• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One dead, 2 critically injured in Reno shooting

wayneco

imported post

This reminds me of the recent incident in Winnemucca

--

One dead, 2 critically injured in Reno shooting

BY TAMMY KRIKORIAN • TKRIKORIAN@RGJ.COM • JUNE 10, 2008

Reno police said a Tuesday afternoon shooting has resulted in one death and two critically injured individuals with gun shots wounds.

Reno Police department Sergent Jerry Jones said the crime scene investigation is being conducted from the 900 block of Virbel Lane to Miguel Ribera Park in Reno.

Jones characterized the shooting victims as Hispanic males approximately 20 to 30 years old. They have been transported to Renown Regional Medical Center for treatment.

There is no information on any suspects at this time.

Police are talking to witnesses on Virbel Lane and dozens nearby residents are standing around watching the investigation.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080610/NEWS18/80610055

wayneco

imported post

Suspect arrested in murder of two Tuesday in Reno; third victim critical
BY STEVE TIMKO • STIMKO@RGJ.COM • JUNE 11, 2008

A Reno man was arrested after a Tuesday evening shooting at a Neil Road park that killed two and critically injured a third, the Reno Police Department said.

An estimated 200 to 500 people were gathered at Miguel Ribera Park when the shooting occurred at about 6:07 p.m., police said.

Juan Irad Jarred Marquez-DeSantiago, 21, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of open murder with the use of a deadly weapon and one count of battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm, police said. Marquez-DeSantiago is being held without bail in the Washoe County jail.

Police said two rival groups of males met in the 900 block of Virbel Lane off Neil Road and got into a verbal confrontation. At some point Marquez-DeSantiago pulled out a hand gun and began shooting and his bullets struck three, police said.

When police arrived they found one 16-year-old boy dead on the found in a field west of the park grounds between the park and U.S. 395. A 15-year-old boy was found in the park and taken to the hospital for treatment where he remains in critical condition after undergoing emergency surgery, police said.

A 17-year-old boy was found in the 900 block of Virbel Lane a block east of the park and he was also taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The names of the deceased are being withheld pending notification of next of kin, police said.

Marquez-DeSantiago was identified as the shooter after investigation by homicide detectives and Regional Gang Unit detectives, police said. He was taken to the Reno Police Department and interviewed.

Police ask anyone who has information relevant to this case to contact the Reno Police Department Robbery/Homicide Unit at 334-2115 or Secret Witness at 322-4900.

chrsjhnsn

imported post

The paper showed the suspect, smiling and happy!
I seem to remember they said the dead kids had no gang ties
but they also showed a pic at a makeshift memorial-blue bandannas.

wayneco

imported post

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/NEWS01/806120357/1002

Gangs scrutinized in teen shooting deaths
BY JACLYN O'MALLEY • JOMALLEY@RGJ.COM • JUNE 12, 2008

While hundreds of people enjoyed a soccer match and family activities Tuesday evening in Miguel Ribera Park, a nearby fight between feuding gang members ended in the deaths of two teen boys and the wounding of another, authorities said.

Reported gang member Juan Marquez-DeSantiago, 21, of Reno, was held without bail in Washoe County Jail on suspicion of two counts of murder with a deadly weapon and battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm.

During a brief meeting at the jail Wednesday afternoon, Marquez-DeSantiago, a cell phone kiosk clerk, declined to discuss the incident, saying he wanted to speak with his public defender.

Slain on Tuesday were cousins Christian Barajas, 16, and Jose "Alonso" Anguiano, 17, both of Reno. Both had dropped out of high schools in Washoe County during the past several months. A 15-year-old boy was in critical condition at Renown Regional Medical Center.

Members of the Regional Gang Unit will be on extra patrols in the area, working rotating 12-hour shifts to reduce possible incidents of retaliation and to keep the peace. The 21-member unit has officers from Reno, Sparks and the Washoe County School District police and the Washoe County Sheriff's Office.

"This was completely senseless and had no reason to occur," said Lt. Robert McDonald, head of Reno's robbery/homicide unit. "Two young men lost their lives and another one is critically injured for what? Someone was disrespected?

"It makes no sense it escalated to this level of violence."

Deputy Chief Jim Johns called the shootings a tragedy and stressed that gang crime in Reno is fairly low, despite community perceptions. He said there had not been a gang-related killing in Reno for years.

"We want people to be safe in their community," Johns said, adding that more than 15 years ago the Community Action Team evolved into the Regional Gang Unit to prevent gang crime and address related issues.

"This incident might raise fear in the community, but we are committed to identifying gang issues and reducing crime," he said.

McDonald said the cousins and a few of their reported gang associates had gone to the 900 block of Virbel Lane with bats to fight with Marquez-DeSantiago and members of his reported gang. The site was near the park, which has a police substation and medical clinic.

After arguing, Marquez-DeSantiago produced a semi-automatic pistol and began firing, McDonald said. Anguiano was found in a driveway and pronounced dead at a hospital.

Detectives said after Aguiano was killed, Marquez-DeSantiago chased the other boys toward the crowded park. He allegedly fired six to seven shots, hitting Barajas and the 15-year-old boy who remains hospitalized.

Their fellow reported gang members tried life-saving efforts.

Police say Marquez-DeSantiago acted alone in the shootings and recovered his pistol.

"There is no question in our mind that he intended to do harm to these people," McDonald said. "He pursued them. There are no self-defense issues."

Marquez-DeSantiago was arrested after being interviewed by detectives. Police said multiple witnesses identified him as the shooter.

McDonald said a stray bullet Marquez-DeSantiago fired pierced the window of an occupied apartment but hit no one.

The reason for the fight is under investigation. Police said the two reported gangs were involved in an ongoing feud.

Gang unit Sgt. Walt Frazier described crime in the Neil Road area as "sporadic" and said it was hard to tell what kind of a reaction the shooting would trigger. He said there are 35 active street gangs in Reno, mostly Hispanic.

"For some, they think all they have is the gang and they will do anything they can to defend it," Frazier said. "But not every gang member has the potential for violence who will shoot, kill and harm people."

He said most gang violence is a reaction to a situation rather than a planned offensive.

"When you have kids out there who belong to gangs, death is always a potential for them," Frazier said. "Parents need to be more aware of where their kids are, and who they are with. I think there will be a percentage of kids who will go 'wow, I never thought being in a gang would get me killed.' And then there will be some who may think it's cool."

wayneco

imported post

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080613/NEWS18/80613063/0/NEWS18

Gang member charged in double homicide
BY JACLYN O’MALLEY • JOMALLEY@RGJ.COM • JUNE 13, 2008

A 21-year-old Reno gang member was charged Friday in connection to the murders of two teen rival gang members who were gunned down Tuesday near a crowded South Reno park.

Juan Marquez-DeSantiago was also charged Friday with battery with a deadly weapon causing substantial bodily harm related to the wounding of a 15-year-old boy who remains in critical condition at Renown Regional Medical Center. The boy had to be placed in a medically induced coma, authorities said.

Killed Tuesday near Miguel Ribera Park were cousins Christian Barajas, 16, and Jose “Alonso” Anguiano, 17, both of Reno. At the time of the roughly 6 p.m. shooting, hundreds of adults and children had been in the park.

Police said that Marquez-DeSantiago and the teens belonged to feuding rival gangs. Tuesday evening both groups went to the area of Virbel Street near the park for a fight. Marquez-DeSantiago is accused of pulling out a gun and fatally shooting Anguiano. He then allegedly chased the other boys around the corner and gunned them down in a field. The wounded boy was moved into the park by friends.

Marquez-DeSantiago was one of many witnesses at the scene taken to the police station for questioning. During their investigation, witnesses identified Marquez-DeSantiago as the shooter. He was arrested later that night.

Members of the Regional Gang Unit have been working rotating 12-hour shifts to ensure that mourners of the victims don’t turn their grief into retaliatory violence.

calmp9

imported post

The Latinos are wonderful people, but they like their gun fights. My friends tell me in Spanish that it's the way they solve their problems. In the town where I live in Santa Cruz County, California, 100% of the shootings involve Latinos shooting each other. It's sad and my friends are afraid for their lives all the time. I tell them to move if they can, but who has the bones to do that these days? Easier said than done. I would if I could myself and eventually I will.

Now, it appears that Nevada is starting to experience what we do in Kalifonria. Imagine all of this happening and not being able to CCW or OC. At least in Nevada, you guys can protect yourselves. Don't let the politicians take your rights away! This is serious stuff here! It starts with small things and it gets bigger. Don't let them get started.