• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing ALL THE TIME??

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Marine Master Sergeant wrote:
As I sit back and ponder thought, it is difficult to understand why so many of you are so "wrapped up" in "open carrying"??? The fact that I CAN carry openly, doesn't mean that I go everywhere with my firearm in the open! Why do so many of you choose to do this? Why are there sooooomany of you guys posting your latest "RUN-INS"with either a law enforcement official, or a business owner???I carry EVERYDAY. I have NEVER been asked to leaveANY establishment. Why? I don'tpublicly "display" my firearm. Can I display it? SURE! It would seem that the ONLY people carryingin the open, are those that DESIRE ATTENTION. Ormaybe those actually seeking confrontation. The guy with asmall bulge under his t-shirt is not going to be asked to leave a store. Don't get me wrong, with regards to all of our"rights and freedoms". I fully support them. I served more than 20 years active duty in the Marine Corps, defending our rights.I think that all this "testing" of"WHICH BUSINESS IS GOING TO THROW ME OUT NEXT?" is crazy!!! Why is it that you don't ever see an off-duty police officer carrying his off-dutyfirearm out in the open?Probably, because he HAS NO NEED TO DRAW ANY ATTENTION TO HIMSELF!YOU ALL seem tohave this need. Is this TRULY a forum of people JUST desiring to EXERCISE THEIR RIGHTS? Or is it an "EGO" thing? You don't have a CFP? Get one!If you already have a CFP, then put your shirt over your cool looking GUN!!!! Try this for a while, and I bet nobody will ever say ANYTHING to you again. But then, I guess, there would be NOTHING to discuss here in the FORUM! I ran a business in Weber County for a couple years. If a person came into my establishment "displaying" a firearm, I would ask them if they had a CFP. If they did not, I asked them to leave. Private Property. "MY PROPERTY". No loss of income. At least, with a CFP, your butt is documented with BCI. I'm ok with that. Otherwise, I'm gonna be the only one on MY property with a gun! It's also your right to protest in public. BUT NOT ON MY PROPERTY! Stop seeking attention and complaining about establishments that ask you to leave---- PULL YOUR SHIRT OVER YOUR WEAPON. CArry in the open? EXPECT ATTENTION-- FOREVER!

Well Welcome to you to Marine Master Sergeant,

#1) A CFP is a PRIVILEGE by the State/Government

#2) To OC (Open Carry) is a Right by the CONSTITUTION of the.......UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

This is the BIGGEST difference.
I served more than 20 years active duty in the Marine Corps, defending our rights.

Well, OBVIOUSLY you haven't due to the FACT that you DON'T know aRIGHT is from a Cows A$$ if you say what you did.

With all due respect Master Sergeant, I came to this country from Sweden Aug 8th, 1998 and can PROUDLY say that I became a U.S CITIZEN finally Jan 14th, 2008.

I don't SEEK attention as you KINDLY described it but on the CONTRARY to you I make the PEOPLE of this GREAT NATION be AWARE of the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS that YOU Master Sergeant, is HIDDING UNDER YOUR SHIRT, which is a PRIVILEGE once again by the State/Goverment that CAN be taken away in an instance.

You say that you have "served more than 20 years active duty in the Marine Corps, defending our rights."

Well KEEP UP WITH IT. DefendOUR RIGHTS now.

About a month ago my wife and I came out from Home Depot in WVC and as we were about to get into our car a Gentleman approached and said something to the effect -" Thank you for fighting forOUR rights here at Home too. I just came back from overseas fighting for their freedom there. Don't let us loose it here. "

He said this after he saw my "A Right UnExcercised IS a Right Lost" sticker on the car and my 1911 on my hip.

This is a GREAT Salute to ALL of ourSOLDIERS . That we are still "fighting" for our Rights.

Wake up and be a Marine , Master Sergeant.

"FIGHT" FOR WHAT IS STILL OURS TO KEEP.

The CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES reminds us of our RIGHTS and NOT of our "PRIVILEGES".

Just my .40

([suB][suP]sorry[/suP][/suB]:uhoh:)

TJ

P.S Welcome again and sorry. I just get all :cuss:when a person don't realize theRIGHTS you have in this GREAT NATION that other Countries don't really have. D.D

Marine Master Sergeant

imported post

Bob (Senior Chief), So sorry to have offended you. It appears that all parties involved (everybody in this forum), has taken offense to my posting. To all of you that open carry, for theSOLE purpose of self defense, Keep on chargin' ! For all of you who open carry, strictly for the purpose of "stroking your ego" ? You know who you are--AND I think you are an IDIOT. If everybody in this forum "ACTUALLY IS" carrying for self defense purposes, then YOU SHOULD NOT be offended at all. If an establishment asks you to leave, your rights have not been violated.They have rights also- that are JUST AS IMPORTANT as the right to OPEN CARRY. We all know the law. I alsoEXPECT my local law enforcement to investigateanything and ANYBODY that would be REMOTELY a POTENTIAL THREAT.Maybe I wouldn't have this impression of you all, if the majority of your topics weren't about "which store asked me to leave today". When the policearrest you and take your weapon away, post a remark. When you receive a citation for carrying your gun in the open, post a remark. When you get beaten by six cops with batons, and thrown in jail, post a remark. When you are doing nothing but posting comments on "what store made me leave", or "where can we all meet for lunch and OC our guns" some people kinda wonder what your "TRUE AGENDA" is?

Bobby, Don't ever refer to me as your "brother E8". And don't ever question my service, nor my loyalty to our nation. The blue I.D. card is in my wallet. And I receive a paycheck on the 1st of every month-for the rest of my life.

If it "baffles" some of you that a retired Marine is not "supporting our right to open carry"-- Then you ARE AN IDIOT, ONCEAGAIN!!!! That IS NOT MY POINT. But that's what you think.

I look forward to continuing to read all the new topics in the coming months. I have truly gathered a lot of useful information from your forums.

When I open carry, there will never be a need for me to "post the results". If and when a store owner/manager asks me to leave, I already know that it is their right to ask me to leave. Nothing much to complain about. Nothing worth "POSTING". However, WHEN RIGHTS ARE ACTUALLY VIOLATED-- I LIKE READING THOSE POSTS, BECAUSE THAT'S VALUABLE INFORMATION. AND I WOULD SURELY GET INVOLVED.

I'm not gonna "BOYCOT" a store, just because somebody OC'D and was asked to leave. A lot of them also require shoes and a shirt. Should I boycot the place because you didn't have your flip-flops on? HOW DARE THEY THROW YOU OUT!

The "cool guy with the gun on the hip". Who probably got his BUTT handed to him on the school grounds. He can defend himself now.

The CC Forums don't have any problems to report, like you guys!

In our society, wear a gun on your hip, in the open, without a badge right next to it, expect to be questioned. Expect society to be weary. Look at it this way, if they weren't, you guys would have nothing to talk about.

I look forward to reading about those situations involving law enforcement. Those of you posting your "WAL-MART EXPERIENCES", get a life!

Be safe out there.

Aegis

imported post

Bob (Senior Chief), So sorry to have offended you. It appears that all parties involved (everybody in this forum), has taken offense to my posting. To all of you that open carry, for theSOLE purpose of self defense, Keep on chargin' ! For all of you who open carry, strictly for the purpose of "stroking your ego" ? You know who you are--AND I think you are an IDIOT. If everybody in this forum "ACTUALLY IS" carrying for self defense purposes, then YOU SHOULD NOT be offended at all. If an establishment asks you to leave, your rights have not been violated.They have rights also- that are JUST AS IMPORTANT as the right to OPEN CARRY. We all know the law. I alsoEXPECT my local law enforcement to investigateanything and ANYBODY that would be REMOTELY a POTENTIAL THREAT.Maybe I wouldn't have this impression of you all, if the majority of your topics weren't about "which store asked me to leave today". When the policearrest you and take your weapon away, post a remark. When you receive a citation for carrying your gun in the open, post a remark. When you get beaten by six cops with batons, and thrown in jail, post a remark. When you are doing nothing but posting comments on "what store made me leave", or "where can we all meet for lunch and OC our guns" some people kinda wonder what your "TRUE AGENDA" is?

Bobby, Don't ever refer to me as your "brother E8". And don't ever question my service, nor my loyalty to our nation. The blue I.D. card is in my wallet. And I receive a paycheck on the 1st of every month-for the rest of my life.

If it "baffles" some of you that a retired Marine is not "supporting our right to open carry"-- Then you ARE AN IDIOT, ONCEAGAIN!!!! That IS NOT MY POINT. But that's what you think.

I look forward to continuing to read all the new topics in the coming months. I have truly gathered a lot of useful information from your forums.

When I open carry, there will never be a need for me to "post the results". If and when a store owner/manager asks me to leave, I already know that it is their right to ask me to leave. Nothing much to complain about. Nothing worth "POSTING". However, WHEN RIGHTS ARE ACTUALLY VIOLATED-- I LIKE READING THOSE POSTS, BECAUSE THAT'S VALUABLE INFORMATION. AND I WOULD SURELY GET INVOLVED.

I'm not gonna "BOYCOT" a store, just because somebody OC'D and was asked to leave. A lot of them also require shoes and a shirt. Should I boycot the place because you didn't have your flip-flops on? HOW DARE THEY THROW YOU OUT!

The "cool guy with the gun on the hip". Who probably got his BUTT handed to him on the school grounds. He can defend himself now.

The CC Forums don't have any problems to report, like you guys!

In our society, wear a gun on your hip, in the open, without a badge right next to it, expect to be questioned. Expect society to be weary. Look at it this way, if they weren't, you guys would have nothing to talk about.

I look forward to reading about those situations involving law enforcement. Those of you posting your "WAL-MART EXPERIENCES", get a life!

Be safe out there.

As an Retired Army Master Sergeant I managed to pick up a few things during my day or two int he service of this Great Country regarding the Constitution and the Bill of Rights;

1. You do NOT have the rightto not be offended or annoyed

2. You DO have the right voice your opinion.

3. Once voiced; if you still dont like the opinions of those around you, you DO have the right to leave.

That having been said; I dont always agree with everyones opinion, but I spent over 20 years defendingthier right to be entitled to them , and I dont feel the need to belittle or insult them for thier beliefs simply because they run counter to mine.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From a woman's point of view, try and conceal in the summer... it looks pretty funny since our clothes are usually next to our body (form fitting)! not to mention it would be hard to fit inside your pants. I would have to go another route unless I was a tom boy (no offense to other women) or dress from the norm of other women. I occasionally conceal in my purse, but what if a thief steals my purse? I just armed a criminal! Wouldn't a gun on my hip be more effective? Because for one thing someone trying to rob a women with a gun on her hip would be pretty stupid! Next I have easier access to my gun and faster draw if I have to use it, which I hope I never will. Plus to add to a theif, women tend to be more of a target for rape, etc. In my opinion if I were a theif I would stay away from a women with a gun on her hip because chances are she probally knows how to use it really well! Catch my drift... I could go on and if I need to I will! But I think I explained it ok for now. Just one of the many reasons I Open Carry. :D

swillden

imported post

To all of you that open carry, for theSOLE purpose of self defense, Keep on chargin' ! For all of you who open carry, strictly for the purpose of "stroking your ego"?
I don't think there's ANYONE here who open carries to stroke their ego, so the rest of your comments don't apply.

You neglected to address those of us who carry not only for self defense, but also to make a political statement -- which has nothing to do with our egos and much to do with our intent to help everyone else understand what our rights are.

Oh, and in the interest of making a political point, we absolutely WILL boycott establishments that ask us not to open carry.

GeneticsDave

imported post

swillden wrote:
Oh, and in the interest of making a political point, we absolutely WILL boycott establishments that ask us not to open carry.
I don't think MMS understands that the reason we post here is to let others know what happened, bad or good. This is a central hub for OC reporting. If we had a good experience at a store/location we may let people know. If we had a bad experience, we let people know. This way people can boycott or write letters. It has nothing to do with egos or "look at me" mentality. Of course, there are some OC'ers who seem like they WANT to be approached by police, but I think that desire comes from wanting an opportunity to make a difference either by being a good example or through education, not just so that they can post their latest "run in with the law" here in an effort to "show off". Obviously MMS has something against OCing a weapon if you're not LE or Military, which is a sad attitude - like they are the only ones "professional" enough or with enough "authority" to OC a sidearm. "All us 'lil civvies need ta jus' conceal 'dem guns, yessiree." Heaven forbid we do what we want within our rights (a sign of true citizenship), rather than blindly do what the state tells us to.

Marine Master Sergeant

imported post

From the article Sgt J posted:

"Yes, folks, you do have something to hide, and you should hide it -- not because guns are bad or because you're a threat, but because guns make a lot of people uncomfortable, and they think youmight be a threat. After all, most of the people in the grocery store parking lot don't know you, and from their point of view youcould be a threat. Odds are that you look more like a criminal than a lawyer."

Genetics Dave,

Your thoughts and replies are "deep" and "intelligent" (sarcasm, if you didn't get it). Thanks to Sgt Jensen, again, for posting that article. As the article states, and as I stated the other day- Your "so-called' CAUSE --may actually result in a negative effect on those who actuallyLIKE protecting themselves.I sooooo appreciate you all helping your fellow citizens protect their rights! (sarcasm again, GD- in case you didn't get that one either).

GeneticsDave

imported post

Genetics Dave,

Your thoughts and replies are "deep" and "intelligent" (sarcasm, if you didn't get it). Thanks to Sgt Jensen, again, for posting that article. As the article states, and as I stated the other day- Your "so-called' CAUSE --may actually result in a negative effect on those who actuallyLIKE protecting themselves.I sooooo appreciate you all helping your fellow citizens protect their rights! (sarcasm again, GD- in case you didn't get that one either).
Thank you for your use of convincing arguments, evidence and opinion in your replies (sarcasm, in case you didn't catch it). There's nothing here to respond to, except to recommend that you find another forum to post your mindless thoughts on. Good-bye MMS.

swillden

imported post

Congratulations on moving beyond pure ad hominem attacks on onto something that remotely resembles rational argument.

Now if you'll just drop all of the sarcasm, state your points and try to support them, then we can actually have a reasonable debate, and you won't be accused of being a troll all the time.

I think there definitely is a point to be discussed here, because at least in some states there is a legitimate risk that our right to carry might be restricted as a result of a backlash against OC. In many states restricting OC would require an amendment to the state constitution, but Utah isn't one of them (as evidenced by the fact that OC is already partially regulated in Utah).

I don't believe this risk is significant, however, especially if we OC responsiblly. As many of us are well aware -- because of direct, personal experience -- OC'ing while acting normally and dressed reasonably well creates very few, if any, seriously negative responses. Many people are surprised, few are frightened, and some react very positively. Thus far, as far as we can tell there have been NO requests to state legislators to restrict either OC or CC as a result of OCers' actions. And we, collectively, have pretty good contacts in the legislature.

We also know that we have some rather strong advocates in the state legislature, and in the attorney general's office as well (even if the AG has to be a good lawyer and won't release an opinion clarifying OC on campus in order to head off a threatened lawsuit).

At present, in Utah, there is very little chance that responsible OC will result in a significant backlash, and a much greater chance that it will result in acclimation of the populace.

MSM: If you can lose the sarcasm and try to engage in an honest discussion, I welcome your counterarguments.

b1ack5mith

imported post

i am exempt from the idiot check and safety courses, my father passed naval AND marine bootcamp (CB) and passed the U.D.T. training :D

he was also a police officer in signal hill CA.

we dont take kindly to CCers round' these parts ;)

stop complaining to us, some of us cant CC.

b1ack5mith

imported post

hahahahaa dad was sure right about marines though...

also, if an officer ever takes my gun away illegally, he better be prepared to have his badge taken away from him too :D

thx997303

imported post

MMS, all of you're posts, save one, have been uselessly sarcastic or blatant attacks on OCers. Please act civily. Our viewpoint differs from yours. That is perfectly fine.

It's one of those things that adults should be able to discuss without getting pissed off.

One of my good friends and I have two completely opposite religious views, and discuss them at length every now and then, and have never gotten mad at each other for them.

We disagree on many points, often to two different extremes, but we can discuss it like civil adults.

Please calm down and discuss in a polite adult manner.

Or leave, it's up to you.

Oh, and my dad was LEO for 15 years. I am current military, and my grandfather was Navy. So stop the condescending attitude, You aint the only person who has served this country.

Aegis

imported post

Per MMS:

""Yes, folks, you do have something to hide, and you should hide it -- not because guns are bad or because you're a threat, but because guns make a lot of people uncomfortable"

Once again, you are missing amain point; The Bill of rights and Constitution were NOT written to make people feel comfortable or give them warm fuzzies.

They were designed to protect thier rights.....EVERYONES rights....not just the ones that get indigestion at the sight of another citizen carrying a wearing a side arm.

You have made your opinions known already; Now...please find another bone to chew on if you dont like the flavor of this one.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I and we (most of us) OC people don't even notice most of the time. With me it is only about 5% or less that people even take notice. When they do notice almost all have been postive encounters and only a handful of gockers, only one negative that I successfully turned into a postitive! Its people like you MMS that only talk and never follow threw or actually do anything!

rocknsnow

imported post

Marine Master Sergeant,

Iwrite none of this with the intention of offending you or anyone else on the board.

Just a little information. I am within a few days of my 21st birthday. I already do have a permit thanks to Maine issuing a permit and for Utah accepting it. I am also a Aviation Warrant Officer in the US Army. I don't tell you this just to one up you in anyway. I too am proud of my service the last four years and the things that I do to defend this country and the rights we have. I do a mixture of open and conceal carry. The mixture depends on who I am with, what i might be wearing, and what i might be doing. I am thankful that our Constitution that both you and I swore to defend allows me to care a weapon for self defense in the way that works best for me, it that is open or concealed.

I am also thankful that we have Freedom of Speech. Something else that you and I swore to defend. I am happy to hear your comments. But NOW THIS GOES FOR EVERYONE ON THE BOARD NOT JUST Marine Master Sergeant, but I do not feel the need to attack individuals on there choice of carry. I don't know if thx997303is 21 or not, but if he chooses to only open carry that is his choice. Just like we get to choose what religion we want to study we all get to choose how we carry a weapon.

Now I thinkMarine Master Sergeant, and a few others here are going a little far in attacking other people. Marine Master Sergeantin your very first comment on the boards here on Open Carry you might have attacked a little to much, and I also feel that maybe some of the people on the board may have also read to much into your first comment.

I would hope that everyone here on this board will be polite and not make comments like:

"I think the shoe fits! SOME OF YOU !!!!!:)"

or

"Troll"

or start tearing down our armed forces. I for one am offended by people who called marines what they did. I have worked with and know many marines. Yes they are of a different breed. Thus they are Marines, and guess what, they are damn good at what they do. I will fight along side one any day in a combat zone. All our armed forces have a role to play. Please do not demoralize them. Because tearing them down here in the States only demoralizes out troops over in the sand box.

I hope that this comment doesn't offend anyone in any way. I just had a few thoughts that I felt I should share with people.

Thanks, Tucker

GeneticsDave

imported post

rocknsnow,

I just wanted to let you know that my calling of MMS a troll was only to point out his bad behavior. A troll is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1][/sup] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion. As such I shout the TROLL warning and then try to follow the saying, "Don't feed the trolls!"