• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running rig?

BigDaddy5

imported post

So I've recently started running twice a day, as opposed to just once. I don't really like the attention of full-time open carry in broad daylight, so I usually don't feel the need to when I'm running in the day-time. However, at night, such as right now (I just walked in from running), I'd like to be able to carry. The roads aren't as well lit, and the route I run in the evening isn't as popular as the one I take in the day, lots of dogs, etc.

Tonight, I tried running in my pistol belt with a leg-drop, and it wasn't too comfortable.
Does OCDO have any recommendations for a good rig to run in? I have a Beretta 92, and a Bersa Thunder, if that helps.

Agent 47

imported post

If your Bersa is the aluminum version, that would probably be the better option over your heavier Beretta. If you are running in shorts without belt loops your options are not very good. An ankle holster is terribly annoying while running. If your shorts allow for a belt I would recommend a Galco fletch retention holster. This can be used in either CC or OC and has an over the top strap to provide retention, also as it holds the gun snugly to your body it will be more comfortable and will not bounce around. You can use one designed for the Bersa or one designed for the Walther PPK or the Sig 232 works just as well.

Mainsail

imported post

I use a pair of light weight REI hiking shorts for my runs. These have belt loops and allow me to use a leather belt to hold a pancake holster for my Taurus .38 revolver. I tried a paddle holster but it abraded my hip to the point of bleeding. With the pancake holster I can run six miles around Wright Park comfortably while carrying openly.

Fanny packs are not comfortable for me when I’m running because they flip-flop-slap with every step.

Marco

imported post

Try wearing tactical shorts that have belt loops.

OR

[align=left]Stay hydrated and carry your weapon at the same time with the CamelBak® Goblin™. Designed for long hour usage, this pack's high-quality, civilian design allows you to blend comfortably in the crowd while concealing a handgun and extra magazine.

[*]Microfleece waistbelt is comfortable next to bare skin and stable enough for long runs
[*]Easy access to secure concealed weapon and gear compartment
[*]Civilian design and appearance
[*]Includes weapon holster
[*]Generous hook-and-loop panel for I.D. and other gear pouches
[*]Capacity: 28 oz.
[*]Cargo Volume: 305 cubic inches (5 L)
30497aL.jpg

[/align]

BigDaddy5

imported post

ATCer wrote:
Do I hear... Fanny Pack?

I considered that, and I'm just not sure about it. I don't really want something that's going to bounce around. I'm hoping to get something that will remain in place, fairly well. The thigh rig was pretty good for the first quarter mile, then the pistol belt rode up on my left side, lowering my right side, and gave slack to the holster, which let it have some free room to move.

I don't have any running shorts with belt loops, but as mentioned earlier, it's late at night. I'm already running with a flashlight in hand, and a reflective vest over my shirt...fashion is the least of my concerns at night!

@Agent19 - have you tried that camelback setup? How is it, if you have?

Mainsail

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
[align=left]Stay hydrated and carry your weapon at the same time with the CamelBak® Goblin™. Designed for long hour usage, this pack's high-quality, civilian design allows you to blend comfortably in the crowd while concealing a handgun and extra magazine. [/align]
I have one of these and it's great for concealed carry on a bike or on foot, but like I said, I didn't like it for running.

BigDaddy5

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Agent19 wrote:I have one of these and it's great for concealed carry on a bike or on foot, but like I said, I didn't like it for running.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I don't like that either.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
The camelbak just looks like a really big fanny pack to me... But than again I am adamently (sp?) against any fanny pack wearing :)
A Camelback is a back pack with water bladder. Not anything like a fanny pack which is carried around the waist.

BigDaddy5

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
The camelbak just looks like a really big fanny pack to me... But than again I am adamently (sp?) against any fanny pack wearing :)
A Camelback is a back pack with water bladder. Not anything like a fanny pack which is carried around the waist.

Did you see the picture that was posted above? It looks an awful lot like a fanny pack.

A quick google search for "Camelback Goblin" seems to confirm that too.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
The Camelbak Goblin (the one shown above) is in fact a fanny pack.

Marco

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
[align=left]CamelBak® Goblin™.[/align]
I didn't like it for running.
My wife loves it, she recently completed a 10k while armed without issue.
The Goblin can be tightened to almost eliminate the bouncing.
The back pack version is the Demon, I believe Tess has one and likes it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDaddy5 wrote:
Does OCDO have any recommendations for a good rig to run in? I have a Beretta 92, and a Bersa Thunder, if that helps.

Look at the Wilderness Safepacker Http://thewilderness.com .

I have the "regular" size (not the new supersize) and it carries my Bersa Thunder .45, spare mag, and surefire with ease.

Normally I despise velcro because of the amount of noise it makes, but for concealing self-protection items which normally are not brought out & put away, as opposed to multitools, knives, etc. I can deal with it. If you get a Safepacker, practice riupping down the velcro - it takes more force than you might think to completely clear the sticky stuff for a full hand grip.

stay safe.

skidmark

bourneshooter

imported post

BigDaddy5, are you OC or CC while running?

That would change and help narrow what type of rig recommendations for people to make.

Michigander

imported post

Thigh straps will eventually hurt your leg if you go for longer distances. For me, what I have always done, is ties my belt up tight, and used a holster with the belt loop as high up as possible. My Sig fits very nicely in my Uncle Mike's Sidekick with my belt buckled up snugly. It minimizes bouncing and twisting.

If you use a holster with a mid mounted loop, it will bounce and twist horribly.

BigDaddy5

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
BigDaddy5, are you OC or CC while running?

That would change and help narrow what type of rig recommendations for people to make.

Right now I'm OC, but I don't care either way. The clothing I wear while running doesn't leave many options for CC, unless a fanny pack or backpack or something. I usually wear windbreaker pants and an underarmour shirt. I don't have any belt-loops, so I realize my options are limited. I'm not opposed to either OC or CC while running.

bourneshooter

imported post

I'm not sure where you live so climate wise if this is an option, but I've found that some BDU pants will work fine for running. Stay in place and provide belt loops. Thats for OC only but it is an option that works.