• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Taken at Traffic Stop

Unclebuck

imported post

I had rolled through a stop sign in my Neighborhood around midnight back last summer. Got pulled over by Flowery Branch Police. I inform the office I had a .45 under my seat and he asked me if I would hand him the gun.

He comes back 10 minutes later and gives me a verbal for the stop sign and informs me he is keeping my gun. I do have a CC permit and showed it to him.

He then informs me that my gun is not registered with GA and I need to bring proof of purchase to the station to get my gun back. I did not want to argue on the side of the road at midnight so I just let it go.

Called the station the next morning and explained the case. In less than an hour two officers brought my gun to my home. They could not have been more professional.

Kudos to the Flowery Branch Police and how they handled the situation. Turns out the officer that pulled me over was a transplant from another state that had a mandatory registration.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

had drank 3 beers and had a full cooler in the passenger seat. He did not ask about drinking or the cooler. I didnt get to fiesty.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateWhen are we hanging out in GA???:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI'll bring a few 12 packs:lol:

Shouldn't that be..." I didnt get to fieschty":lol:

TJ

wsweeks2

imported post

Unclebuck wrote:
He comes back 10 minutes later and gives me a verbal for the stop sign and informs me he is keeping my gun. I do have a CC permit and showed it to him.

He then informs me that my gun is not registered with GA and I need to bring proof of purchase to the station to get my gun back.
:shock:

Are you a member of GCO?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I dunno 'bout Georgia... but 'under the seat' is NOT legit in most places I've been. Glovebox, center console or door pocket... ?

'Proof of purchase?" Are you serious? Violation 6A. (Illegal siezure) At least they returned the gun. Where do they get these guys?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

A person who has a license issued under code OCGA 16-11-12 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle.

"Proof of purchase" .... hmmmm, if the police confiscate the 30 kilo's of coke in my trunk does that mean that there is no proof that the coke belonged to me?

Ludeykrus

imported post

Unclebuck, I swear I saw your reply and now it's not there. Sorry, I've been gone most of the summer and haven't had a chance to spend much time online or to get anything constructive accomplished.

Long story short, I would potentially like to use your anecdote in a website I am going to start. It will be a little time, but it will be an exercise in journalism in the local area (Flowery Branch - Hall Co - NE GA). Guns and police will be discussed, and would like to mention your experience. No names, just barebone facts and would like your permission before including it. I also live in Flowery Branch, and think that discussion in our area and its issues would be a nice thing to have.

Feel free to email me if you would prefer.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
A person who has a license issued under code OCGA 16-11-12 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle.

"Proof of purchase" .... hmmmm, if the police confiscate the 30 kilo's of coke in my trunk does that mean that there is no proof that the coke belonged to me?
Don't give them ideas, you will be charged with carrying an unregistered coke stash.:banghead:

But you were in clear violation once you removed the gun from "in the vehicle".
And since you gave up the license you couldn't carry period.

I must admit with a few beers, and many bottles I wouldn't argue on the side of road,
especially as you already gave up the gun.:shock:

Brings back found college memory of the wiskey bottle. Wouldn't listen that there
was no beer, we had wiskey. He kept demanding to know who bought the beer.
We kept replying we had wiskey. I ended up driving us, as I don't drink and was sober.
Hey i'm a lightweight, I can't drink straight from a bottle, a shot glass
yes, but not bottle up.
That also was a problem for him to believe. He followed me to the county line.:cool:

But delivered to your home, are you sure they weren't just fishing for more lawbreaking.
Hope you stepped outside and closed door behind you.
Maybe claimed they only arrested your gun because it was black.
Obama will back you up.

mzmtg

imported post

Unclebuck wrote:
Kudos to the Flowery Branch Police and how they handled the situation. Turns out the officer that pulled me over was a transplant from another state that had a mandatory registration.
You say kudos, I'd be calling GCO to get a federal civil rights lawsuit underway.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for us and it is no excuse for law enforcement officers.

Unclebuck

imported post

I love the fact that some of these guys doubt my story. I was not going to argue my point at midnight on the side of the road in front of my neighbors with a cooler full of beer in my passenger seat. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them. I argue about the gun then I get a ticket for the stop sign, maybe even a DUI test...

Unclebuck

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Most people do not drink and drive, so it took a little while for your explanation to sink in.

No problem DAD. I had two beers in 3 hours and I was in my own neighborhood. Everyone hear thinks they would of been billy bad ass and stood up to the cop at midnight in front of their neighbors. Why pick a fight you cant win at the time?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

:X

What is with the attitude and sarcastic comment toward me? You mentioned that people doubted your story, I mentioned why I thought that was so. I did not say anything about "picking a fight" or anything else.

I guess you do not hesitate to play "Billy Bad Ass" with posts on the internet. :quirky

By the way, your "3 beers" and a full cooler on the seat mentioned in the second post has now inexplicably morphed into a mere "two beers in three hours . . ." :uhoh:

Enough said.

rmodel65

imported post

granted i wouldnt have had anything to drink, but they would have gotten a strong protest over seizing my gun even to run the numbers fwiw. i dont care if im in front of neighbors or not, nor does the time matter

Gore398

imported post

I know this is not a gun question but speaking ignorance of the law, how are you to know laws in another state when traveling. I know this is ignorance but I was recently stopped in TN ask for Vehicle registration, did not have it, they have never ask for it in GA as far as I knew we don't have to have it in the vehicle, was fined in TN for failiure to have. I DID NOT KNOW.