• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL

ghosthunter

imported post

Hey since I am a newby I would like your thoughts on this.

Ever since i started to cc years ago. I got in the habit of running down to Office Depot with my new or renewed cpl and making several copies of it. Since I switch back and forth with several jackets depending on what I am doing. I put a laminated copy of my cpl in all. I have a copy at work in my desk, in my truck. in my wifes car, with my hunting tags in my backpack you get the idea.

I keep the original in the coat I wear most.

If I had to produce the cpl for officers where would I stand if I showed them a copy?

Thanks in advance

just_a_car

imported post

RCW 9.41.050 Section 1.(b) states the following, in part:
Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.
-http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Nowhere do I see it say a "copy", but it does say you have to have it... so I assume that it means you have to have the actual license. I would talk to a lawyer about that and get it in writing to carry copies of with you to hand to officers with the copy of the license.

IANAL.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

I lost my CPL in a boating accident, back in the 90s. The sheriff's clerk just made a photocopy of their file copy, and that's what they gave me.

Why not make a color copy, and ask them to put it on heavy paper or card stock? Once it is laminated, who could tell the difference?

Since any LEO can run your name and find out if you have a CPL, I don't think they are going to jerk your chain too much over a copy unless you give them reason to. Hell, in 20+ years of carrying in this state I've never been asked to see my permit -- even when I've been pulled over and they have seen I was carrying.

Charles

Oh, and IANAL

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

I lost my CPL in a boating accident, back in the 90s. The sheriff's clerk just made a photocopy of their file copy, and that's what they gave me.

Why not make a color copy, and ask them to put it on heavy paper or card stock? Once it is laminated, who could tell the difference?

Since any LEO can run your name and find out if you have a CPL, I don't think they are going to jerk your chain too much over a copy unless you give them reason to. Hell, in 20+ years of carrying in this state I've never been asked to see my permit -- even when I've been pulled over and they have seen I was carrying.

Charles

Oh, and IANAL

ghosthunter

imported post

True I have never been asked. Game agents have stppped me before and asked about loaded weapons in the truck andI always declare the my cc but they never want to see it.