• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC negligent discharge

Michigander

imported post

Long story short, I went to take a piss, and my holstered CZ52 fell off my belt, and landed on the hammer, blowing a hole through my leg. I've spent some time in the hospital and I'll be alright in time, I got pretty damn lucky.

Anyway, I had the hammer down, safety on, and a round in the chamber. I made the mistake of trusting it since it was pretty new looking when I got it, and the decocker always worked, and it looked like the safety would keep the hammer off the pin.

I had the cops take the pistol for destruction. In the future it won't be as much of an issue since I no longer plan to carry a round in the chamber, but it's still an unforgiveable flaw.

I hope that those of you here who own CZ52's think very carefully when you use them. The safety is an absolutely worthless device. The decocker will shoot it off, as will a fall if it lands on the hammer. As far as I'm concerned these things are deadly pieces of junk, and I won't be missing mine. As if that weren't enough, I now know first hand that they have next to no stopping power.

Yep, from here on in I'll be OCing my Sig.:cool:

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, I hope you recover without complications.

Hopefully your decision to carry without a chambered round is temporary until this passes, but a gun without a chambered round is still better than no gun at all.

Michigander

imported post

Yep, neither your Glock nor my Sig.

Call me stupid for no longer wanting one in the chamber if you want, it is much less ready. But I got a whole new perspectve on carry by this incident. In time my mind may change, but for the time being it will not.

As for recovery, I'm due to walk in 6 weeks.

If nothing else, I hope that those who read this think very carefully about their guns and if they should be trusted with one in the chamber.

compmanio365

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I'm sorry but I have to laugh... Glad my Glock won't do that.

What an absolute asshole thing to say......and Glock's had more than it's fair share of it's blame in blowing holes in people's legs.......

Michigander, that sucks and hopefully you make a full recovery......

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Yep, neither your Glock nor my Sig.

Call me stupid for no longer wanting one in the chamber if you want, it is much less ready. But I got a whole new perspectve on carry by this incident. In time my mind may change, but for the time being it will not.

As for recovery, I'm due to walk in 6 weeks.

If nothing else, I hope that those who read this think very carefully about their guns and if they should be trusted with one in the chamber.

I'm confident there's members here that wouldhesitate tocarry again, let alone, concerning themselves with a chambered round if they were in your situation.

Get better Michigander and hope to see you soon.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
and Glock's had more than it's fair share of it's blame in blowing holes in people's legs.......
Show me one documented case of a Glock going off without something or someone pulling the trigger? Unload a Glock and try to get it go off by dropping it. Try to get it on video, if you can I will immediately unchamber my Glock, until then just concede that Glocks are only for people with enough sense to know how to keep their fingers off the trigger.

Anyway, OP, I hope you have a full and quick recovery. Do you have any intentions of reporting this to CZ? You may have wanted to keep the pistol if you wanted to work anything out with the company, at least get them to pay for your medical bills.

This does give me pause to think that if I ever buy a used gun I will be taking it to a gunsmith to check for the safety of the piece before carrying it, even if it looks new.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
SNIP...may[want] to keep the pistol if you [want] to work anything out with the company, at least get them to pay for your medical bills.
Good point for people to know.

I have no idea whether this next applies to the OP. I'm chipping it in for general knowledge of the forum. Definitely NOT criticizing, or suggesting the OP did anything wrong.

Know youtool; read the manual. And keep it mechanically sound. I've read of some pistols thatrequire thedecocker be used to lower the hammer, as opposed to manually easing the hammer down. Something about a safety notch that gets engaged when the de-cocker is used.But the safety notch gets bypassed when the hammer is let down manually. Or the notch doesn't get properly engaged when done manually--read sear not fully into the notch. I'm a little foggy on which.

My former pistol had no de-cocker and I always had to ease the hammer down manually. Fortunately I had a firing pin block safety that made it a lot less nerve-wracking. After letting the hammer down, I had to ease it back just a tad until I heard it click in the safety notch. You can bet I pressed forward hard, finger off the trigger to make sure it was well engaged in the safety notch.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Glad you are doing well! Hope you have no complications.
But I have to ask. Rather than repair the pistol (CZ 52's are known to have worn out decockers) you destroy it instead?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How horrible, Michagander! Hope your recover is quick and relatively painless.

Good lesson for all of us. This scenario is part of the reason I chose the XD and later Sig P228 as my primary carry weapons. Both have had the snot beat out of them by gov't testers without going off in such a scenario.

Sheriff

imported post

Don't feel so bad, it happens to the best. We had a local police firearms instructor arrive at the range and shoot himself in the leg while unloading his duty weapon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! :dude:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

That sucks about your leg. Man that must be terrible to be shot, especially by your own gun.

You didn't have to kill thepoor CZ52 though,I would've been happy to take it off your handsto punnish it. Even if its not safe to carry with a loaded chamber due to not being drop safe, its still a good gun for racking the slide when the chamber needs to be loaded right?

...Oh well, the gun wasn't worth that much anyway. Probably not worth a fraction of what the medical bill costs huh? You could've sold it though to help pay for the med costs. Would've served the thing right for hurting you!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
You could've sold it though to help pay for the med costs. Would've served the thing right for hurting you!
I would never sell a gun I know is dangerous. I would have held on to it and contacted CZ. I'm not usually a litigious person, but the idea that a gun can go off if dropped is something that I thought only existed in the minds of the anti's, and actually having it happen means that there is a definite problem.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
You could've sold it though to help pay for the med costs. Would've served the thing right for hurting you!
I would never sell a gun I know is dangerous. I would have held on to it and contacted CZ. I'm not usually a litigious person, but the idea that a gun can go off if dropped is something that I thought only existed in the minds of the anti's, and actually having it happen means that there is a definite problem.

Some older guns were not drop safe.As long as they aren't carried with a chambered round they are safe. Modern guns usually have safeties to prevent this. I don't know about the CZ52 whether it does or not. If the gun is supposed to be and its broken, then it would be bad to sell it to someone else. I definitely wouldn't want somebody else to get hurt by thinking the gun was safe, or sell any defective equipment. My post was meant to belight hearted and entertaining sosorry if Iactually came across soundingupset over an inanimate object.

Anyway, I can't imagine what it'd be like to be shot in the leg. Good luck recovering michigander.

Edited to add: I just looked it up on wikipedia, and the Cz-52 is supposed to be drop-safe, no way in I'd sell it given a definite mechanical failure, at least not until the gun was repaired (which may or may not even be worth the price since CZ-52s are cheap anyway.) I also wouldn't want a dangerously defective gun.

You're right asforme. Sorry to all for innapropriateness.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Major bummer Michigander! I hope you recover quickly and fully. Thank you for destroying something that would have been a danger to the next owner and for bringing this incident to the forum.
Its a harsh reminder that mechanical devices fail!

Michigander

imported post

Just a reminder, this gun was in very good condition. The decocker always worked fine at the range (when it was safe to play with the decocker), and with the safety on, the hammer would never get anywhere near the pin. But I guess a good fall was enough force to over power the sear.

Given what happened, I will never again endorce the CZ52 as a good weapon, and I sure don't regret losing the 240 bucks it cost me to get it with mags. I'm glad it's gone, and I hope no cop is stupid enough to take it home.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow! Glad you're ok. I was just looking at those and may still just for the collection, but it definitely won't be my carry weapon! Was it chambered for9mm or 7.62 Tokarev?

Also, if you got that on your C&R, ensure you keep the receipt from the PD for your bound book.

Michigander

imported post

It was the 7.62. WOW was that round weak. For all that speed, it throws it all away. Makes a tiny hole, and the thick FMJ doesn't expand one bit, even with stucco and bone. The EMS guy even said "there's your problem, you need a .45 with some HP's, that hole is tiny!"

No C and R. But I did call Michigan to get it unregistered.