• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time

hard2concentr8

imported post

So, I am working on getting my CCW and saw the LA Times article they other day and decided what the hell, going to try OC it ( Glock 23, Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle-style OWB). I live in St. George and was meeting some friends for dinner (Samarai 21, sushi joint), dressed fairly nicely (nice jeans, striped button-down). My roommate thought I was crazy when she saw me walking out the door. Anyway, little scared as I walked through the parking lot, kept thinking I was going to hear a LEO yelling at me to stop. The hostess gave me a weird look but didnt say anything, same with the waiter. I saw the waiter talking to what could have been the manager and expected to see uniforms coming through the door at anytime. The friends that I was joining were surprised but just made some jokes about what I could possibly be afraid of in SG. We left after about an hour and a half, no comments from anyone, few strange looks from some guys outside the place.

We ended up meeting a large group of friends at a new sports bar in town, Iggy's, a few minutes later. No problems there either, though I did see the manager eye me a few times (could just be paranoid). The waitress was very friendly, asked me about why I was carrying (she likes shooting handuns apparently) and this gave me an in to explain about 2A rights and making a political statement, while protecting me and mine. Don't know if it was the shirt or the gun, but she is coming to a BBQ at my place tomorrow. Other than some friendly ribbing from my friends (one of my female friends is less than comfortable with it) a great first time. Didn't see any LEOs, but I am going to continue and see what happens. Coffe shop in the morning with more friends.

Outsider

imported post

Congrats on being a "First Timer!" Proud of you and glad you had an excellent first time OCing. Keep it up and let us know how it goes in the future.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Good for you! Remember to read up on all the applicable laws. You mentioned that you went to Iggy's Sports Bar. It is generally advised that you do not consume alcohol while carrying a firearm. While your intake may not put you over the limit of intoxication and thereby violating Utah State Code 76-10-528, if you were to use the sidearm in self-defense, ANY blood alcohol level would most likely be incriminating. Hope you continue to have fun OC'ing and steer clear of the drinks!

xmirage2kx

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Good for you! Remember to read up on all the applicable laws. You mentioned that you went to Iggy's Sports Bar. It is generally advised that you do not consume alcohol while carrying a firearm. While your intake may not put you over the limit of intoxication and thereby violating Utah State Code 76-10-528, if you were to use the sidearm in self-defense, ANY blood alcohol level would most likely be incriminating. Hope you continue to have fun OC'ing and steer clear of the drinks!
Alcohol falls into the same area as being a jerk. I would hate to go through a store and tick a bunch of people off only to end up needing my gun... Witnesses can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on how you are viewed. I would much rather be viewed as that nice guy who helps old ladies cross the street vs the punk who cuts in line and was seen flipping the bird asheraced out of the parking lot narrowly missing 3 cars and a kid.

hard2concentr8

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Thanks for that point Dave, I did have 1 beer, knowing that wouldn't put me any where near intoxication, but didn't consider BAC should I have to use my Glock. Appreciate that.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yeah, the problem is that it's not so much about breaking any laws (which you didn't), but more about how we are perceived. If you OC and drink, people may see that and make judgements; but even more important is how something like that would look in court. If you drink, don't drive and don't carry - that seems to be the best advice. Oh yeah... and don't be a jerk (thanks xmirage2kx).

thx997303

imported post

True stuff, true stuff. I would just generally not carry somewhere that serves alchohol. Drinking not a problem. Only 19