• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Dickson Dozen Strike Back! (law suit filed)

apjonas

imported post

What can be learned from these two letters to the paper?

What a Scam!!
I am sure these gentlemen had this whole plot set up and planned. They knew what the outcome was going to be and then would turn around and sue the city. Why didnt they pick a small restaurant with no one in it along a rural road? Why, because nothing like this would have happened. Nope, they had to go into the busiest, high traffic area where there was children and others and tote their guns out in the open on purpose. I am hoping this goes to trial and they lose. This is the biggest scam I have seen in the longest time
Brian, Scranton, PA

Added: Thursday June 12, 2008 at 02:41 PM EST

I don't know if this is true or not but frankly it doesn't matter. The outcome was dictated by the DCPD. "Testers" are often used to check landlord compliance with civil rights laws, so doing a "carry-in" dinner isn't a scam. Visiting a black landlord in a predominately black area doesn't really serve the purpose of testing. The law is the same in Dickson City as it is any rural area. What is different is the attitude of the police in respecting the rights of citizens.

LEECHES
These open carry people are just foaming at the mouth. The dinner is just a sideline of their true objective and that is confrontation. They got what they wanted, attention and press. They talk about Jack Booted Thugs when referring to police and compare them to Nazis. Go read some of the vile at their website. If they are so high and mighty, they should learn some respect to earn some respect! They are one sided bigots, unwilling to listen to anyone but their own voice and opinion. I hope they lose this case then maybe they will wither and go away. The common citizen does not support this minority!!! They picked the wrong crusade to fight.
Bob, NY

I agree with Bob in part. Some of the OCDO postings are not very genteel. I am not talking necessarily about the people in the DC case. I am trying to demonstrate how perception is sometimes as important as reality. Let us strive for intelligent, rational but polite exchanges. Imagine yourself in front of a judge defending open carry. Do some of the posts reflect less than favorably upon you? This is not the neighborhood sandbox. Namecalling and so's your mother types of retorts have no value and no place in our movement. A cleverly worded jab now and then is one thing. Four-letter words, derogatory comments on physical appearance or questioning someone's legitimacy at birth are out of bounds. You will notice the demeanor of lawyers in court. Are they all well-bred saints? No - they just want to win and refuse to let silly behavior interfere with that goal.

Deanimator

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
johnnyb wrote:
sue for as much as you can. please attempt to get those officers fired.
Do we want them fired or do we want them trained the way they are supposed to be trained? As for the Chief, he can be fired.
By the attitudes which they displayed, they clearly do not hold the public trust dear. I come from Chicago, where the police hold the public in utmost contempt and display it at every opportunity. If you don't hold the police to a high standard, they will hold themselves to no standard at all. The names Finnegan, Weems, Abbate and Callahan are proof certain of it.

You can fix deficits in training. You can rarely fix deficits of character.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Firing them would work fine for me. There are few better ways to dirve home the point to all officers than for them to how others can lose their paychecks and livelihood because they did something illegal.

When the courts start awarding 'retraining education' to convicted criminals that Aren't police officers then I might change my mind. Until that time, those who perform criminal acts, ESPECIALLY under color of law should face harsher punishments, not lessor.

Samuel Adams wrote:
johnnyb wrote:
sue for as much as you can. please attempt to get those officers fired.
Do we want them fired or do we want them trained the way they are supposed to be trained? As for the Chief, he can be fired.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The court won't fire either officer or the chief. The court will make their findings and the city council and mayor will make their disciplinary decisions. To discuss it otherwise loses focus on what we really want here.

Generally speaking, we do not want money beyond recouping actual damages and for punitive damages to drive the point home when there are abuses which is the purpose of punitive damages. We do not want people to get fired just for the sake of having some politician or LEO fired. We do not want to freak out the communities, abuse personal property rights or make the community spend lots of money on training seminars for their officers.

We want to be left alone to lawfully exercise our constitutional rights in peace. We are peaceful law abiding citizens choosing to exercise our rights and we want to exercise those rights as peacefully, quietly and uneventfully as everyone else exercises their right to vocalize their opinions or go to the church of their choice. That is what we need the public to understand. Discussing firings of LEOs and $ amount of damages just reinforces the impression of those in the two above posted letters.

What the "Dickson Dozen" wanted that night was not to be activists, but to just have a quiet dinner with their families and friends while they happened to be openly exercising one of their constitutional rights. We just want the same thing for the future and that would be the greatest outcome of the lawsuit.

Pointman

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Firing them would work fine for me. There are few better ways to dirve home the point to all officers than for them to how others can lose their paychecks and livelihood because they did something illegal.

When the courts start awarding 'retraining education' to convicted criminals that Aren't police officers then I might change my mind. Until that time, those who perform criminal acts, ESPECIALLY under color of law should face harsher punishments, not lessor.
I made the point thatofficersshould be under the same laws ascitizens (in another post), not be shielded by the law when they are abusing power, power that they shouldn't have in the first place.

Each case should be taken individually. Police can make a mistake in judgement, just like the rest of us. Bad guys will continue to try to fool police, and they have to do what they think is right.

But there is a problem when a person is doing something completely legal and the officer calls it in and the DA says bend the guy over anyway because of some case law he was reading--that's even worse than legislating from the bench, it's gang mentality.

The Dickerson case is pretty clear-cut: Families were eating. In this case the officers' response was completely out of line, as was the DA, etc. Such blatant abuses of power do need to be dealt with. Filing false reports needs to be considered "evidence tampering." Arresting someone for eating dinner should be considered "kidnapping" (by definition). If any of us pulled a stunt like that at work because someone was not "eating strictly vegetarian" we'd be fired on the spot, plus possibly sued. The officers, DA, etc. did the same basicthing because they didn't like people lawfully defending their right to life. They should face the same penalties.

On the other hand, if they investigated the scene, found that nothing bad was happening (like a robbery), and asked to speak with the men carrying and the other customers, and confirmed the law before continuing with a detention, different story. If the 9-1-1 operator handled the call better, like asking a few basic questions, different story.

For the record, 9-1-1 operators do have some discretion. If they get a call that someone is wearing an Apple iPod mini, they can and will ask, "Is it stolen?" They can just as easily ask, "Is the gun in a holster? Is a robbery taking place?"

apjonas

imported post

#1 -The court does not have the power to fire anyone.

#2 - Talking about what you want here is industrial strength stupid. Let your lawyers do the talking and deal with these issues. If you are not party to the case, shut up anyway. You can do no good but much harm by flapping your gums no matter what your intent is. Moderators can and should provide updates on the action but any detailed "legal" discussion should be nipped in the bud.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
#2 - Talking about what you want here is industrial strength stupid. Let your lawyers do the talking and deal with these issues. If you are not party to the case, shut up anyway. You can do no good but much harm by flapping your gums no matter what your intent is. Moderators can and should provide updates on the action but any detailed "legal" discussion should be nipped in the bud.
Oh give me a break.

imperialism2024

imported post

To kind of clarify...

In this case, my feeling is that a ridiculously large lawsuit is necessary to drive home the point that it is not OK to violate the rights of any American, gun owner or not. From what I've read on here, in many cases involving illegal stops and detentions, the LEO(s) who stepped over the line is reigned in by fellow LEOs, or by his department. Or, they will try to ignore the incident entirely. Here, we have the police department as well as the city council supporting the actions of the LEOs involved. And if the segment of the Dickson City population that showed up at the city council meeting I attended is in any way representative of the city's total population, the subjects of Dickson City feel (and expect!) their LEOs to violate the Fourth amendment rights of citizens. And this is all when being confronted with the fact that the LEOs' actions were indeed illegal. Fair enough. Then pay up. Slaps on the wrist might be enough to deter many police departmets to get in line and stop violating citizens, but in this case, the culture surrounding Dickson City seems so far gone that this is not at all possible. The response that we've seen indicates that Dickson City has a blatant disregard for civil rights, and money talks in a way that complaints don't and the AG won't.

Deanimator

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
To kind of clarify...

In this case, my feeling is that a ridiculously large lawsuit is necessary to drive home the point that it is not OK to violate the rights of any American, gun owner or not. From what I've read on here, in many cases involving illegal stops and detentions, the LEO(s) who stepped over the line is reigned in by fellow LEOs, or by his department. Or, they will try to ignore the incident entirely. Here, we have the police department as well as the city council supporting the actions of the LEOs involved. And if the segment of the Dickson City population that showed up at the city council meeting I attended is in any way representative of the city's total population, the subjects of Dickson City feel (and expect!) their LEOs to violate the Fourth amendment rights of citizens. And this is all when being confronted with the fact that the LEOs' actions were indeed illegal. Fair enough. Then pay up. Slaps on the wrist might be enough to deter many police departmets to get in line and stop violating citizens, but in this case, the culture surrounding Dickson City seems so far gone that this is not at all possible. The response that we've seen indicates that Dickson City has a blatant disregard for civil rights, and money talks in a way that complaints don't and the AG won't.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-federal_jury_verdictjun13,0,4630555.story

I wonder how many judgements like that Dickson City could afford to eat?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I don't believe in would be neccessary to fire these officers nor the Chief BUT I believe there should be some serious ramifications. Like....Demotions....paycuts and some SERIOUS retraining. I could see SUSPENTION for a month WITHOUT pay. Hit them where it hurts but not totally damages. (The Wife/Girlfriend WILL remind them of the rest:lol:)

We all make mistakes as it has been brought up before. However, IF there is a pattern with an Officer from SIMILAR situations THEN give a little "harder" verdict.

We DON'T need Cops with their OWN agenda out there. Just because THEY don't like "civilians" with guns does mean that that can "push" them around.

Just my .40

TJ