• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY ON HORSEBACK

Mini14

imported post

I'm glad you got armed, before yourself or a family member got hurt. I keep an AK47 by my bed, I've got a 9mm automatic(Ruger P95) and an SKS, too. Most of these thugs you've encountered, they have faced no consquences beyond either the belt or a grounding.

My Dad is ex-USAF, ifhe had gotten a report on me talking to a woman like you described; I'd have been doing extra duty for at least 6 months. These thugs only respect bullets, now that WV has the .'Devil's Law'.

Said law states that, if isn't homicide; a first time offender must be released into its parent(s) custody. Gang rapists, torturers, kidnappers, arsonists and like filth are even now prowling our woods, roads, hollows, rivers, and streets. Open gun carry is most probably the sole thing that makes them behave.

I'd be honored to meet both you and husband someday, I wish he'd start posting as I consider the both of you to be friends. Too badI'm in Clay County, I could teach you two to soot my AK, you could teach me to rie a horse.

Steel be with you, Mini14

Tomahawk

imported post

Just a thought, I do believe that asking women to post pictures of themselves on a discussion board is a bit impolite. You like to look at pictures of women with guns there are special websites for that. Try showing some respect here.

Mini14

imported post

I prefer a firing squadfor the evil doers, but I share your sentiments; Pistol Packing Mama.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA wrote:
LAST YEAR I OBTAINED MY CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT TO PROTECT ME AND MY NEW BABY. I FIGURED, WHY STOP THERE WHEN I COULD CARRYWHILE I'M RIDING MY HORSE. I GOT A HIP HOLSTER AND NOW I RIDE WITH MYPISTOL OUT IN THE OPEN. THE PEOPLE IN MY HOMETOWN ARE O.K. WITH IT AND I EVEN GO INTO LOCAL STORES WITH IT OUT IN THE OPEN. BEFORE I HAD THE GUN, MEN WOULD MAKE DIRTY COMMENTS TO ME AND SOMETIMES EVEN TRY TO FOLLOW ME HOME. I USED TO FEEL SO VULNERABLE, BUT NOW THAT I OPEN CARRY WITH A .38 ON MY HIP, I'M AMAZED AT HOW MUCH THE MEN SHOW RESPECT TOWARDS ME. I THINK OPEN CARRY IS A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO STOPPROBLEMS BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO START.
How did you get your horse acclimated to the sound of gunfire, if you happen to have to defend yourself while astride?

packingdressagerider

imported post

Oubliette, why not. I think it ends problems before they start. I was washing my truck one day over by the barn and a rough looking guy came walking towards me. I saw him notice the gun on my hip, and then the sign posted on my barn that says "NO TRESPASSING, VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT, SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN." He quickly turned and walked the other way. I found out later that he was looking for a ride, but Im glad he saw "the signs" I thinkI avoided a confrontation.
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once, "I have PMS and I have a gun. Any Questions?" Then this one, "Keep Honking, I'm reloading."

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA

imported post

I've had this horse for 12 years now and have had to go outside and shoot at many dogs that have decided to come through the field for a little chase. She's found out that the gun is a good thing, it makes the neighbors dogs think twice about chasing her. In return, I have earned a few enemies. Evidently, they've never heard of a leash law.

packingdressagerider

imported post

I've had this horse for 12 years now and have had to go outside and shoot at many dogs that have decided to come through the field for a little chase. She's found out that the gun is a good thing, it makes the neighbors dogs think twice about chasing her. In return, I have earned a few enemies. Evidently, they've never heard of a leash law.
Have you ever fired your gun while on your horse's back?

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA

imported post

No, and I hope I never have to. I shot at a dog while she stood right behind me once, but she knew I was protecting her. The only way I would shoot while mounted is if I had no other choice. Seein as how she jumps if I suddenly sneeze while in the saddle, I don't wanna try it. hehe
How about you, can you shoot while mounted?

bcr229

imported post

Some folks can, and are training their horses for it.

Shooting club is forming in W.Va.

Sport described as ‘barrel racing and shooting combined’

CHARLESTON (AP) - A television Western wouldn't be a television Western if at least one character didn't shoot a six-gun while riding a horse at full gallop.

If a group of southern West Virginia horse enthusiasts have their way, they'll get the chance to experience what they've seen on TV so many times. On Jan. 25, they'll meet in Beckley to organize a group called the West Virginia Six-Shooters.

''We were chartered by the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association in December,'' said club leader Larry Moorman. ''As of now, we have 27 members.''

Those members came mainly from a demonstration conducted Nov. 15 near Talcott by Moorman and fellow mounted shooting enthusiast Bobby Knight.

''It's a little like barrel racing and shooting combined,'' Moorman said. ''You shoot at five balloons on the way out, switch guns, turn around a barrel and shoot at five balloons on the way back.''

As in cowboy action shooting, contestants must dress in cowboy regalia and shoot firearms that are replicas of those used in the Old West. The guns fire blanks, but at close range even the blast of a blank cartridge is enough to break a balloon.

''It's a timed event. The rider with the shortest time and the fewest misses wins,'' Moorman said.

The Six-Shooters are the first West Virginia chapter to be sanctioned by the national Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association. Moorman said he has received inquiries from riders as far away as Ripley, Point Pleasant and Elkins.

''Our first few events will be held at the Raleigh County Horsemen's Arena,'' he added. ''We don't plan to hold any officially sanctioned events for a while. It will take some time to get our riders used to shooting from horseback, and to get the horses used to hearing the gunshots.''

On the Net:

West Virginia Six-Shooters Club: http://www.wvsixshooters.club.officelive.com