• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying an empty holster

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I have nothing particularly against carrying an empty holster as some sort of symbolic gesture, but I'd much rather encourage everyone to carry a FULL holster. Well, not everyone, but people who know what they're doing.

If you want to make a statement and you're somewhere where it is legal (which is most places) to have a gun-- why not have a gun? Everyone these days walks around with Batman's belt full of gadgets, An empty holster may not draw much attention in a society that is in condition white most of the time. If your goal is to make a statement, make it! An empty holster is making the statement "I could be carrying a gun, but I'm afraid to do it." It might also make the statement "the gun's in the car" to the crooks. Finally, in the unlikely event that something happens that makes you wish you had your gun, you don't want to stand there looking to the bad guys like the guy who ought to or might have a gun.

One does not carry a gun in public because one's hobby is target shooting. Know what you are doing.

Get a well-made secure holster and a good belt. Get a good flashlight. Practice using them often. Get training in gun retention, practice it. Be honest with yourself about your abilities. Do not delude yourself into thinking that you are a combat shooter because you can shoot one-inch groups on a 25-yard target range at your leisure. Outside of the military, most gunfights occur at distances under 20 feet, most much closer than that. Shoot on the move, shoot moving targets, shoot in the rain, cold, and dark. Shoot from the ground, from behind cover, one-handed, weak handed. Run or do calisthenics until you're breathing hard, then shoot. Practice reloads, and even more importantly malfunction drills.

Be courteous. Be alert.

smithman

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I have nothing particularly against carrying an empty holster as some sort of symbolic gesture, but I'd much rather encourage everyone to carry a FULL holster. Well, not everyone, but people who know what they're doing.

If you want to make a statement and you're somewhere where it is legal (which is most places) to have a gun-- why not have a gun? Everyone these days walks around with Batman's belt full of gadgets, An empty holster may not draw much attention in a society that is in condition white most of the time. If your goal is to make a statement, make it! An empty holster is making the statement "I could be carrying a gun, but I'm afraid to do it." It might also make the statement "the gun's in the car" to the crooks. Finally, in the unlikely event that something happens that makes you wish you had your gun, you don't want to stand there looking to the bad guys like the guy who ought to or might have a gun.

One does not carry a gun in public because one's hobby is target shooting. Know what you are doing.

Get a well-made secure holster and a good belt. Get a good flashlight. Practice using them often. Get training in gun retention, practice it. Be honest with yourself about your abilities. Do not delude yourself into thinking that you are a combat shooter because you can shoot one-inch groups on a 25-yard target range at your leisure. Outside of the military, most gunfights occur at distances under 20 feet, most much closer than that. Shoot on the move, shoot moving targets, shoot in the rain, cold, and dark. Shoot from the ground, from behind cover, one-handed, weak handed. Run or do calisthenics until you're breathing hard, then shoot. Practice reloads, and even more importantly malfunction drills.

Be courteous. Be alert.
Agreed. Theempty holster leaves out one importantlifesaver...your firearm. If someone isn't ready to carry in public regularly yet, at least opencarry around their own property. Then move on to carrying around your neighborhood, barring a school zone restriction.

The sheep will only see us as non-threatening later on, ONLY if we carry a full holster over long periods of time.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

I don't get it. :?

Has anybody ever been convicted of carrying a full holster, openly?

Somebody on another thread recently pointed me to people who convicted themselves of disorderly conduct, by pleading guilty, but has anybody ever been convicted by pleading NOT guilty and going to trial?

Is there a single Wisconsin court case stating that carrying a pistol in a holster openlyis disorderly conduct, all by itself, or any other crime for that matter?

People get arrested down here in Georgia by overzealous law enforcement, too, for carrying openly, but it is legal (with a license, blech!)and we still do it, and we take legal action against the officers who misbehave.

What is it about people in Wisconsin that makes you so timid?

Support The 2nd

imported post

Here's an idea for those of you who want to DO something:

Contact your county board supervisors and re-submit the resolution.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17914&forum_id=57

Press them to act on it. If they refuse, catch them after a meeting, with video camera running, and ask them why you/me/we have no rights. Then post their answers on You-Tube.

The cost is almost non-existent and because you were asking a question about rights, and did so without a firearm, if they try to quash you that would be a violation of your first (1st) amendment rights.

Will you start by taking this first unarmed stand?

1FASTC4

imported post

smithman wrote:
It was suggested to start a new thread for this.....

Yeah, I know its not the best solution...but its a start.

Pointman carried his SERPA holster to the infamous Menards. Congrats.

I have been carrying my empty SERPA holster all over Waukesha since February, and I do mean all over the city and surrounding area.

What's the point in this?

Is it: "I'd like to OC but I'm afraid of my own government so I'm not willing to make a stand for my constitutional rights"?

Is it: "I feel you have taken away my RKBA but am too scared to actually do something significant about it"?

Is it: "You guys win. I am completely cowed and all I will carry from now on is this piece of leather/nylon."

I don't get it.