• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IN OUR VIEW: 'Open carry' goes too far

b1ack5mith

imported post

this is fun. ok marine. just look, none of us carry just to "CARRY" we carry to defend ourselves and to educate people who dont know, so THEY TOO can carry. not everyone has a permit, period. so not all can conceal carry, period. have a nice day! bye :D

GeneticsDave

imported post

rocknsnow,

I just wanted to let you know that my calling of MMS a troll was only to point out his bad behavior. A troll is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion. As such I shout the TROLL warning and then try to follow the saying, "Don't feed the trolls!"

rocknsnow

imported post

Now that is my mistake. Thanks for the clarification. I really wan't sure what that meant. So that is my mistake. Sorry about that. Guess I would assume quite as much. I just hope that everyone just gets along. We are all fighting the same battle. We are all defending out right to carry. It is just how we wish to go about carrying.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Stupid story, someone must know someone else that persuaded them to write it.

And stupid MSgt, I was in the marine corps, you act like your just something else and think you can do what ever the hell you want just because your higher ranking. Don't think your going to get respect here because of your position, I could care less if you served or not, if you act like an ass you are an ass.
Your just one of those I had to respect because of your rank but despised you other wise

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And stupid MSgt, I was in the marine corps, you act like your just something else and think you can do what ever the hell you want just because your higher ranking. Don't think your going to get respect here because of your position, I could care less if you served or not, if you act like an ass you are an ass.
Your just one of those I had to respect because of your rank but despised you other wise

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JP1968

imported post

usSiR wrote:

I don't think that's the Master Sergeant's pointusSiR--

I refer you to rocknsnow's comments--

usSiR, you are also actingjust like the comment you made-"if you act like an ass you are an ass"

thx997303

imported post

Whoa, select fire there buddy?

I am so tired of being considered inferior because of my age.

In any case, MMS You are fighting a losing battle, and fighting it in an immature fashion. Most of the people here know each other personally, and know that you're assumptions are false.

Come to one of our meets, and you will see that we are normal everyday people who just want to defend themselves.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Come to one of our meets, and you will see that we are normal everyday people who just want to defend themselves.
The next one starts tomorrow evening! See you all there, whoever is coming.

eddified

imported post

packingmama wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
The next one starts tomorrow evening! See you all there, whoever is coming.
Where is it? what thread is this on? I couldn't find it.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher

Outsider

imported post

Wow... this topic has gone from the Herald's opinion of "'Open carry' goes too far" to bashing one another. Very nice everyone. *shakes head and leaves to write the Herald on his own*

thx997303

imported post

I actually think it was MMS bashing all people who decide to OC. And I don't think that he like SGT Jensen, and figures that SGT Jensen should punish me.

Wow, when you sum it up like that, it sounds really funny.

xRapidDavex

imported post

But the Wild West is long gone, folks. The strutting of deadly machismo is unnecessary. Be happy with your concealed guns. Though carrying an unloaded gun openly in a holster should remain legal, this doesn't mean people should go out of their way to rub the community's face in it.

Obviously I want open carry to stay legal but I have a question for the Herald: If its legal but you think we shouldn't carry openly, then WHY do YOU think it should stay legal. This is so nonsensical.

eddified

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
But the Wild West is long gone, folks. The strutting of deadly machismo is unnecessary. Be happy with your concealed guns. Though carrying an unloaded gun openly in a holster should remain legal, this doesn't mean people should go out of their way to rub the community's face in it.

Obviously I want open carry to stay legal but I have a question for the Herald: If its legal but you think we shouldn't carry openly, then WHY do YOU think it should stay legal. This is so nonsensical.
Not necessarily. There are lots of things that I think people shouldn't necessarily do, but I don't think it's bad enough to be made illegal:
How about: someone peeing on my front lawn. I don't like them doing it, but should there really be a law about it? No. I can get them on trespassing.
how about: someone on my street not taking care of their own front lawn, so that it grows really large, ugly weeds. I don't appreciate the fact that he doesn't take care of his lawn, but I don't think it should be illegal. I mean, it is his lawn. This actually reminds me of a law I heard about somewhere in Ohio...

Canton Ohio passed a law which makes 2nd time offenders who let their grass grow more than 8 inches long be subject to a $250 fine and 30 days in jail. -- http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=413006&Category=9&subCategoryID=0

I think this is a stupid law because I don't agree with doing jail time just because of long grass. However, I also don't think my neighbors SHOULD let their grass grow this high.... but I don't want them in jail because of it.

xRapidDavex

imported post

I honestly don't understand your response.

My point is the Herald shouldn't tell me that they hate seeing people carrying openly - that is all people - and then turn around and tell me they think it should stay legal.

eddified

imported post

Yes I understand what you're saying. It is kinda weird to read "you shouldn't open carry" one sentence and then read "but it should stay legal" the next sentence.

However, there is a distinction between "you shouldn't do X because I don't like it" and "you shouldn't do X because it shouldn't even be legal".

In other words, it's one thing to say "i really don't think you should do that" and an ENTIRELY different thing to say, "that should be illegal". Just because someone does something I don't like doesn't necessarily mean I think it should be illegal... do you follow?

They article could have said something like, "I don't like open carry because it scares people,... but I respect the 2nd amendment enough to acknowledge that it should still be legal". It's a possibility that the author thought something along these lines.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the author COULD have meant that, but it didn't come across like that to me.

Seemed like they were trying to spout off their agenda while trying to salvage themselves with us.