• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NM

Autonomous

imported post

Hi all...
I am new to this sight...And I have recently moved to NM from PA...As in the last few months...spent the last couple of summers out here working and have agreed to stay in NM for a year and a half.
Im excited about the "gold star" rating this state seems to have. I look forward to learning more about OCing in New Mexico...
Any how just thought I would say hey to other NM folk...
-A

RogueWarrior

imported post

G'Day from Albuquerque :D I've been here about a year and a half. This is a very interesting site you will learn a lot from the people here :lol:

Autonomous

imported post

Thanks for the welcome folks...
Im really new to the OC thing but this seems like a good place to start. I have already learned a bunch from lurking around this site.
Any of yinz live in santa fe? I get the idea that this is a anti firearm town. So I am wondering if any of yinz had any issues OCing in this place I know call home....
Thanks for any impute...
-A

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Autonomous wrote:
I get the idea that this is a anti firearm town. So I am wondering if any of yinz had any issues OCing in this place I know call home....
Thanks for any impute...
-A

I've only been there a couple of times. I don't like the place JMO.

Since it's the seat of our state gov. it's got to many DPS people. It has to many retired folks from the more liberal states and all those danged hollywood types (bleeding heart libs).

Because of these little things I avoid the place as much as possible.

Really I can't say much goodabout LC down here either. (bp, fbi, dps, ims,hls,gaf and on)

SickTag

imported post

desert-prospector wrote:
Hey! Welcome from "the City of the crosses".
Las Cruces?

Welcome to the site and to NM. Great bit of country in this state, plus pretty decent laws concerning you and your firearms. Just be glad you did not move to California! I am sure by now it is even illegal to say the word GUN in that state.

Autonomous

imported post

SickTag wrote:
desert-prospector wrote:
Hey! Welcome from "the City of the crosses".
Las Cruces?

Welcome to the site and to NM.  Great bit of country in this state, plus pretty decent laws concerning you and your firearms.  Just be glad you did not move to California!  I am sure by now it is even illegal to say the word GUN in that state.

LOL...yea I will not be moving to Kalifornia any time soon.....
Yea the firearm laws out here are funny. Im loving the transport laws making the OC ALLOT more accessible out here. Since I have only recently moved here and am still debating wether or not to get a ltcf out here I have started trying to open carry. The only times I would do it in PA or in Ohio was at the range's or on family or friend's land...
Not sure what the hell is up with the no carry in places that serve booze. It seems a little dumb to take away peoples right to protect themselves in places they are eating.... I also don't get the ltcf restriction of one firearm per carry????
-A

Autonomous

imported post

desert-prospector wrote:
Autonomous wrote:
I get the idea that this is a anti firearm town. So I am wondering if any of yinz had any issues OCing in this place I know call home....
Thanks for any impute...
-A

I've only been there a couple of times. I don't like the place JMO.

Since it's the seat of our state gov. it's got to many DPS people. It has to many retired folks from the more liberal states and all those danged hollywood types (bleeding heart libs).

Because of these little things I avoid the place as much as possible.

Really I can't say much good about LC down here either. (bp, fbi, dps, ims,hls,gaf and on) 

Never heard that take on why this town is so "liberal". Have to say it drives me crazy how many "open minded" people are around here that don't even want to hear about our second amendment rights. Or about the right to self determination....All these people who are anti conformity to the point that they conform to some weird hippy dogma.....
Gotta say I am a fan of our rights....
-A

Edgeofhtewoods

imported post

Hey there. I live a bit south of you in Edgewood. I go up to Santa Fe alot and open carry there. To say the least it is an adventure at times. Either it's hippes or freaks or the SFPD that always feel the need to ask, "Why are you carring a GUN?" I just calmly explain to the local hmm Atmosphere? I guess is the PC word. That isi my right to do so just as it is theres to ask me. I explain that New Mexico is a state that still respects the rights of it's citizens right to keep and bear arms. Most of the time this does ok but you do get those that are just to weird to listen. Those I just walk away from. Once I had this confrontation with this couple who just would not leave me alone about my side arm. The "male" even tried to grab my G21 from it's holster! I put him in an arm lock, pushed him to the ground and called the police. I desgribed my self and what I was wearing, (Grey dress slacks, light blue shirt Dark blue tie Black cowboy boots and a G21 in a DeSantes Leather holster. The cops showed up and as expected drew on me. (My weapon never left it's holster.) An Old lady from back east. (Heavy New York accent) Told the officers, Leave that young man alone! Those two where the ones who assaulted him! He was just minding his business having a cup of coffee and they started in on him! After about an hour of BS I was let go and my two "friends" headed off to jail. I did press assault charges! No they did not hurt me but the did touch me with out my permission and tried to take my firearm. Legally I could have drew and held them at gunpoint but in Santa Fe or anywhere else that could have been seen as excessive force since they where not armed.

Long story short. Carry open in Santa Fe but be ready for anything!!

Chuck

Edgewood NM

Autonomous

imported post

Edgeofhtewoods wrote:
Hey there. I live a bit south of you in Edgewood. I go up to  Santa Fe alot and open carry there. To  say the least it is an adventure at times. Either it's hippes or freaks or the SFPD that always feel the need to ask, "Why are you carring a GUN?"  I just calmly explain to the local hmm Atmosphere? I guess  is the PC word. That isi my right to do so just as it is theres to ask me.  I explain that New Mexico is a state that still respects the rights of it's citizens right to keep and bear arms. Most of the time this does ok but you do get those that are just to weird to listen. Those I just walk away from. Once I  had this confrontation with this couple who just would not leave me alone about my side arm. The "male" even tried to grab my G21 from it's holster! I put him in an arm lock, pushed him to the ground and called the police. I desgribed my self and what I was wearing, (Grey dress slacks, light blue shirt Dark blue tie Black cowboy boots and a G21 in a DeSantes Leather holster. The cops showed up and as expected drew on me. (My weapon never left it's holster.) An Old lady from back east. (Heavy New York accent)  Told the officers, Leave that young man alone! Those two where the ones who assaulted him! He was just minding his business having a cup of coffee and they started in on him! After about an hour of BS I was let go and my two  "friends" headed off to jail.  I did press assault charges! No they did not hurt me but the did touch me with out my permission and tried to take my firearm. Legally I could have drew and held them at gunpoint but in Santa Fe or anywhere else that could have been seen as excessive force since they where not armed.

Long story short. Carry open in Santa Fe but be ready for anything!!

Chuck

Edgewood NM

WOW Chuck...
Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear from some one who open carry's in Santa Fe. There are a ton of nut jobs in this town. I have been a bit worried about OC around here cause I am not yet a "resident" of NM (still getting insurance sorted out...you would think this was the first time anyone had ever moved...). It will be 90 days after I get my ID (this week if I have time) that I can apply for a CCW permit. I know that this all has nothing to do with my right to open carry in NM (I am from an open carry state to begin with) but the carry permit makes one seem more legit in the eyes of the "open minded" atmosphere.
It sounds like you handled yourself well when dealing with those fanatical anti rights people. Glad to hear you retained your firearm and that the police came around to the fact that these people were trying to violate your rights (both the second and forth). Sorry you were drawn on but really glad you pressed charges.
I am still working up to the open carry in stores. It makes me a bit nervous standing in line with some random so close to me. I have open carried as I rode my bike around town (peddles not motor) to do small stuff....starting slowly and working on up I guess.
Again thanks for posting and maybe I will see you around. I have yet to see an non LEO OCing in santa fe...
-A