Thread: OC Report - Tulalip, Marysville, Lake Stevens

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

Was out and about yesterday. Carrying my M&P in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC.

First stop was the Wal-Mart at Tulalip, no problems. Passed lots of employees, no doubt it was seen. One little boy about 10 or so made sure his mom saw it, I didn't hear her comment to him if she she had one.

While I was standing in line to buy some ammo at the sporting goods counter, a young guy struck up a conversation and asked how I liked the Serpa holsters (told him I think they are great). An older gentleman with him (Grandfather?), said there would be a lot less crime if more folks carried (to which I agreed).

Clerk didn't seem in the least concernced about it. Rang me up and went on my way.

Next stop was the Staples in Marysville. I have been looking for a new chair for my desk. Tried out several, didn't find anything I liked in my price range. Then went over to the Memory cards and checked out prices (PNY 8GB SDHC on sale for $29.99- pretty good deal). Again, a non-event.

Last stop of the outing was the Safeway at Frontier Village. Wandered up and down the aisles, many employees went by, don't know if anyone noticed, no one said anything or seemed concerned. Picked up what I needed (oh, and they have 12 packs of Coke products, buy 2 get 3 free!), went through the checkout and was on my way. Stopped as I was heading out and got a Jamba Juice, an absolutely insignificant end to an uneventful outing.

Maybe tomorrow I will wander into Everett proper...

Post imported post

Yeah t is pretty much always boring around here. You were 3 blocks from my place while at Staples. I generally don't OC while on the Res up here(walmart) since I read the thread about the indian pd stopping someone at the outlet mall. ( I think it was EXP Video?)

But glad to hear you had a good day!

Post imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
    Yeah t is pretty much always boring around here. You were 3 blocks from my place while at Staples. I generally don't OC while on the Res up here(walmart) since I read the thread about the indian pd stopping someone at the outlet mall. ( I think it was EXP Video?)

I wouldn't worry about the res anymore. They have to have a state comissioned officer deal with you and now since almost all of them are/going to be commissioned by Lovick they are not outside the scope of a civil rights lawsuit. I have a feeling they will behave, it also might not be a bad idea to ask the chief to give a training bulletin now. He should be pretty open to it due to his years in real LEO offices.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

You were in my neck of the woods I love Lake Stevens, there are a lot of freedom minded libertarian-ish folks around.

Post imported post

Popped into the Marysville Big 5 Sporting goodstoday, OC of course. Approached and greeted by the manager at the ammo counter. He asks “you get asked to leave stores often" I replied no, most stores honor the state's open carry law. We made small take of corporatepolices, he make no mention of a Big 5 policy. We continue with discussion on the WWB @ $25 since a tell him it's only $18 at Walmart, we spoke of .45 and 9mm and it's how itscheaper shooting 9mm now.

I wrapped things up and departed. OC friendly store and manager.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Awesome, jbone. Advocating adding them to the Pro-Gun list?...

I've had lots of good experiences with Big 5 OC, including a positive encounter with the Everett store (which is why they're on the Pro-Gun list).
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Awesome, jbone. Advocating adding them to the Pro-Gun list?...

I've had lots of good experiences with Big 5 OC, including a positive encounter with the Everett store (which is why they're on the Pro-Gun list).
    Now if I could just get him to price match,would be in heaven.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Yeah... would be nice.

Still didn't answer my question, do you feel that the manager was not only accepting of, but promoting your carry in the store and thus, deserve to be placed on the Pro-Gun List?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Yeah... would be nice.

Still didn't answer my question, do you feel that the manager was not only accepting of, but promoting your carry in the store and thus, deserve to be placed on the Pro-Gun List?
    He was certainly accepting.He didn’tstrike me as promoting but more of a friendly tolerationas a possible gun owner himself. I should have engaged or pryed a little more on Big 5 policy, but I figured why since his policy was positive. Certainly my screw-up on moving to ammo pricing to fast, now that I look back he may have been hungry for input on the subject.

Hope someone in the area can stop back in this weekend. But if I were to answer “Pro Gun List” from my encounter with that Marysville store and that manager, I would say YES!

Edit Prayed-to-pryed.

Post imported post

Do you guys do oc dinners at all over there i'm from marysville and am currently living in va but will be moving back in about eight months and would like to oc in the area.

Post imported post

jbone,

Edit Prayed-to-pryed.
    Or... maybe not. I've refreshed several times, and I can still see a "prayed" in the text above.

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    jbone,

Edit Prayed-to-pryed.
    Or... maybe not. I've refreshed several times, and I can still see a "prayed" in the text above.
    Good eye , i think I got it this time.

Post imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
    Do you guys do oc dinners at all over there i'm from marysville and am currently living in va but will be moving back in about eight months and would like to oc in the area.
    Sea_Chicken,

Get a post going when you get back, sure there’ll be interest. Heading back to Everett Naval Station? did my time on the LINCOLN a few years back.

Post imported post

I'm currently stationed in norfolk and my contract is up so i'll be moving back probaly in april sometime.

Post imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
    Actually, we do monthly Lunch/Dinner meetings. They're always posted here and we get turn outs that range from 4 people to 23. Average turnout is around 7-15. We hold them in the Seattle Metro area, from Olympia all the way up to Snohomish. Haven't made it as far north as Marysville or Arlington yet, though. We've done Everett twice, two different places, both times because EvPD was seriously harassing (possibly illegally) one of our members.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

right on, that sounds about right Evpd have always been dicks in general as far as i can remember.

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Misguided Child wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the res anymore. They have to have a state comissioned officer deal with you and now since almost all of them are/going to be commissioned by Lovick they are not outside the scope of a civil rights lawsuit. I have a feeling they will behave, it also might not be a bad idea to ask the chief to give a training bulletin now. He should be pretty open to it due to his years in real LEO offices.
    How the hell can Lovick commission the Res. officers if they don't meet the state requirements? It isn't like he can commision anyone he wants without them meeting the standards. I asked Senator Sheldon about this and he said that most Res. officers don't meet and probably can't meet the requirements without major expense by the tribe and he felt the tribes would never spend the money.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Misguided Child wrote:

How the hell can Lovick commission the Res. officers if they don't meet the state requirements? It isn't like he can commision anyone he wants without them meeting the standards. I asked Senator Sheldon about this and he said that most Res. officers don't meet and probably can't meet the requirements without major expense by the tribe and he felt the tribes would never spend the money.
    Sen. Sheldon is a little mistaken as far as Tulalip goes Bear. As they sit right now there are 19 of the 27 officers that do meet the minimum requirement for commission. You are right that Lovick cannot arbitrarily commission anyone he wants but he is in the process of commissioning the 19 that are eligible. There are plans by the tribe to get more of them to meet the state standard for commission so that they can handle the issues that arise without aid for the county or the patrol.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Misguided Child wrote:

Sen. Sheldon is a little mistaken as far as Tulalip goes Bear. As they sit right now there are 19 of the 27 officers that do meet the minimum requirement for commission. You are right that Lovick cannot arbitrarily commission anyone he wants but he is in the process of commissioning the 19 that are eligible. There are plans by the tribe to get more of them to meet the state standard for commission so that they can handle the issues that arise without aid for the county or the patrol.
    You have to remember that Sheldon and I are across the sound in Mason County where all we have are the Skokomish and Squaxon.

Post imported post

Oh I remember. Thats why I said Sen. Sheldon is wrong as far as Tulalip goes. I would imagine he has looked into the qualifications of the tribal police way over yonder where you guys are at.

Post imported post

Not to side track the OP post, but I would like to ad my experiance in the Tulalip Walmart.

July 3rd my wife and myself along with 3 family friends stoped in Walmart to pick up supplies for our camping trip over the weekend. I was OCin and my wife was CCin, Our friend John was also OCin, I had a dark camo hoodie on and it was rather hard to see my Glock, John had a Tan shirt on and his was easily seen by anyone. The other 2 with us was Johns wife and another Gal.

We had been in the store for over an hour and done some shopping and then we headed to the sporting goods counter witch was quite packed. My wife an I stood in line and John and his wife stood behind us waiting to purchase ammo, there was quite a few people ahead of us as well as behind and it took a good 20 minutes before we were served.

We purchased our ammo(quite a few rounds ) and proceded to walk away to look around while John and his wife purchased there ammo. As I turned away and put my back to the counter the older gentleman in a loud voice said "SIR" so I turned around and said Yah, he then asked in a loud tone if I was police to witch I replied No. He then Stated I am not aloud to carry my firearm in Walmart and I needed to take it to my car. I was kinda stunned as I was not expecting any issues here with every one elses experiances. I asked if it was Corprate policy and this kinda set him back for a second with a deer in headlights look, after a few seconds he said it was and I need to take it to my car to witch I said it wasn't, he then took a bigger stance twords me saying it was and repeated the "take to car" . At this point I was not going to argue with someone who is not stating facts so I said whatever and pushed my cart away and walked down the main isle at witch time I kicked on my recorder waiting for a further incident.

A few minutes later our 3 freinds joined us and they were laughing pretty hard. I guess after I rounded the corner he stated to my friend and his wife who were next in line as well to the other Walmart employee behind the counter and loud enough for the 20+ people around the counter to hear.

"He is carrying a glock on his hip"

"Can you belive that guy"

The Other Walmart employee added, "Yah kinda creapy"

He kept saying more but John cannot remember it all right now. Now remember John was also OCin with his Glock clearly visable while the Walmart employee was saying this to him

So after they met back up with us all 5 of us discussed what had just happened we decided I had not been asked to leave so we continued on with our shopping. About another half hours worth and then we got in line, our checkout lady was a "Co-Manager" and looked at my Glock a few times and never said a word and had no issues the rest of the time.

We then left to Winco and had 0 issues there OCin

The guy behind the Sporting goods counter has been there many times in the past when I have been there purchasing firearms or ammo, but those times I was CCin.

Forgot I had kicked on my audio recorder directly after the incident fully expecting to be confronted again witch never came so I will add the initial responce from all of us when John and his wife and our other freind cought up with us.

FYI incase anyone wants to know how it was recorded, its the iTalk attachment for my ipod.

Edited to add: also had a guy aproach us as we were heading to the checkout counter who I guess was at the sporting goods counter also, he fully offered his support to us and disdane for how the Walmart employee acted.

Attached Files Attached Files

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    Oh I remember. Thats why I said Sen. Sheldon is wrong as far as Tulalip goes. I would imagine he has looked into the qualifications of the tribal police way over yonder where you guys are at.
    As far as I know there is onlyone on the Skok, an ex-stater who got canned for nailing another officer's wifeon the hood of his cruiser while on duty. Then again he may not qualify anymore.

Post imported post

I am assuming you know the privacy laws in our state.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    As far as I know there is onlyone on the Skok, an ex-stater who got canned for nailing another officer's wifeon the hood of his cruiser while on duty. Then again he may not qualify anymore.
    Let's hope he doesn't qualify anymore.