• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Shenandoah Valley

SDA

imported post

I'm new to this site and think it's great! I live in MD (yeah, sucks to be me) and will be going camping in Shenandoah Valley, VAsometime in August.

I have a non-resident CCW permit from Florida and wasthinking on concealed carrying my Glock 22 while camping for a few days. Since it will be in August and may be hotter than hell, the thought of wearing a shoulder holster is not appealing.

So, 2 questions...

1. From what I could and could not find, carrying in this National Park is legal. Does anyone have any info that I may have missed stating that it is not allowed?

2. If it is legally fine for me to open carry, do they frown upon this in this national park?

Thanks!

John

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

carry in the national park is NOT legal with a very few exceptions. The only legal means of posessing a firearm is with it unloaded and cased. camping regulations for Shenandoah NP.

Many people are still waiting for the petition for rule making to go through...

I for one will be in a National Park the first weekend after it passes!

SDA

imported post

Thank you for the reply!

All of these laws regarding where you can and can't carry are mind-numbing! Actually, Maryland is quite easy. You can't carry anywhere! :banghead:

Tac-Man

imported post

What's up SDA,I Live in the valley and open carry is very common out here. If I were you I would find a camp ground not in a park.The Cove in Gore Va. is very nice.It has camping a lake to swim and fish in.Trails to hike or go 4-wheel'in and most important a shooting range for rifle,pistol,shotgun and fullauto!Just a thought:D

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

caltain wrote:
The ban on carry is regardless of the managing agency. If it's a national park, that's the current rule.
It is my understanding that Sherando is not a national park. It is a developed recreation area that is part of the GWNF... Hence the managing agency not being NPS!

SDA

imported post

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm actually meeting a group of photographers at a specific area of Shenandoah for a photography outing, so no budging on the place we go.We're more concerned about where we shoot our cameras.

It would be nice to CC or OC, but I won't chance even CC in a National Park.

It sucks, but it's the law. :cuss:I doubt anything will change by early August.

caltain

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
caltain wrote:
The ban on carry is regardless of the managing agency. If it's a national park, that's the current rule.
It is my understanding that Sherando is not a national park. It is a developed recreation area that is part of the GWNF... Hence the managing agency not being NPS!
National Forests, Rec Areas, etc. are all covered by the same rule.

soloban

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
caltain wrote:
National Forests follow the same laws as the state they are in. You can carry in GWNF as long as you have a CCW permit and conceal it.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/general_info/Laws_ Regarding_ Firearms_ NF_Lands.pdf

Tomahawk

imported post

National Parks: no carry at all. Firearms must be unloaded and locked away in your vehicle.

National Forests: defensive firearm carry regulations subject to state law; in Virginia the general assembly has assigned this function to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF), which, to its continuing shame, allows only concealed carry with a valid permit. Some people don't know that OC is not permitted in NF, and they have reported that the DGIF officers don't seem to care, but don't chance it. Obey the rule for now, we're working on getting it changed some day.

Public roads: OC is fine. If you are on a private campground, you are fine until the staff tells you otherwise, at which time you should decide to take your business somewhere else.

Virginia is generally very carry-friendly, but DGIF has a bug up it's ass about pistols for some reason.

67GT390FB

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
National Parks: no carry at all. Firearms must be unloaded and locked away in your vehicle.

National Forests: defensive firearm carry regulations subject to state law; in Virginia the general assembly has assigned this function to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF), which, to its continuing shame, allows only concealed carry with a valid permit. Some people don't know that OC is not permitted in NF, and they have reported that the DGIF officers don't seem to care, but don't chance it. Obey the rule for now, we're working on getting it changed some day.

Public roads: OC is fine. If you are on a private campground, you are fine until the staff tells you otherwise, at which time you should decide to take your business somewhere else.

Virginia is generally very carry-friendly, but DGIF has a bug up it's ass about pistols for some reason.
I need to correct you on this one. State parks and their rules are not controlled by VDGIF, they are under the authority of the Department of Natural Resources. VDGIF controls wildlife management areas. VDGIF is very gun friendly and responsive to our issues. DNR however is not. Yes DGIF closed the pistol range at the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area(see WMA not State park). I am trying to find out exactly why, but I was told it was due to the use of federal funds and their potential lossat CWMA. So from the info I was given and am trying to learn more about the CWMA range closing is that it's a Federal BUIA about pistols not a VDGIF one. I'm not saying they are perfect(nothing is not even this site)but they are one of the best state agencies out there.

67GT390FB

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Where did I say anything about state parks?

ok you didn't mention state parks specificallybut you did incorrectly state that in VAthat the GA has assigned this rule makingfunction to DGIF. This is incorrect andthis rule making abilityhas been assigned to DNR which controls state parks and other state lands other than WMA's. It is DNR's rules that National Forests follow not DGIF's so get that correct.

VCDL went to the DGIF board meeting last year because they too believed incorrectly that DGIF was in charge of rule making. They were informed that outside of WMA's DNR controlled rule making on state land. So at least get the correct department when you are talking about continuing shame.