• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what Spokane needs....

surfj9009

imported post

Detective injured during gun training
May 31, 2008

A Spokane County sheriff's detective shot himself in the leg while training with a new gun Friday at Medical Lake.
The Sheriff's Office is switching from Smith and Wesson guns to Glock .45-caliber semiautomatics, which require different holsters. Personnel were training at a gravel pit, said sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Dave Reagan.
During a "rock and lock" exercise in which they draw their pistols, point at a target and re-holster without taking their eyes off the target, the detective missed his holster and fired a single bullet into his upper right leg about 2:30 p.m., Reagan said.

"He expressed in no uncertain terms that this was a painful injury," he said.
Reagan declined to identity the detective but said he's a 20-year veteran.
He was taken by ambulance to a Spokane hospital, where he was expected to undergo surgery to remove the bullet.
"It was just one of those accidental things," Reagan said. "I'm sure he's very embarrassed."
Meghann M. Cun

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess the keep the finger off the trigger drill needed to be done first. This is one think that seriously scares me about OC: Cops coming at me with guns drawn. Police are trained to keep their fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot right? Any LEOs is this actually taught and emphasized?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
I guess the keep the finger off the trigger drill needed to be done first. This is one think that seriously scares me about OC: Cops coming at me with guns drawn. Police are trained to keep their fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot right? Any LEOs is this actually taught and emphasized?
You beat me to it. Finger on trigger while holstering equals negligent (and stupid)discharge.

MetalChris

imported post

Nah, the evil gun "just went off." Those little suckers have a mind of their own! :p

BobR

imported post

Well, I don't know about it being a gravel pit, but it was definately a pit. They were using the Medical Lake police range, which is a fairly small hole in the ground.

This last weekend the Army was out there blasting away. I wonder if I can use it, I could walk there from where I live.

bob

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

BobR wrote:
Well, I don't know about it being a gravel pit, but it was definately a pit. They were using the Medical Lake police range, which is a fairly small hole in the ground. This last weekend the Army was out there blasting away. I wonder if I can use it, I could walk there from where I live. bob
It can't hurt to check and see. I'll be over there mid July for a weekend visit if anyone wants to get together. (edit) after I read my entry I might add it was for food & drink not just shooting.

David.Car

imported post

Another place for the public to shoot in this area would be real nice.

As to the detective, another article said he was cracking jokes as he went to the hospital... Hopefully about himself. Will help him get used to the ribbing he is going to get when he is back on duty.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:
Detective injured during gun training
May 31, 2008

A Spokane County sheriff's detective shot himself in the leg while training with a new gun Friday at Medical Lake.
The Sheriff's Office is switching from Smith and Wesson guns to Glock .45-caliber semiautomatics, which require different holsters. Personnel were training at a gravel pit, said sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Dave Reagan.
During a "rock and lock" exercise in which they draw their pistols, point at a target and re-holster without taking their eyes off the target, the detective missed his holster and fired a single bullet into his upper right leg about 2:30 p.m., Reagan said.

"He expressed in no uncertain terms that this was a painful injury," he said.
Reagan declined to identity the detective but said he's a 20-year veteran.
He was taken by ambulance to a Spokane hospital, where he was expected to undergo surgery to remove the bullet.
"It was just one of those accidental things," Reagan said. "I'm sure he's very embarrassed."
Meghann M. Cun
what a fuckin moron.

just_a_car

imported post

BobCav wrote:
asforme wrote:
You beat me to it. Finger on trigger while holstering equals negligent (and stupid)discharge.
+1.

It goes for both LEO and any other gun-handler: KEEP THE BOOGER HOOKER OFF THE BANG BUTTON!... until ready to fire.

fetch

imported post

Last year sheriff Ozzie wanted to build a private range for the sheriff's using public funding. I wrote a letter to the editor thanking the sheriff for wanting to open up a public range, using public funding, for the public to use. I said that there could be compititions between the sheriff's and the public.
Now, I don't know if my letter sparked input to the sheriff but they are still shooting in the gravel pit, and shooting them selves in the "foot" so to speak.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would not say it was his fault, but I blame the Glock. I mean it has no external safety, if that trigger is caught on something BOOM!!! That is the exact reason why I will NEVER own a glock. Yeah they may be reliable, durable, and there are lots of accessories for them, but they are accident prone guns. Just look at what happened in Seattle at the festival. I don’t blame the operator I blame the equipment.

just_a_car

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I would not say it was his fault, but I blame the Glock. I mean it has no external safety, if that trigger is caught on something BOOM!!! That is the exact reason why I will NEVER own a glock. Yeah they may be reliable, durable, and there are lots of accessories for them, but they are accident prone guns. Just look at what happened in Seattle at the festival. I don’t blame the operator I blame the equipment.
Absolutely WRONG.

I have taken my Glock 27 (unloaded) and wranked on the side of the cocked trigger to try and get it to move. No joy. Once you press the trigger safety back, then you can pull the trigger. Plus, it's about a 5 lb trigger pull; you have to intentionally pull that trigger.

You have to get something into the trigger guard and push both the trigger safety and the trigger back. I'm sorry, but if you can't handle not doing that, there's no amount of safeties good enough for you.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
A glock takes something (almost always a finger) in the trigger guard to pull the trigger with 5lbs of force. I even lightened my trigger pull to 3.5lbs and I still have trouble manufacturing an AD. I can spin the gun wild wild west style and the trigger won't pull. But none of that matters if proper gun handling is used and the FINGER IS KEPT OFF THE TRIGGER.

By the way, every holster I have ever known that had any possibility of getting caught in the trigger guard (except for the TFA pilots holster) has been recalled immediatly upon discovery. Blackhawk just recalled the Glock 20/21 holster because of a single ND on an M&P, which the holster isn't even made for.

There is no one to blame but the officer who had his finger on the trigger. Thankfully he only shot himself. With the frequency of NDs from police officers the fact that OCing could get officers to pull their guns on me, and many officers seem to have their fingers on the trigger whenever their gun is in their hand scares the crap out of me.

No mechanical safety of any kind will prevent stupidity. I hate to think how many NDs we would be seeing if cops carried 1911s. If there fingers are on the triggers do you think they would still have a manual safety engaged? Now there only a hair trigger away from shooting you.

There are no accident prone guns, only accident prone people.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

Douchebag....

Your finger is the safety.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

Douchebag....

Your finger is the safety.
There's no need for name-calling, BS. You can make your point without resorting to insults.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just_a_car and asforme thanks for the education on the Glocks. And about the 1911, I totally understand you, You are so correct about being a hair from being shot by a 1911. it good the LOE are not issued them, if they did have them on the streets things could get really ugly for civilians.. Yeah I know the best safety on a gun is the hands holding it, and I am a safety nut. The only gun I ever had go off on me was a malfunction pistol. I am really safe with pistols. There is no reason to die over a senseless accident.

You have heard the saying, there are those that love Glocks, and those that hate Glocks, maybe I fall in the middle of that saying, I don’t hate Glocks I just don’t like them. And when I read of someone have a ND with the Glock I tend blame the Glock because I don’t like them. Please don’t find fault with me over my opinion, I don’t hate you, or call you names for not liking tomatoes, or my mom's apple pie. That's your opinion, and you are entitled to that. Differences in opinion are what makes this world so colorful.

OC Glock 19 thanks for trying to keep order in Bravo_Sierra. With that being said, everything in me wants to fire back at Bravo for his name-calling of me for simply station my thoughts on the article. But I am not going to retaliate this time, maybe next time. For now I'll just stay in my seat, and give you the evil eye from across the room. But know I do not like being disrespected at all. I will never disrespect anyone on this forum, so please do not disrespect me.

John Hardin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
BobCav wrote:
asforme wrote:
+1.

It goes for both LEO and any other gun-handler: KEEP THE BOOGER HOOKER OFF THE BANG BUTTON!... until ready to fire.
+1

Not to mention, if you're going to be performing a drill like that, make sure you DON'T HAVE A LIVE ROUND CHAMBERED!