Thread: Gun Taken at Traffic Stop

Post imported post

I had rolled through a stop sign in my Neighborhood around midnight back last summer. Got pulled over by Flowery Branch Police. I inform the office I had a .45 under my seat and he asked me if I would hand him the gun.

He comes back 10 minutes later and gives me a verbal for the stop sign and informs me he is keeping my gun. I do have a CC permit and showed it to him.

He then informs me that my gun is not registered with GA and I need to bring proof of purchase to the station to get my gun back. I did not want to argue on the side of the road at midnight so I just let it go.

Called the station the next morning and explained the case. In less than an hour two officers brought my gun to my home. They could not have been more professional.

Kudos to the Flowery Branch Police and how they handled the situation. Turns out the officer that pulled me over was a transplant from another state that had a mandatory registration.

Post imported post

If no registry in GA, what did the dumbell check it against?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

I had drank 3 beers and had a full cooler in the passenger seat. He did not ask about drinking or the cooler. I didnt get to fiesty.

Post imported post

Smart move.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

had drank 3 beers and had a full cooler in the passenger seat. He did not ask about drinking or the cooler. I didnt get to fiesty.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateWhen are we hanging out in GA???:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI'll bring a few 12 packs

Shouldn't that be..." I didnt get to fieschty"

TJ

Post imported post

Well my spell check does not seem to work here. Glad to see I have back up.

Post imported post

Unclebuck wrote:
    He comes back 10 minutes later and gives me a verbal for the stop sign and informs me he is keeping my gun. I do have a CC permit and showed it to him.

He then informs me that my gun is not registered with GA and I need to bring proof of purchase to the station to get my gun back.
    :shock:

Are you a member of GCO?

Post imported post

Unclebuck, if you're still around email me at Ludeykrus@gmail.com

I'm interested in using your anecdote for something...

Post imported post

I dunno 'bout Georgia... but 'under the seat' is NOT legit in most places I've been. Glovebox, center console or door pocket... ?

'Proof of purchase?" Are you serious? Violation 6A. (Illegal siezure) At least they returned the gun. Where do they get these guys?

Post imported post

A person who has a license issued under code OCGA 16-11-12 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle.

"Proof of purchase" .... hmmmm, if the police confiscate the 30 kilo's of coke in my trunk does that mean that there is no proof that the coke belonged to me?

Post imported post

Unclebuck, I swear I saw your reply and now it's not there. Sorry, I've been gone most of the summer and haven't had a chance to spend much time online or to get anything constructive accomplished.

Long story short, I would potentially like to use your anecdote in a website I am going to start. It will be a little time, but it will be an exercise in journalism in the local area (Flowery Branch - Hall Co - NE GA). Guns and police will be discussed, and would like to mention your experience. No names, just barebone facts and would like your permission before including it. I also live in Flowery Branch, and think that discussion in our area and its issues would be a nice thing to have.

Feel free to email me if you would prefer.

Post imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
    A person who has a license issued under code OCGA 16-11-12 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle.

"Proof of purchase" .... hmmmm, if the police confiscate the 30 kilo's of coke in my trunk does that mean that there is no proof that the coke belonged to me?
    Don't give them ideas, you will be charged with carrying an unregistered coke stash.

But you were in clear violation once you removed the gun from "in the vehicle".
    And since you gave up the license you couldn't carry period.

I must admit with a few beers, and many bottles I wouldn't argue on the side of road,
    especially as you already gave up the gun.:shock:

Brings back found college memory of the wiskey bottle. Wouldn't listen that there
    was no beer, we had wiskey. He kept demanding to know who bought the beer.
    We kept replying we had wiskey. I ended up driving us, as I don't drink and was sober.
    Hey i'm a lightweight, I can't drink straight from a bottle, a shot glass
    yes, but not bottle up.
    That also was a problem for him to believe. He followed me to the county line.

But delivered to your home, are you sure they weren't just fishing for more lawbreaking.
    Hope you stepped outside and closed door behind you.
    Maybe claimed they only arrested your gun because it was black.
    Obama will back you up.

Post imported post

Unclebuck wrote:
    Kudos to the Flowery Branch Police and how they handled the situation. Turns out the officer that pulled me over was a transplant from another state that had a mandatory registration.
    You say kudos, I'd be calling GCO to get a federal civil rights lawsuit underway.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for us and it is no excuse for law enforcement officers.

Post imported post

I love the fact that some of these guys doubt my story. I was not going to argue my point at midnight on the side of the road in front of my neighbors with a cooler full of beer in my passenger seat. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them. I argue about the gun then I get a ticket for the stop sign, maybe even a DUI test...

Post imported post

Most people do not drink and drive, so it took a little while for your explanation to sink in.

Post imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
    Most people do not drink and drive, so it took a little while for your explanation to sink in.
    No problem DAD. I had two beers in 3 hours and I was in my own neighborhood. Everyone hear thinks they would of been billy bad ass and stood up to the cop at midnight in front of their neighbors. Why pick a fight you cant win at the time?

Post imported post

:X

What is with the attitude and sarcastic comment toward me? You mentioned that people doubted your story, I mentioned why I thought that was so. I did not say anything about "picking a fight" or anything else.

I guess you do not hesitate to play "Billy Bad Ass" with posts on the internet. :quirky

By the way, your "3 beers" and a full cooler on the seat mentioned in the second post has now inexplicably morphed into a mere "two beers in three hours . . ."

Enough said.

Post imported post

granted i wouldnt have had anything to drink, but they would have gotten a strong protest over seizing my gun even to run the numbers fwiw. i dont care if im in front of neighbors or not, nor does the time matter

Post imported post

I know this is not a gun question but speaking ignorance of the law, how are you to know laws in another state when traveling. I know this is ignorance but I was recently stopped in TN ask for Vehicle registration, did not have it, they have never ask for it in GA as far as I knew we don't have to have it in the vehicle, was fined in TN for failiure to have. I DID NOT KNOW.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I don't think I've ever heard of a state where you didn't have to have the vehicle registration in the vehicle with you.

Post imported post

in GA all you need is your license and thats it, but if your in an accident in GA then you need your Proof of Insurance... or anytime you go out of state you need it.

do you not have your tag receipt? i keep mine in my glove box

Post imported post

Gore398 wrote:
    I know this is not a gun question but speaking ignorance of the law, how are you to know laws in another state when traveling. I know this is ignorance but I was recently stopped in TN ask for Vehicle registration, did not have it, they have never ask for it in GA as far as I knew we don't have to have it in the vehicle, was fined in TN for failiure to have. I DID NOT KNOW.
    I am thinking that (1) the law in TN probably requires you to have TN registration with you, not some other state, so you cannot be guilty of that, and (2) it is probably not legal to impose this requirement on people from out of state.

What if they had a safety inspection requirement, and you were travelling to or through TN from Georgia, which has no safety inspection and thus no sticker in the window showing the safety inspection?

I think I would fight that one.

Constitutional right to travel interstate and all that . . .

Post imported post

Well as long as they tagged you on the interstate then your local state law applies.
    They had a women beat her ticket for no seat belt because her state allowed you
    to have it off when breastfeeding. The news was great complaining 'but she was driving....'
    But you will need to find the GA law that says you don't need the paperwork with you. Small faded print on the registration forms, or application if nothing else.

A lot of places in TN doesn't go on your record also, read the small print. My ticket
    said it would be sent to TN dept of safety, and I could care less what they think
    of my driving.

I did discover that the best thing in the world is not to have paperwork. It is a
    40 min+ to get a ticket when you live there, trapped 8 years later, same place but
    am now an out of state free man. 5 min with expired tags, expired registration, no license and I am driving on my way.
    Go figure. Sort of know how the illegals feel, just smile and move on.....