty good and the website for it is amazing.

Go to the link below and look in the Top Right corner for the complete 360 images and Full specs of what the "M" factor on the New XD's means to it.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/home.html

Wallpaper_1.jpg

xdfan

imported post

As an XD-40 service model owner, 16 rds. in a service sized 40S&W pistol is amazing. It's a cool selling point, i.e. more is better, but practically speaking I feel pretty good about having even just 12 rds. available.

The match grade barrel is impressive too, yet again - the standard XD series are known to shoot quite accurately.

When I first saw your picture, because of the grip style, I thought it might be a Walther! ;)

Overall the XD-M impresses me more as a competitive pistol than a defensive weapon. Kind of like the difference between a mid-priced 1911 and a high end 1911 outfitted with the goodies to give an expert shooter an edge in say, IDPA.

Legba

imported post

Looks interesting. I don't see info about this in anything other than .40-cal though. I assume it will cover the same range of options as the original XD series, although probably at a premium (I didn't see any pricing info either).

-ljp

xdfan

imported post

I like the XD grip safety quite a lot, and always note its omission when handling, for example, a Glock. It serves the purpose, just works and doesn't get in the way - as far as what a safety is supposed to do, the best.

The trigger safety is similarly unobtrusive. Having both it and the grip safety is to me, an ideal configuration. As my firearms instructor made sure everyone understood, the *real* safety on a gun is between our ears.

GreenDrake

imported post

I have been an XD guy since they came out, had one of the first XD services when they were offered. My current daily carry is my XDSC .40 an I love it. The new M is a welcome addition, however not sure if I really need a bigger XD as even with the modular grips and improvements, my XDSC is perfect in my hands.

I do not use the Pearce extensions and have Shrek hands, I know doesn't make sense but my SC is extremely comfortable with the two fingered/pinky under grip, and I shoot it well, which is what is important.

Sure there are Glockofiles everywhere, but what means the most is not what you shoot, but what you shoot well. The grip angle on the Glocks just doesn't feel right to me, the 1911 angle of the XD is perfect. Very very happy with my XD's and have never had any issues with them, other than the cheap holsters and such they give away, why not just include some Big Dots or Tirjicons.

Dustin

imported post

GreenDrake wrote:
I have been an XD guy since they came out, had one of the first XD services when they were offered. My current daily carry is my XDSC .40 an I love it. The new M is a welcome addition, however not sure if I really need a bigger XD as even with the modular grips and improvements, my XDSC is perfect in my hands.

I do not use the Pearce extensions and have Shrek hands, I know doesn't make sense but my SC is extremely comfortable with the two fingered/pinky under grip, and I shoot it well, which is what is important.

Big Hands ? http://www.the-m-factor.com/video_7.html

The XDM comes with 3 replaceable sizes.

xdfan

imported post

Second that on the SC. It's a fine gun and no problem hanging on to it with three fingers + pinky under. And 9+1 .40 rds. in a pretty small pistol has always itself impressed me.

Springfield has had a resounding success with the XD series, and for good reason - they're solid, well built and ergonomically friendly guns. To me the XD-M is kind of like the shiny, new and improved car enjoying the media blitz. You too can have the latest and greatest but it'll cost ya. :)

Dustin

imported post

xdfan wrote:
Second that on the SC. It's a fine gun and no problem hanging on to it with two fingers + pinky under. And 9+1 .40 rds. in a pretty small pistol has always itself impressed me.

Springfield has had a resounding success with the XD series, and for good reason - they're solid, well built and ergonomically friendly guns. To me the XD-M is kind of like the shiny, new and improved car enjoying the media blitz. You too can have the latest and greatest but it'll cost ya. :)

I'm thinking about making it my first personaly owned pistol.

danbus

imported post

I like the gun, but will have to wait for it to come in .45.

Also I'm not excited about the sites. I have not so good vison, so the oringinal XD sites work better for me. Furthermore, will Blackhawk make my hero holster???

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was skeptical at first looking at the specs, but after watching all the vids I'm coming around. I don't care for the look of the grip but I saw enough postitive to want to get one in my hand to find out. The new slide design is not a big deal to me. I don't find it any more visually appealing and the original has worked fine for me in all conditions. I don't know about the interchangeable backstraps so much, but I'm again willing to keep an open mind on it. I also don't know if I would like the new sights, but people who shoot way better than I do designed them so I'm not about to dismiss that either.

They seem to have fixed the trigger which was the worst feature of the original. Having a match grade barrel is a nice bonus feature.

Field stripping without pulling the trigger isn't a huge deal to me but would count it as a positive improvement.

I wouldn't mind shooting one. I may not mind owning one after I do, but I really wasn't intending to add a .40 to my rotation. I would be more interested in one in 9mm or .45.

ETA: The other thing I would like to know is if it will fit the other items I have for XD such as my holsters.

And the frame relief around the mag release may be beneficial. I don't have much of an issue but when my hand is tired and I'm doing an administrative mag change, if the mag is mostly full, I have to slightly rotate my grip to release the mag.

Dustin

imported post

Well when you get a 5-Time Shooting Champ up there showing off the exact details of a fine looking pistol with an Outstanding Reputation like Springfield.

It's just hard to say no :p

I HATE having to pull the trigger to field strip, it goes against my nature. So this feature on the XDM of NOT having to do that is a major plus for me :D

I've watched all the video's, and was quite immpressed :)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

danbus wrote:
I like the gun, but will have to wait for it to come in .45.

Also I'm not excited about the sites. I have not so good vison, so the oringinal XD sites work better for me. Furthermore, will Blackhawk make my hero holster???

Same here, waiting for the 45.

I emailed Blackhawk 3 years ago about making a holster (SERPA CQC, Active Retention) for the XD Tactical. They told me it would be outnear the end of the year (2005)...It did not happen. Hopefully, they will for the XD(M).

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am looking into this pistol also. I love the look of it, and with the change in the trigger pull It may be a selling point for me. I just have to hold one and see 1st hand. I have a XD.40 full size and it is a really good pistol, and very accurate. The only thing that has me leaning to another 1911 is the trigger pull and the .45 ACP. But the new XDM is in 2nd running.

John

imported post

I love my XD-45. It was love at first sight. I loved the first time I held it. I loved the first time I fired it. I loved every round since. I was a bit uncomfortable purchasing a toy (polymer) gun, but I made an excellent choice. I've never fired a semi-auto handgun that felt better to shoot.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well put me on the list Springfield.

In thinking it over and talking to people here at work. I will be getting one over another kimber 1911. .40 is a good effective round, and with 17 round if I have to triple tap on a BG for some strange reason:what: the extra round will be available. I think for the value it is just better to get the the XD.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hlh wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
They seem to have fixed the trigger which was the worst feature of the original. Having a match grade barrel is a nice bonus feature.
Interesting. I've thought my (3) XD triggers were almost perfect for an "off the shelf" gun. Certainly a better trigger than my Glock, but not as nice as a crisp 1911.
Lots of people don't like the long pre-travel and some don't like the over travel. I personally find the long pre-travel to be annoying. People dislike it enough that there is an aftermarket $80 drop in trigger bar/sear set (you have to know how and be willing to disassemble your pistol) that decreases under/over travel by about 50% and is said to greatly improve the trigger feel and consistency. I have held off as I considered a full professional trigger job, but have pretty much decided on the drop in.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hlh wrote:
Do you have a link for the drop in trigger?
http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=8
Springer Precision Trigger Upgrade Kit for XD
About half way down the page.

I mis-stated in my previous post. The sear and spring kit is $80 and drop in. The trigger bar is another $60 and must be fitted and is designed to work specifically with the sear kit. I plan to just buy the sear/spring kit. From what I have heard and read it should be sufficient to clean up my issues.

Lots of other XD parts/accessories on that site I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I'm a rabid Glock guy, but even I must say this is one helluva pistol. I held it and it fits so perfectly in my hand, words cannot do it justice. I'm a big fan of the grip safety and wish that my Glocks had one, but like it was said before, the best safety device is between the ears. I would really like to see Springfield come out with an XD10. What say you, fellas?