• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK, how does one OC without a CFP yet?

Cykaos

Opt-Out Members
imported post

putting it on your dash in a holster does NOT satisfy the federal school zone act. He must completely (not just Utah) unload and put in a locking case. Doesn't matter if its in the back or front seat at that point.

He realizes that. He is simply talking about OC in a car. #2 of his post talks about locking it in a case for school zones.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Cykaos wrote:
putting it on your dash in a holster does NOT satisfy the federal school zone act. He must completely (not just Utah) unload and put in a locking case. Doesn't matter if its in the back or front seat at that point.

He realizes that. He is simply talking about OC in a car. #2 of his post talks about locking it in a case for school zones.

Well, show me an effective route to any destination that misses school zones.

scorpioajr

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
SlimsBFG wrote:
I thought having the gun just in a holster wasn't considered "secured". I have a Blackhawk SERPA holster...so if I had that on my dash in the car Utah unloaded, would be considered legal?

Yes, it is considered legal by BCI's (Bureau of Criminal Identification) interpretation.

There is 1 person that you can for sure ask these questions and that is Clark Aposhian, the Chairman of the Review Board at BCI. And also Chairman for Utah Shooting Council.

His cell # is 801-560-4836

Oh. I almost forgot. As OCDO carriers we kinda have our "designated" Attorney Mitch Vilos. He is also the Author to the book "Utah Gun Laws". Get it it's a VERY good book. It's almost mandatory to get that before you "strap" on so to speak.

Mitch's # is 801-560-7117

TJ

Now those are two phone numbers i want to have...

mazellan819

imported post

Before I got my permit, I use to carry my gun in its case that had a padlock on it. Each time I exited my vehicle, I removed the padlock before exiting and placed it on the seat. I would then exit my vehicle and discretely holster the weapon. In utah you don't have to have it in the trunk. The law sates that if not readily accessible and having a padlock made it not readily accessible and also protected me as I routinely had to pick up my kids from school. I know tactically it wasn't as good as having it unconcealed on the dash but It was what I chose to do.

scorpioajr

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
Before I got my permit, I use to carry my gun in its case that had a padlock on it. Each time I exited my vehicle, I removed the padlock before exiting and placed it on the seat. I would then exit my vehicle and discretely holster the weapon. In utah you don't have to have it in the trunk. The law sates that if not readily accessible and having a padlock made it not readily accessible and also protected me as I routinely had to pick up my kids from school. I know tactically it wasn't as good as having it unconcealed on the dash but It was what I chose to do.
well: it sounds like you covered your ass very well as a Pre-non-permit holder OCer. I think i should follow your example as a non-permit holder OCer and do the same since i do not have CC yet.

xRapidDavex

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
This is what I do, but the case that I have has holes only big enough to get a trigger lock through it. It does the same thing and protects me from federal charges when going through school zones.

scorpioajr

imported post

Ya - after reading this post, i went and thew my OEM lock box that came with my gun, in my truck. I am VERY happy that i came accross this thread.

THIS is EXACTLY why this website is SO benificial. Thanks again.

(i know the stautes are there for me, but having this guy SPELL it out for me, told me exactly what to do.)

xRapidDavex

imported post

well when the "pressure isn't on", we can offer some good advice now and again.

scorpioajr

imported post

Cykaos wrote:
As long as the weapon is utah unloaded and in plain view you can drive with it without a CC permit. It doesn't have to be in a holster.

You however can't be in a school zone without the gun unloaded and locked (not in the glovebox). So if you are OCing in your car and you drive though a school zone without a CC permit you just committed a federal felony.
School Zones are Freakin' Everywhere! There are more school zones than there are OCers!!!!!! (probably not, but you get the point...)