• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is that a Glock?

possumboy

imported post

I recently made the tripbetween Northern VA to Southwestern VA.

During the trip down, I asked twice: "Is that a Glock?"

My reply is: "No, it is a Springfield XD."

On the way home, I got the same question again...

After my reply, the person said: "My department carries Glocks, but that a is nice looking piece of equipment."

And that was it! Nothing else was said about it. At least some department around Roanoke is aware there is no law against OC.

On the other hand... Why does everyone think it is a Glock? Is Glock what everything thinks of when they see a black semi-automatic?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

possumboy wrote:
I recently made the tripbetween Northern VA to Southwestern VA.

During the trip down, I asked twice: "Is that a Glock?"

My reply is: "No, it is a Springfield XD."

On the way home, I got the same question again...

After my reply, the person said: "My department carries Glocks, but that a is nice looking piece of equipment."

And that was it! Nothing else was said about it. At least some department around Roanoke is aware there is no law against OC.

On the other hand... Why does everyone think it is a Glock? Is Glock what everything thinks of when they see a black semi-automatic?

Same reason they call my Glock 19 a "Glock 9," because people are ignorant.

But seriously, its because a large number of police agencies carry Glocks. They are very common.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that Nickel-plated sissy-pistol" :)

418or-ysFoL._SL250_.jpg

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Glock is Mainstream.

If I hadn't played Rainbow Six as young guy and into my 30's, I'd have no idea what HK stood for. I'd never heard of Springfield Armory before I got into guns, but I most certainly knew what a Glock was, for some reason.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the "mainstream" idea is correct. Rap songs (I don't know this because I listen to it) talk about "my Glock 9" and Glocks have been discussed in many news stories for various reasons.

I think that Springfield Armory XD owners are just more responsible so aren't in the news with their weapons identified as often. :p

IanB

imported post

possumboy wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
"Get yourself a Glock and lose that Nickel-plated sissy-pistol" :)

tommy_lee_jones_the_fugitive_002.jpg
I do not have a problem with my 1911 Kimber Custom Stainless...
A Kimber Custom Stainless is not a nickel-plated sissy-pistol. :lol:

PT111

imported post

Unfortunately the media, rappers and gansta's have programmed the public into the notion that any semi-automatic pistol is a Glock, sort of like a copier is a Xerox machine.

I have posted this before but a lady in a gun store told me that her nephew who was a LEO had given her a shotgun but was going to trade it for a Glock. She then asked me what a Glock was. I told her that it was a brand of pistol. She looked sort of puzzled and asked "What do you mean pistol?"

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XDs shouldn't be too hard to recognize though, they've got all those unnecessary lines running every which way trying to look tacticool. :p

Next time someone asks you that though, you should just respond: "No, but I wish it was, I really want to be able to take it through medal detectors in the airport."

FogRider

imported post

I have been asked if I was carrying a Glock several times. They really do look similar, especially if you can only see what's above the holster, and you don't get a good look at that.

sectorsight

imported post

What really chaps my @ss is when people refer to my 1911 as a glock. It's happened a few times...
Someone on the street asked me how many rounds can fit in the "clip":cuss:

VAopencarry wrote:
Is Glock what everything thinks of when they see a black semi-automatic?

Yes

Anubis

imported post

possumboy wrote:
"Is that a Glock?"

If the guy carried a Glock on duty, it seems a little odd that he couldn't tell the difference between his Glock and your XD on sight. I would expect "What is that?" rather than his actual question...

ballester

imported post

so if i get my p2000 duracoated to be two tone...is that considered a sissy pistol???? i am carrying a sw 1911 pd and it holds 8 rounds of four fifths hollows in dat clip janke yo...plus one in da pipe....sorry...sometimes i wish my store was not that close to the city limits........had to learn a second language................sigh..................:banghead:

and ps dont you know a xd is just a glock wit dat safe thing on da grip.....juuuussssttt kidding yall....i know i know

glock: gat, gack, burner, blaster, and jsut in case you did not know a gat four fifths will mow down some n***as..(i can not tell you how many times i heard this...ran out of fingers and im on the toes counting..) sigh over half the the people in the usa only know about guns from what they see on tv or hear in songs...it truely is sad....:cry:

ok edit for the last time....on a side note...everytime the local news reports a shooting they use a glock for the avatar in the little window next to reporters head...i can count two stations...fox news does for sure a glock with crimescene tape in background....so sad so sad ...:(

possumboy

imported post

Anubis wrote:
If the guy carried a Glock on duty, it seems a little odd that he couldn't tell the difference between his Glock and your XD on sight. I would expect "What is that?" rather than his actual question...
The question didn't surprise me coming from a LEO. Some LEOs only shoot once a year. They just strap the gun on like they do any other tool they have.