Thread: Looking for a 4-6 July weekend in SW Virginia

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

We're leaving Boone, NC on July 4, and hoping to find somewhere in SW Virginia, preferably along 81 somewhere, to spend the night of the 4th, see some fireworks, and chill before heading home. I read last year about small towns along I-81 that have real festivals, but haven't found any good information yet.

Anyone know of the area and what we might check out? National Parks are out - the rules won't have changed yet.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

There usually set off fireworks in Vinton, Roanoke, Franklin(West Lake area near Hardy Ford Bridge), and I am sure there are some more.

P.S. Just a warning the LEO's are working real hard lately and usually are step it up for the 4th so I imaging it is going to be real heavy so watch that foot. Word from an anonymous officer he was told basically "we need funds for rising fuel cost" interpet that as you will.

Post imported post

This may not be far enough South for you.
    http://www.harrisonburgtourism.com/calendarDisplay.php?evID=1214&sDay=&sMonth =&sYear==

Come Celebrate The 4th Of July in downtown Harrisonburg!!
    Jul 4 2008,1PM-Dark | Independence Day Celebration

I believe, Abno works or worked in a Hotel in the area.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Well, Roanoke always puts on concerts and fireworks down by the river. After last year there shouldn't be any problems with OC. I won't be in town to test that though, sorry.

http://www.roanoke.com/entertainment...t/wb/xp-122333

Post imported post