• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL renewal course info

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You DO NOT need to take a course for a CPL renewal. This is just a money maker for the CPL instructors. Don't fall for it. See below.

28.425l License; validity; duration; renewal; waiver of educational requirements; fingerprints.

Sec. 5l.

(1) A license to carry a concealed pistol is valid until the applicant's date of birth that falls not less than 4 years or more than 5 years after the license is issued. Except as provided in subsections (6) and (7), a renewal of a license under section 5b shall, except as provided in this section, be issued in the same manner as an original license issued under section 5b.

(2) The concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a renewal license within 60 days after the application for renewal is properly submitted. The county clerk shall issue the applicant a receipt for his or her renewal application at the time the application is submitted. The receipt shall contain all of the following:

(a) The name of the applicant.

(b) The date and time the receipt is issued.

(c) The amount paid.

(d) A statement that the receipt is for a license renewal.

(e) A statement of whether the applicant qualifies for an extension under subsection (3).

(f) The name of the county in which the receipt is issued.

(g) An impression of the county seal.

(3) If the concealed weapon licensing board fails to deny or issue a renewal license to the person within 60 days as required under subsection (2), the expiration date of the current license is extended by 180 days or until the renewal license is issued, whichever occurs first. This subsection does not apply unless the person pays the renewal fee at the time the renewal application is submitted and the person has submitted a receipt from a police agency that confirms that a background check has been requested by the applicant.

(4) A person carrying a concealed pistol after the expiration date of his or her license pursuant to an extension under subsection (3) shall keep the receipt issued by the county clerk under subsection (2) and his or her expired license in his or her possession at all times that he or she is carrying the pistol. For the purposes of this act, the receipt is considered to be part of the license to carry a concealed pistol until a renewal license is issued or denied. Failing to have the receipt and expired license in possession while carrying a concealed pistol or failing to display the receipt to a peace officer upon request is a violation of this act.

(5) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) are waived for an applicant who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer.

(6) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) for an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license under this act are waived except that the applicant shall certify that he or she has completed at least 3 hours' review of the training described under section 5b(7)(c) and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the subsequent application.

(7) Beginning January 1, 2007, an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license issued under section 5b is not required to have fingerprints taken again under section 5b(9) if all of the following conditions have been met:

(a) There has been established a system for the department of state police to save and maintain in its automated fingerprint identification system (AFIS) database all fingerprints that are submitted to the department of state police under section 5b.

(b) The applicant's fingerprints have been submitted to and maintained by the department of state police as described in subdivision (a) for ongoing comparison with the automated fingerprint identification system (AFIS) database.

History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 719, Eff. July 1, 2003 ;-- Am. 2005, Act 262, Eff. July 1, 2006 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 92, Eff. July 1, 2006 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 184, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2006 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 456, Imd. Eff. Dec. 20, 2006
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Just speculation, but do you need a "qualified" instructor to "certify" that you reviewed the material? If not, this is great news, though I do have a few more years...
You just need to swear under oath (raise you hand and everything) that you have done what is required. That is that you have reviewed the material, that you are aware of changes in the law and you have 1 hour of range time in the previous 6 months. No need to bring in anyone but you.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Just speculation, but do you need a "qualified" instructor to "certify" that you reviewed the material? If not, this is great news, though I do have a few more years...
You just need to swear under oath (raise you hand and everything) that you have done what is required. That is that you have reviewed the material, that you are aware of changes in the law and you have 1 hour of range time in the previous 6 months. No need to bring in anyone but you.
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

taxwhat

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
failure to be truthful may put you in jail just go and shoot and check Internet for law updates as cpl rso handgun instructor truth will keep you free also there is no CLASS for renewal as Venator stated

WARCHILD

imported post

Ok, I really feel stupid now. I just checked the MSP updates again. I don't know how I missed it but I did. I need clarification on the cpl renewal date. According to the MSP udate, it expires on your birthday, not the date of issue. This is NEWS to me, never heard anything about it. My question is as follows; My current cpl has....

Issue date: May 05, 2004.... Exp. date: May 04, 2009

Now then, does my cpl expire on my birthday of Oct. 09, 2008.... or has it already expired as of Oct. 09, 2008?????

HELP!!!!!!!

[align=justify]Concealed Pistol Licenses to expire on holder’s date of birth [/align]
[font=Arial,Arial]
[align=left]Effective June 19, 2006 [/align]
[align=justify]Under the amended statute, newly issued or renewed CPLs will expire on the date of birth of the applicant, rather than the date of issue as previously required. [/align]
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]
MCL 28.425l

[/font]

Gosirr

imported post

28.425h Expiration of license issued under former law; renewal license.

Sec. 5h.

(1) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol on the effective date of the amendatory act that added this section may carry a concealed pistol under that license until the license expires or the individual's authority to carry a concealed pistol under that license is otherwise terminated, whichever occurs first.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol on the effective date of the amendatory act that added this section may apply for a renewal license upon the expiration of that license as provided in section 5l.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gpnf3b45nni4lg55srg4ekqd))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425h

taxwhat

imported post

Gosirr wrote:
28.425h Expiration of license issued under former law; renewal license.

Sec. 5h.

(1) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol on the effective date of the amendatory act that added this section may carry a concealed pistol under that license until the license expires or the individual's authority to carry a concealed pistol under that license is otherwise terminated, whichever occurs first.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol on the effective date of the amendatory act that added this section may apply for a renewal license upon the expiration of that license as provided in section 5l.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gpnf3b45nni4lg55srg4ekqd))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425h
(EXCERPT) of law not with updates or revisions .

Gosirr

imported post

Act 372 of 1927
Statute
FIREARMS (28.421 - 28.435)
***** 28.422.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009 ***** ***** 28.422 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009: See 28.422.amended *****

AS AMENDED HAS NO INFO.

taxwhat

imported post

Gosirr wrote:
Act 372 of 1927
Statute
FIREARMS (28.421 - 28.435)
***** 28.422.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009 ***** ***** 28.422 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009: See 28.422.amended *****

AS AMENDED HAS NO INFO.

I just recieved my permit in Wayne county and the issue date is 07-11-06 and expiration date is 09-28-10. this amounts to 4 yrs 2 mos not 5 years. They apparently decided to change the expire date to your birthday since that is mine. I paid a full fee for 5 years. Can I get a partial refund?

A:
Public Act 184, effective June 19, 2006, changed the way new CPL's are issued/expire.

Sec. 5l. (1) Reads:

A license to carry a concealed pistol issued before July 1, 2003 is valid for 3 years and a license to carry a concealed pistol issued on or after July 1, 2003 but before July 1, 2006 is valid for 5 years, and a license to carry a concealed pistol issued on or after July 1, 2006 is valid until the applicant's date of birth that falls not less than 4 years or more than 5 years after the license is issued. A license that is renewed before the immediately preceding license term expires, but not more than 1 year before the immediately preceding license term expires, shall bear an issue date that is identical to the expiration date of the preceding license. A renewal of a license under section 5b shall, except as provided in this section, be issued in the same manner as an original license issued under section 5b.

Your license, issued after July 1, 2006, expires on your DOB which occurs between the 4th and 5th year. There is no provision in PA 184 for a refund