• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-gun Lawyers

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Here are two I know of that will take firearm cases. Please list any others that you know of.

Steven Dulan
[/b]Toll free: 888-737-6010
office: 517-333-7132
1750 East Grand River Ave. Suite 101,
East Lansing, MI 48823
http://www.stevenwdulan.com/

Jim Simmons
Law Offices of James T. Simmons, P.C.
45700 Village Boulevard
Shelby Township, Michigan 48315-6093
(586) 566-1900
(586) 532-4110 fax
jtsimmons@jtsimmons.com

NervisRek

imported post

I listened to a Podcast interview the other day with someone from the NRA, and one particular comment really caught my attention. If you carry a firearm, you're a fool not to carry a Pro-Gun lawyer's business card in your wallet. So I just sent off an email to Mr. Simmons requesting one of his cards. Thanks for the links Venator.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

NervisRek wrote:
I listened to a Podcast interview the other day with someone from the NRA, and one particular comment really caught my attention. If you carry a firearm, you're a fool not to carry a Pro-Gun lawyer's business card in your wallet. So I just sent off an email to Mr. Simmons requesting one of his cards. Thanks for the links Venator.

Copy, Paste and save into a Word doc. foran extra soft copyat your fingertips and print copies when necessary (Business Cards). :celebrate

SQLtables

imported post

Very slightly OT...

Is it best to have a standing relationship with a lawyer? So they know you're background, that you OC/CC, etc.. Or doesn't it make much of a difference?

I feel better having these numbers with me, but I'm always curious how other peoplehandle this. When they say they will call their lawyer, do you all have lawyers lined up, or is this just a figure of speech and you'll call a lawyer when the need arises?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Very slightly OT...

Is it best to have a standing relationship with a lawyer? So they know you're background, that you OC/CC, etc.. Or doesn't it make much of a difference?

I feel better having these numbers with me, but I'm always curious how other peoplehandle this. When they say they will call their lawyer, do you all have lawyers lined up, or is this just a figure of speech and you'll call a lawyer when the need arises?
I have personally talked with Steven Dulan, and I have his card in my wallet. He is local and very informed on firearm law, (he teaches a 2nd Amd. law class as well). He is the one I would call day or night. I suggest you develop a relationship with the attorney you would like to represent you. A verbal agreement is fine. The other way to go, that will cost some money, is to give the attorney a retainer, say of $100 or so, depending on what the attorney may want. The retainer is a contract between you and him/her that they will represent you and use the retainer for any initial billing. With a retainer, then in a sense they really are YOUR attorney, and you can really CALL YOUR LAWYER if need be.

PT111

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Very slightly OT...

Everyone should have at least one lawyer that they have met and feel comfortable with talking to. As for having one on retainer there is not a great need for that. If you feel that you need a 2A attorney on retainer due to the probability of needing one then you really need to look at what you are doing that is causing you to think like that.

If a need for one arises you will need a contact to make all of your calls and arrangements as you will be limited to the number of calls and contacts you can make. If your lawyer is a real estate attorney that is fine, call him. He knows enough to tell you to shut up and will help you find someone who specializes in criminal law. The Pro 2A attorneys referred to are usually specializing in high profile cases and are going to cost you big bucks to come bail you out of jail for carrying in Wal-Mart and don't think that they are going to jump all over your case to sue Wal-Mart for any small misinterpretation that they may or may not have made.

I have never met an attorney that wouldn't take a case because he was pro 2A or anti 2A as long as you have the money. However most specialize in one particular area and just saying pro 2A doesn't mean a lot. For instance if you shoot someone then you are going to need a criminal defense attorney much more than someone specializing in 2A. If you are caught drunk driving and have your weapon on then you are going to need one specializing in DUI.

As far as someone saying they are going to call their lawyer that is more bravado than anything. I have several friends that are lawyers, one specializes in will and real estate, one in divorces, one in business contracts, one in social security, one in drunk driving, etc. If I were sitting in a police station needing a lawyer I wouldn't hesitate to call any one of them but I doubt that they would do much more than get me bailed out and then refer me to someone specializing in that field.