• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report - Tulalip, Marysville, Lake Stevens

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Was out and about yesterday. Carrying my M&P in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC.

First stop was the Wal-Mart at Tulalip, no problems. Passed lots of employees, no doubt it was seen. One little boy about 10 or so made sure his mom saw it, I didn't hear her comment to him if she she had one.

While I was standing in line to buy some ammo at the sporting goods counter, a young guy struck up a conversation and asked how I liked the Serpa holsters (told him I think they are great). An older gentleman with him (Grandfather?), said there would be a lot less crime if more folks carried (to which I agreed).

Clerk didn't seem in the least concernced about it. Rang me up and went on my way.

Next stop was the Staples in Marysville. I have been looking for a new chair for my desk. Tried out several, didn't find anything I liked in my price range. Then went over to the Memory cards and checked out prices (PNY 8GB SDHC on sale for $29.99- pretty good deal). Again, a non-event.

Last stop of the outing was the Safeway at Frontier Village. Wandered up and down the aisles, many employees went by, don't know if anyone noticed, no one said anything or seemed concerned. Picked up what I needed (oh, and they have 12 packs of Coke products, buy 2 get 3 free!), went through the checkout and was on my way. Stopped as I was heading out and got a Jamba Juice, an absolutely insignificant end to an uneventful outing.

Maybe tomorrow I will wander into Everett proper...

Misguided Child

imported post

Yeah t is pretty much always boring around here. You were 3 blocks from my place while at Staples. I generally don't OC while on the Res up here(walmart) since I read the thread about the indian pd stopping someone at the outlet mall. ( I think it was EXP Video?)

But glad to hear you had a good day!

joeroket

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Yeah t is pretty much always boring around here. You were 3 blocks from my place while at Staples. I generally don't OC while on the Res up here(walmart) since I read the thread about the indian pd stopping someone at the outlet mall. ( I think it was EXP Video?)

I wouldn't worry about the res anymore. They have to have a state comissioned officer deal with you and now since almost all of them are/going to be commissioned by Lovick they are not outside the scope of a civil rights lawsuit. I have a feeling they will behave, it also might not be a bad idea to ask the chief to give a training bulletin now. He should be pretty open to it due to his years in real LEO offices.

thewise1

imported post

You were in my neck of the woods :) I love Lake Stevens, there are a lot of freedom minded libertarian-ish folks around.

jbone

imported post

Popped into the Marysville Big 5 Sporting goodstoday, OC of course. Approached and greeted by the manager at the ammo counter. He asks “you get asked to leave stores often" I replied no, most stores honor the state's open carry law. We made small take of corporatepolices, he make no mention of a Big 5 policy. We continue with discussion on the WWB @ $25 since a tell him it's only $18 at Walmart, we spoke of .45 and 9mm and it's how itscheaper shooting 9mm now.

I wrapped things up and departed. OC friendly store and manager.

just_a_car

imported post

Awesome, jbone. Advocating adding them to the Pro-Gun list?...

I've had lots of good experiences with Big 5 OC, including a positive encounter with the Everett store (which is why they're on the Pro-Gun list).

jbone

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Awesome, jbone. Advocating adding them to the Pro-Gun list?...

I've had lots of good experiences with Big 5 OC, including a positive encounter with the Everett store (which is why they're on the Pro-Gun list).
Now if I could just get him to price match,would be in heaven.

just_a_car

imported post

Yeah... would be nice.

Still didn't answer my question, do you feel that the manager was not only accepting of, but promoting your carry in the store and thus, deserve to be placed on the Pro-Gun List?

jbone

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Yeah... would be nice.

Still didn't answer my question, do you feel that the manager was not only accepting of, but promoting your carry in the store and thus, deserve to be placed on the Pro-Gun List?

He was certainly accepting.He didn’tstrike me as promoting but more of a friendly tolerationas a possible gun owner himself. I should have engaged or pryed a little more on Big 5 policy, but I figured why since his policy was positive. Certainly my screw-up on moving to ammo pricing to fast, now that I look back he may have been hungry for input on the subject.

Hope someone in the area can stop back in this weekend. But if I were to answer “Pro Gun List” from my encounter with that Marysville store and that manager, I would say YES!

Edit Prayed-to-pryed.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

Do you guys do oc dinners at all over there i'm from marysville and am currently living in va but will be moving back in about eight months and would like to oc in the area.

jbone

imported post

kparker wrote:
jbone,

Edit Prayed-to-pryed.

Or... maybe not. I've refreshed several times, and I can still see a "prayed" in the text above.
Good eye , i think I got it this time.

jbone

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Do you guys do oc dinners at all over there i'm from marysville and am currently living in va but will be moving back in about eight months and would like to oc in the area.
Sea_Chicken,

Get a post going when you get back, sure there’ll be interest. Heading back to Everett Naval Station? did my time on the LINCOLN a few years back.

just_a_car

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Actually, we do monthly Lunch/Dinner meetings. They're always posted here and we get turn outs that range from 4 people to 23. Average turnout is around 7-15. We hold them in the Seattle Metro area, from Olympia all the way up to Snohomish. Haven't made it as far north as Marysville or Arlington yet, though. We've done Everett twice, two different places, both times because EvPD was seriously harassing (possibly illegally) one of our members.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Misguided Child wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the res anymore. They have to have a state comissioned officer deal with you and now since almost all of them are/going to be commissioned by Lovick they are not outside the scope of a civil rights lawsuit. I have a feeling they will behave, it also might not be a bad idea to ask the chief to give a training bulletin now. He should be pretty open to it due to his years in real LEO offices.
How the hell can Lovick commission the Res. officers if they don't meet the state requirements? It isn't like he can commision anyone he wants without them meeting the standards. I asked Senator Sheldon about this and he said that most Res. officers don't meet and probably can't meet the requirements without major expense by the tribe and he felt the tribes would never spend the money.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Misguided Child wrote:

How the hell can Lovick commission the Res. officers if they don't meet the state requirements? It isn't like he can commision anyone he wants without them meeting the standards. I asked Senator Sheldon about this and he said that most Res. officers don't meet and probably can't meet the requirements without major expense by the tribe and he felt the tribes would never spend the money.
Sen. Sheldon is a little mistaken as far as Tulalip goes Bear. As they sit right now there are 19 of the 27 officers that do meet the minimum requirement for commission. You are right that Lovick cannot arbitrarily commission anyone he wants but he is in the process of commissioning the 19 that are eligible. There are plans by the tribe to get more of them to meet the state standard for commission so that they can handle the issues that arise without aid for the county or the patrol.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Misguided Child wrote:

Sen. Sheldon is a little mistaken as far as Tulalip goes Bear. As they sit right now there are 19 of the 27 officers that do meet the minimum requirement for commission. You are right that Lovick cannot arbitrarily commission anyone he wants but he is in the process of commissioning the 19 that are eligible. There are plans by the tribe to get more of them to meet the state standard for commission so that they can handle the issues that arise without aid for the county or the patrol.
You have to remember that Sheldon and I are across the sound in Mason County where all we have are the Skokomish and Squaxon.

joeroket

imported post

Oh I remember. Thats why I said Sen. Sheldon is wrong as far as Tulalip goes. I would imagine he has looked into the qualifications of the tribal police way over yonder where you guys are at.