• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stillwater Firearms meeting (noobie review)

jfrey123

imported post

Tonight was the local meeting for the Stillwaters Firearm Association, of which I attended my first meeting. This is the first gun organization I've ever joined, first meeting I've ever had, and I loved it. There's just something about being in a room full of people with like minded interests (especially our interests) that makes you feel good. The Churchill County sheriff was in attendance, speaking to the NCIS exemption expiring, plus a bit of incite into the NSPA workings.

I did feel a bit out of place, being from the 'big' Washoe county. I now realize that Stillwater is something special to the city of Fallon itself, but I'm still happy to be a card carrying member/donor to someone who is fighting for our gun rights.

I saw varminter22 and thought Larry does a great job running the meeting. He also appeared to have support of all in attendance. I'm sorry to say Larry, but from our correspondence, I didn't expect you to be among the older fellas in the room. I figured you a bit younger lol :D Next time I'll make sure to introduce myself, but you looked pretty busy tonight.

Anyway, the point of my writing tonight is that ALL of us should be active, somewhere and somehow. Even the great state of Nevada is not immune from poor legislation that infringes on our RKBA. I'm going to start trying to track a Reno group with similar goals and resources to Stillwater, but continue to remain active with Stillwater as well... The more the merrier.

Vegassteve

imported post

I am in Las Vegas and joined Stillwater last year. It was for selfish reasons. I needed to join a club so I could buy my wife a carbine from the CMP. NONE of the clubs here could get me in right away for whatever reason. The folks at Stillwater called me back while they were eating dinner and signed us right up. I will make sure to always keep my membership there. They were a great help and very kind.

varminter22

imported post

Wow, thanks, guys!

I sure wish I had met you last night. I'm usually pretty busy and hardly ever get out of there before 9:30 or 10:00 p.m, but always holler at me!

You picked a good meeting to attend. Our sheriff is a good guy.

And I hope you got a chance to meet/speak with our DA - another wonderful guy (and life member).

Last month we had our new chief of police attend and speak. He is new but seems like another good guy.

We're having a club dinner (and 13 gun firearm raffle) in July. Did you get a ticket? Hope so, because it sold out last night - one month early! Senator Bob Beers is coming up from Las Vegas to be our guest speaker.

Ha, yeah, I've passed the half century mark. Like a fine wine, eh?? I'm sure some would argue with that! Hee hee.

As you heard, we have some work to do in the November election and in the 2009 legislature. We're going to need everyone to send email, letters, etc. We CAN do it.

Did you notice any open carriers? I saw at least one. Sometimes I OC too. But out of the 70 members in attendance, it is hard to tell how many were CCW! He he. A wonderful thing, no doubt.

Larry

jfrey123

imported post

Did you notice any open carriers? I saw at least one. Sometimes I OC too. But out of the 70 members in attendance, it is hard to tell how many were CCW! He he. A wonderful thing, no doubt.

I noticed the one open carrier too. I thought about open carrying, but I wasn't sure if that would be frowned upon with a sheriff hosting a discussion. I'm still new to the idea, and usually restrict my open carry to the desert stuff. If it's not frowned upon inside the meetings, I'll likely be open carrying at the next one. I believe more of us need to do it occasionally to break the stigma that people have (even me, OC seems so taboo!)

Last night was the first night I've never felt out of place wearing my kahki vest, since so many others were also. I think it's safe to say that everyone wearing a vest (camo, kahki, whatever) was packing, and I also saw quite a few button down denim shirts worn open over a tee shirt. Usually that's another sign that we're in good company.

We're having a club dinner (and 13 gun firearm raffle) in July. Did you get a ticket?
I heard it sold out, but I would've been there. Can't believe it sold out so quick, but 13 firearms is quite an impressive raffle. I'll be buying the first ticket at the next dinner lol.