• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Springfield XDM

Carry

imported post

Thanks for the input, Dustin.

I just watched all 7 XD[sup]M [/sup]movies..... looks v-e-r-y interesting. I was looking for 9 mm intially; should I stick by my 'guns' and stay with that? Guess I need to know the differences between that and the .40. I'll continue learning.... and carry on...

Dustin wrote:
XD's and XDM's are A whole lot of difference on the feel section.

Overall XD's are XD's. The Quality is there ;)

Dustin

imported post

Carry wrote:
Thanks for the input, Dustin.

I just watched all 7 XD[suP]M [/suP]movies..... looks v-e-r-y interesting. I was looking for 9 mm intially; should I stick by my 'guns' and stay with that? Guess I need to know the differences between that and the .40. I'll continue learning.... and carry on...

I too, have watched them all, more than once :cool:

I've ONLY HEARD that they might be producing the XDM in both 9mm and 45. For now it's 40 only. Which most people consider the "Best of Both Worlds".

9mm Ammo- Cheaper($10for 50 rnds)-Slim Kenetic Energy

40 S&W - Mid range($15 for 50 rnds) - Great Kenetic Energy

45 Acp. - High price($20/$25 for 50 rnds) - Awesome Kenetic Energy

I choose 40 S&W, b/c I can afford the rounds to just go out and shoot, but it also supplies me the Knock Down power I want/need in case of an emergency.

For just shooting, you can pick up some CCI. Blazer ammo @ ($200 for 1000 rnds) - save $100 ;)for buying bulk.

For Self-Defense !I'd buy One Box of Federal Hydra-Shok ! $30

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM547-46589-183.html

Below is a picture of a 40 S&W Hydra Shok Mushroomed out.

05.jpg

To see the difference between Hollow point and Full Metal Jacket impact watch the video below.

http://splodetv.com/video/hollow-point-vs.-full-metal-jacket

Please Read This article. it offers the most comprehensive and detailed analysis of 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP.

It's the Best one I've seen. The Truth is in the Numbers my friend.

http://www.shadonet.com/2008/01/22/the-9mm-luger-40-sw-and-45-acp-compared/

Excert from the Article:

9mm Luger
124 grain +P JHP

Energy: 409 ft/lb
Momentum: 21.61
Sectional Density: .141
Velocity: 1220 FPS

40 S&W
165 grain JHP

Energy: 485 ft/lb
Momentum: 27.10
Sectional Density: .147
Velocity: 1150 FPS

45 ACP
200 grain +P JHP

Energy: 517.93 ft/lb
Momentum: 30.85
Sectional Density: .140
Velocity: 1080 FPS

I know I might have went overboard with the info here, but if your like most of us around here, this kind of talk never get's old. Plus there is always something to learn. :)

Tsavong_Lah

imported post

I actually own an XDM It's design is nice, and it's capacity is nicer....

My friend owns two others, a 9mm SC and a Competition .40. I will have to say that the SC is by far the most comfortable shooting pistols.

However the new XDM is not too far behind. It is slightly more accurate than the competition, has a little more recoil but that is to be expected.

The more interesting and problematic of the XDM's components in my opinion are the mag reliese tensioner and the back replacement grips. The rellese tensioner will not allow you to drop a full or partially loaded mag with out your left hands assistance.
Although the concept of the grips are in some ways nice the standard grips are just uncomfortable.
I am looking forward to the day when replacement grips will be available. :D

Dustin

imported post

Well I'm STUCK :banghead:

You see I'm selling one of my old hunting trucks for around $1,300.

BESIDES BEING IN THE MARINES, I'VE NEVER OWNED MY OWN PISTOL.

I want the XDM really bad, but my issue's of concern are;

The XD-9 is around $200 Dollars LESS !! :shock:

The XD ammo is cheaper, :?

The XD-9 comes in Olive Drab/ with Black Top, (Which is how I ammaking my AR15 Black/Green) :cool:

_wsb_358x266_XD9.JPEG

I do want the XDM 40,but I'm very torn on what to do.

Buy the XD-9 and lots of ammo and other goodies/holsters ?

Buy the XDM with; MATCH grade barrel, Nice Grips, Better Trigger, better sites, 2x 16 Round 40 S&W Mag. ;)

external_29a.jpg

Help !?!?!?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, this is another way to think about it:

To upgrade the XD9 trigger and barrel to match the XDM is going to cost in excess of $200 so if you take the long term view and are fine with .40 cal then the XDM is a long term better value.

Dustin

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Food for thought: Do the current down-size conversion kits (i.e. .40->9mm) work on the XDM?

That is a Good question, which leads me to another one.

How easy is it to install a conversion kit ?

Basically could I Convert the XDM to a 9mm, Shoot the Crap out of cheaper ammo, and then convert it back to 40 S&W for OC ?

AbNo

smccomas

imported post

Ok sowho here has an XDM, I am looking at purchasing one would like some feed back. I have the XD9SC and I love it. I fired an XD 40 at Dominion and I really liked it more than my glock. Question is how does the XDM compare to the XD 40.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Well I'm STUCK :banghead:

You see I'm selling one of my old hunting trucks for around $1,300.

BESIDES BEING IN THE MARINES, I'VE NEVER OWNED MY OWN PISTOL.

I want the XDM really bad, but my issue's of concern are;

The XD-9 is around $200 Dollars LESS !! :shock:

The XD ammo is cheaper, :?

The XD-9 comes in Olive Drab/ with Black Top, (Which is how I ammaking my AR15 Black/Green) :cool:

_wsb_358x266_XD9.JPEG

I do want the XDM 40,but I'm very torn on what to do.

Buy the XD-9 and lots of ammo and other goodies/holsters ?

Buy the XDM with; MATCH grade barrel, Nice Grips, Better Trigger, better sites, 2x 16 Round 40 S&W Mag. ;)

external_29a.jpg

Help !?!?!?
I feel just like you do about this gun.. I am looking for a good hi-cap big bore pistol, both reliable and accurate. I am looking at a Para Ordinance .45ACP with 14+1 or this XD(M).Is the 45ACP really much better than the .40Cal. This XD sure is a beauty, and I think it will look BAD AS$ as a OC piece.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I feel just like you do about this gun.. I am looking for a good hi-cap big bore pistol, both reliable and accurate. I am looking at a Para Ordinance .45ACP with 14+1 or this XD(M).Is the 45ACP really much better than the .40Cal. This XD sure is a beauty, and I think it will look BAD AS$ as a OC piece.
IMO, no, with modern SD ammo, .45 acp is not that much better than .40 cal to make it a concern for a citizen SD shooting. In certan situations the .40 may be the better round. If we were limited to ball ammo I would have a different response, but with the wide variety of high quality SD ammo available to the pubilc I would not be concerned about betting my life or the lives of my family to .40 cal.

The only reason I do not care to own a .40 cal at this point is that I don't want to have yet another caliber of ammo to buy and stockpile.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
IMO, no, with modern SD ammo, .45 acp is not that much better than .40 cal to make it a concern for a citizen SD shooting. In certan situations the .40 may be the better round. If we were limited to ball ammo I would have a different response, but with the wide variety of high quality SD ammo available to the pubilc I would not be concerned about betting my life or the lives of my family to .40 cal.

The only reason I do not care to own a .40 cal at this point is that I don't want to have yet another caliber of ammo to buy and stockpile.
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about that all day. I really like the looks of the XD(M). It would save me about $300.00 or more over the PO 1911. I could get about 2 extra rounds of effective .40S&W. I am going to look into XD(M). If the way it feels in my hands turns me off I may change my mind but for now I am 99% going to get it. I will make a callto a dealer and a friend today:lol:. I hope they are not hard to come by like the original XD were.

Dustin

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
If the way it feels in my hands turns me off I may change my mind but for now I am 99% going to get it. I will make a callto a dealer and a friend today:lol:. I hope they are not hard to come by like the original XD were.
Well after I felt one up at the local Gun Store, I almost stole it :what::lol:

After coming back to my senses I commenced to a detailed Web Search.

The Average Haggle price for the Bi-Tone(Online) is around$625 to $680.

The Average price at your local Gun Shop around here $720 !!! :shock::cuss:

So I looked around GunBroker and came across a Sweet deal for $585 :what:

I called them up, Very Nice conversation, FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING, And that Bad Boy should be here before this time next week :cool:

Also got

Remington UMC® 40 S&W 165 gr Metal Case ammo (250 rds)"Mega Pack - $75

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
If the way it feels in my hands turns me off I may change my mind but for now I am 99% going to get it. I will make a callto a dealer and a friend today:lol:. I hope they are not hard to come by like the original XD were.
Well after I felt one up at the local Gun Store, I almost stole it :what::lol:

After coming back to my senses I commenced to a detailed Web Search.

The Average Haggle price for the Bi-Tone(Online) is around$625 to $680.

The Average price at your local Gun Shop around here $720 !!! :shock::cuss:

So I looked around GunBroker and came across a Sweet deal for $585 :what:

I called them up, Very Nice conversation, FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING, And that Bad Boy should be here before this time next week :cool:

Also got

Remington UMC® 40 S&W 165 gr Metal Case ammo (250 rds)"Mega Pack - $75

How is the trigger compared to the original XD. I really have no problem with the pull of that trigger, but the free play is wack to me, its like it is not a big problem to me, but why the hell is it there. It can be a very nice gun if it were not that that dead space on the trigger. When I rapid fire my XD.40 I cant even tell it is there, but when I aim for a concentrated squeeze on the trigger, that’s when I have to deal with it.

Dustin

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
OH. how do you think this XD will work for CC?

Hey, You can CC a 1911, It's all about what your wearing.

I'd say anyone that CC's a Full Size Polymer Pistol, will defintely be able to CC the XDM.

The Only Polymer pistol I'd see as difficult to CC is the Tactical 5'' XD's. They are about the same size as the 1911.

Then again, it's all about what your wearing at the time too.