• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Taken at Traffic Stop

rmodel65

imported post

in GA all you need is your license and thats it, but if your in an accident in GA then you need your Proof of Insurance... or anytime you go out of state you need it.

do you not have your tag receipt? i keep mine in my glove box

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Gore398 wrote:
I know this is not a gun question but speaking ignorance of the law, how are you to know laws in another state when traveling. I know this is ignorance but I was recently stopped in TN ask for Vehicle registration, did not have it, they have never ask for it in GA as far as I knew we don't have to have it in the vehicle, was fined in TN for failiure to have. I DID NOT KNOW.

I am thinking that (1) the law in TN probably requires you to have TN registration with you, not some other state, so you cannot be guilty of that, and (2) it is probably not legal to impose this requirement on people from out of state.

What if they had a safety inspection requirement, and you were travelling to or through TN from Georgia, which has no safety inspection and thus no sticker in the window showing the safety inspection?

I think I would fight that one.

Constitutional right to travel interstate and all that . . .

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well as long as they tagged you on the interstate then your local state law applies.
They had a women beat her ticket for no seat belt because her state allowed you
to have it off when breastfeeding. The news was great complaining 'but she was driving....'
But you will need to find the GA law that says you don't need the paperwork with you. Small faded print on the registration forms, or application if nothing else.

A lot of places in TN doesn't go on your record also, read the small print. My ticket
said it would be sent to TN dept of safety, and I could care less what they think
of my driving.

I did discover that the best thing in the world is not to have paperwork. It is a
40 min+ to get a ticket when you live there, trapped 8 years later, same place but
am now an out of state free man. 5 min with expired tags, expired registration, no license and I am driving on my way.
Go figure.:banghead::banghead: Sort of know how the illegals feel, just smile and move on.....