• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General Gun Questions

computerizedfish

imported post

So, I have been asorbing as much information as possible from this site and trying to learn all the laws and training bullitens and case law and .... there is allota stuff to learn. But, it seems that being prepared is way better than not being prepared.

Now, onto my questions.

1. Can you apply for the CWL before you buy a gun?

2. I have been around guns for as long as I can remember, but I have only shot one type of handgun, a glock (standard size in 9mm, .40, .45). Well, I have used a .44Mag on hard drives that have gone bad =]. Anyways, since I have been thinking about concealing I have been looking at sub-compact gun. The problem is that I would like to handle the guns and if possible demo some of them before I make a purchase. I have tried to contact Sharp Shooters in Spokane and The Place to Shoot in Portland about renting a gun/s but no one has emailed me back. Does anyone know of a place that could help me out in demoing different guns? I live in the Pullman, WA region. I will also be spending 4 days in the Vancouver/Portland region at the end of the month.

3. I shot tons of bullets, but I have never been properly taught the ins and outs of how to use a handgun (I learned how to hold a handgun and proper safety form a friend in the secret service, but he moved away). Where would you suggest I go to get some training?

4. How do you guys carry when concealed? Where on the body, what kind of holster, etc.

Thanks for any information, you have all been a great help in my research.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome!

As far as getting a carry permit unlike other less civilized states there is no requirement to permit a particular weapon to carry in Washington. A CPL is good for whatever handgun you want to carry.

Someone on your side of the hills can better recomend training facilities and where to shoot, etc... in your area.

As far as holsters go, you will get a million responses. I lean towards simple holsters with a snap or thumbreak for OC and CC, and for an autoloader, sometimes a very minimal belt holster that holds the gun quite snugly. You'll get other opinions. Reality is somewhere between a minimal holster and a super duper whiz bang 27 point uber retention system that is the current fashion amongst people who do not wrestle with bad guys for a living.

Let us know what kind of gun you settle on! I carry a .357 revolver or a 1911.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
So, I have been asorbing as much information as possible from this site and trying to learn all the laws and training bullitens and case law and .... there is allota stuff to learn. But, it seems that being prepared is way better than not being prepared.

Now, onto my questions.

1. Can you apply for the CWL before you buy a gun?

2. I have been around guns for as long as I can remember, but I have only shot one type of handgun, a glock (standard size in 9mm, .40, .45). Well, I have used a .44Mag on hard drives that have gone bad =]. Anyways, since I have been thinking about concealing I have been looking at sub-compact gun. The problem is that I would like to handle the guns and if possible demo some of them before I make a purchase. I have tried to contact Sharp Shooters in Spokane and The Place to Shoot in Portland about renting a gun/s but no one has emailed me back. Does anyone know of a place that could help me out in demoing different guns? I live in the Pullman, WA region. I will also be spending 4 days in the Vancouver/Portland region at the end of the month.

3. I shot tons of bullets, but I have never been properly taught the ins and outs of how to use a handgun (I learned how to hold a handgun and proper safety form a friend in the secret service, but he moved away). Where would you suggest I go to get some training?

4. How do you guys carry when concealed? Where on the body, what kind of holster, etc.

Thanks for any information, you have all been a great help in my research.
1) You can apply for a license before purchasing a pistol. There's no registration of pistols on the license. If you want to get a Oregon Non-Resident License, since you're in Pullman your best bet is the Umatilla County Sheriff's office in Pendleton.

2) I prefer the Springfield XD subcompacts, but you gotta make you own choice. Actually call those ranges, don't rely on email.

3) Firearms Academy of Seattle in Onalaska is probably your best place to train in Washington. There's also Oregon Firearms Academy in Albany.

4) I've heard good things about the "SmartCarry" holster for concealment.

Agent 47

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome!

As far as getting a carry permit unlike other less civilized states there is no requirement to permit a particular weapon to carry in Washington. A CPL is good for whatever handgun you want to carry.
Or as many handguns as you want to carry. Yeeeeeeeeeehaw!!

gsx1138

imported post

I also prefer the Springfield XD but the Glock is a good pistol. Good luck with learning what's on here. I recently joined as well and am totally overwhelmed. Every once and awhile I OC but am not nearly as prepared as most of the guys on here.

dlnwoody

imported post

+11111 on the XD. I just bought a second XD. I have a .40 subcompact and a 9mm service. Both are very nice guns. I have shot the glocks and they are nice as well. The thing I like about the XD's is the grip safety.

computerizedfish

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
+11111 on the XD. I just bought a second XD. I have a .40 subcompact and a 9mm service. Both are very nice guns. I have shot the glocks and they are nice as well. The thing I like about the XD's is the grip safety.
Me too, the safety is nice. My wife is not to fond of the glocks because they dont have a standard safety.

I went and filled out my paperwork for the CWL today, but I have to wait till tuesday to get fingerprinted =[

PoppaGary

imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
I have tried to contact Sharp Shooters in Spokane and The Place to Shoot in Portland about renting a gun/s but no one has emailed me back. Does anyone know of a place that could help me out in demoing different guns? I live in the Pullman, WA region. I will also be spending 4 days in the Vancouver/Portland region at the end of the month.

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself.

You need a "membership"at The Place to Shoot, which I do, and would be happy to see if we could meet up and take you there as my guest. According to the web site, guests fees are $10, otherwise it is $35 per person per visit...includes one rental gun. They have a few gotcha's...need a "buddy" to rent guns and have to use their ammo and targets.

I'm also a member of Clark Rifles and we can go there as well, it is up in the hills a bit.

Send me a PM and we will see what we can work out.
Gary