• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC negligent discharge

Johnny Law

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I'm sorry but I have to laugh... Glad my Glock won't do that.
Hmmmmm..................When the Spokane Deputy put a round in his own leg during training your comment was quote;"what a fuckin moron".

No offence to you Michigander but if you had been a Cop,Bravo would have likely taken the opportunity for a little more Cop bashing, or do you consider Michigander a "fuckin moron" as well?

Michigander, please do not take this as criticism from me to you, as I am only highlighting Bravo's apparent double standard. I am sorry for what happened, and do not think any less of you because of it.

Michigander

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Don't feel so bad, it happens to the best. We had a local police firearms instructor arrive at the range and shoot himself in the leg while unloading his duty weapon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! :dude:

I rather quickly felt like that DEA agent with the Glock .40 and AR and the room full of kids. :what:

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
It was the 7.62. WOW was that round weak. For all that speed, it throws it all away. Makes a tiny hole, and the thick FMJ doesn't expand one bit, even with stucco and bone. The EMS guy even said "there's your problem, you need a .45 with some HP's, that hole is tiny!"

No C and R. But I did call Michigan to get it unregistered.
You're very lucky...that round is a BIG penetrator (90 gr @ 1500fps!) and we were just discussing it on another thread. It was the only pistol round to penetrate a kevlar helmet on The Box-O-Truth!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu25.htm

Michigander

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Hmmmmm..................When the Spokane Deputy put a round in his own leg during training your comment was quote;"what a fuckin moron".

No offence to you Michigander but if you had been a Cop,Bravo would have likely taken the opportunity for a little more Cop bashing, or do you consider Michigander a "fuckin moron" as well?

I am not looking to in any way justify what happened or make myself looked good. Firearms are inanimate objects, but with human intervention they can readily end human life. What happened is no ones fault but mine, and that is all there is to it. I do not take offense to any insults towards what I did or the choice of gun. What I did was stupid, even if many of us wouldn't have seen it coming.

Again, putting aside all that other crap, I hope everyone very seriously thinks about this and considers how it might apply to their carry pieces. That way there can be some good, perhaps even life saving good, that comes of this.

Evil Ernie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Glad you are doing well! Hope you have no complications.
But I have to ask. Rather than repair the pistol (CZ 52's are known to have worn out decockers) you destroy it instead?
I've heard the same thing about CZ52 having worn out decockers. Get well soon!!! Thankfully it was yer leg and not yer........!!!
Your leg and your pride will heal.

See, now thats why us OCer's pee sitting down....what, you don't?!?!? Dammit....

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Michigander, please do not take this as criticism from me to you, as I am only highlighting Bravo's apparent double standard. I am sorry for what happened, and do not think any less of you because of it.
I don't endorse bravo's name calling, but there's a huge difference beween a gun going off when it's dropped and a police officer shooting himself because he had his finger on the trigger. It is not cop bashing to call out someone who is not using safe procedures with their weapon and if anyone posts on here that they shot themselves because they had their finger on the trigger while reholstering, I'll probably chuckle too. In the case of Michigander, he is far more forgiving of the company than I would be. No gun should go off when dropped, every gun should go off when the trigger is pulled.

Michigander

imported post

Might just as well laugh. I don't care, put a bright spot on my crappy situation. Not like it changes anything. If somebody gets a kick out of it that works.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Well, since we've established that Michigander is safe and healthy, and we're trying to lighten the mood (and bring Michigander a chuckle), I'll throw this one out.

Almost brought new meaning to decocker....(rimshot)............................chirp...chirp....chirp....

Bullbuster

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Might just as well laugh. I don't care, put a bright spot on my crappy situation. Not like it changes anything. If somebody gets a kick out of it that works.
I don't think there is any reason for anyone to laugh regardless of how someone gets shot.:cuss: Hell it could have been the guy or kid next to you that coulda ended up in your hospital bed or worse yet dead.:banghead: We call all just be thankful the your doing well and make a full recovery with nothing more than a scar and a story, and yes this should be a lesson for everyone to keep in mind.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

People shoot themselves a LOT by either dropping a weapon and trying to catch it, putting it back in the holster with their finger on the trigger, drawing and putting their finger on the trigger before their sight is on the target, or dropping the weapon and having it "go off." Stupid is stupid and there is never an excuse.

My uncle was trying to be a cowboy, doing quick draws and what not.. shot himself twice in the leg with a .357 magnum.. damn near lost his leg. I laughed at him too.

SQLtables

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
People shoot themselves a LOT by either dropping a weapon and trying to catch it, putting it back in the holster with their finger on the trigger, drawing and putting their finger on the trigger before their sight is on the target, or dropping the weapon and having it "go off." Stupid is stupid and there is never an excuse.

My uncle was trying to be a cowboy, doing quick draws and what not.. shot himself twice in the leg with a .357 magnum.. damn near lost his leg. I laughed at him too.

Yea, well you're an asshole for that... things get dropped, it happens.. this is way different than your cowboy uncle, and the DEA officer, and all of the others who got shot by their own finger...

Here's a dancing banana to help push along the healing process Michigander! :celebrate

Marco

imported post

Michigander, hope you a speedy recovery.
Though I enjoy shooting my CZ52 I would have never carried it with a live round in the chamber, it is a range gun only.
Never trusted the out dated single action design.
The caliber is a blast to shot and was designed for penetration not expansion, light weight bullet, thick Full metal jacket at supersonic speed.

A picture for those who didn't know.

ScottyT

imported post

I am glad you are (relatively) ok, and I wish you a complete and speedy recovery.

... but I have to ask...

Did the police/paramedics/doctors/ANYONE take pictures before sewing you up? :uhoh:

Legba

imported post

I thought these had a half-cocked safety to avoid this very situation. Perhaps not. Sad to hear about your mishap. The identical situation nearly occurred to me, but the safety on my Smith held up, thankfully.

-ljp