• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing with my son problem

Bullbuster

imported post

I've been OCing for a couple months now and I get aggravated from time to time when I have my 4 year old son with me. Bless his little gun loving hart but he feels its his place to inform everyone that daddy has a gun. Each and every time I kneel down and look him in the eye and in a stiff voice tell him "its nobody's business that daddy has a gun and that you need to stop telling everyone". Being 4 years old and his hard core enthusiasm, like me, for hunting and guns he just won't quit.

Do any of you have or have had the same problem with one of your kids? If you have howdid you deal with it? It sucks to say but at times I wish I wasn't OC and CC instead but can't given the place we may be in at the time.

DocV

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
...but at times I wish I wasn't OC and CC instead but can't given the place we may be in at the time.

Ya gotta stop taking him to bars and taverns!;)

Four year olds are great at embarrassing Mom and Dad. Impulse control is almost non-existant at that age. It ttok until my three were around 6 before they stopped blabbing family secrets to everyone they met.

All it takes is time...

DocV

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Duct tape.:lol:

NOT.....convince him it's his job tosee if people notice and for him to keep it secret.
Great idea!

Both of them .... :p

The making it his job to be quiet and see if people notice really is a wonderful idea.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I love OCing with my son. The looks from soccer moms when they see a 2 month old in my arms and a gun on my hip are priceless.

Hopefully you work something out with your 4 year old. If you do be sure to report back as I'd like to be prepared when the time comes.

MontanaCZ

imported post

My kids are just used to it as they grew up with it. We have instilled, at home, that if we are out and about the fact that we have a weapon is not for general consumption. I have not had a problem with it yet, from the time they were born, as they see me/mom with firearms, and wearing pistols, every day, all day. They just assume that everyone else has one.. :)

My younger was funny the other day. When I do go into the city, I usually just conceal, but I OC the rest of the time. Well this day was darn hot (about 60), and so I just stayed on OC as we went about where we go. We get to Wal-Mart, and my son finally notices that my pistol is OC.. He pulls me aside, and politely tells me that I am OC in the store.. I tell him it is ok, and legal, to OC there, but they may ask me to leave. He is 'ok', and off we go. He is now 6.

-CZ

Evil Ernie

imported post

Great stuff!! My 16 yr old (NJ native) knows the law in CO, but still freaks out a bit when we go to the bank, store, etc...
We went to see Joe Satriani at Guitar Center in Englewood a couple months ago and we had a good sized hole in the crowd. I think the hardcore headbangers were afraid that it was gonna jump out and bite them...LOL
The 2 yr old is gonna be a loudmouth tho...I can see it coming.

Bullbuster

imported post

I was talking with my wife tonight about this and how we could try and better make him understand his actions and words. We called a few friends and my brother who are elementary school teachers for advice. So we'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

I have had him strap on his Colt .45 cap gun in his holster and carry with me a couple times even to an OC dinner function. But he insisted on showing it off so I had to nip that one in the rear. I guess only time will tell but the I may have to break out the big guns and tell him no more fish trips with dad if he keeps it up.That may do it. He pitches the biggest fits when we go and its time to come home.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'll go with the earlier suggestion that you divert his enthusiasm into another channel. Controlling by "stopping" has a limited usefulness.

I like the idea of making a game to see who notices while keeping it secret. Keeping it secret is of course part of the game because if it wasn't kept secret then the people who notice aren't treated fairly by giving notice to those who otherwise wouldn't have scored.

But basically, any diversion would probably work. Maybe get him involved in a 4-year old level of Condition Yellow. "Son, see how many suspicious people you see." Cops-and-robbers kid-game suspicious, not life-and-death suspicious. Or, "Son, lets see how many people are not watching what is going on around them."

Or maybe just a patient talk some evening before bed.

unreconstructed1

imported post

smash29 wrote:
soloban wrote:
MontanaCZ wrote:
[snip]...this day was darn hot (about 60)....

-CZ
:shock: 60 = Hot???
60 = still Winter to many where I live.

wow...

I grew up in georgia, where mid to upper 90's are the norm from May to September...

one of the jobs I worked at dealt with a dozen machines that utilized about 2 dozen burners ( each) that were designed pretty much like cutting torches. in some places, a handheld pyrometer would register about 160 degrees farenheight throughout a good portion of the summer..

wow...

as far as the OP goes, you really just need to sit him down and explain to him the importance of not letting everyone know about your sidearm...

the thing about 4 year olds and "games" is eventually they get tired of playing, and then they go back to their original behavior. If you will just sit down and relate to him the importance of it, then it should work out a little better.

does he have any toy pistols? if so, maybe you should allow him to "OC" them from time to time if he is good about not telling everyone. when he begins to start talking, take his guns away from him for a little while, and let him know that if he told the wrong people "they may try to take daddy's guns, too" I know it may sound a little overly simplistic, but it may just work.

Bullbuster

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
smash29 wrote:
soloban wrote:
MontanaCZ wrote:
[snip]...this day was darn hot (about 60)....

-CZ
:shock: 60 = Hot???
60 = still Winter to many where I live.

wow...

I grew up in georgia, where mid to upper 90's are the norm from May to September...

one of the jobs I worked at dealt with a dozen machines that utilized about 2 dozen burners ( each) that were designed pretty much like cutting torches. in some places, a handheld pyrometer would register about 160 degrees farenheight throughout a good portion of the summer..

wow...

as far as the OP goes, you really just need to sit him down and explain to him the importance of not letting everyone know about your sidearm...

the thing about 4 year olds and "games" is eventually they get tired of playing, and then they go back to their original behavior. If you will just sit down and relate to him the importance of it, then it should work out a little better.

does he have any toy pistols? if so, maybe you should allow him to "OC" them from time to time if he is good about not telling everyone. when he begins to start talking, take his guns away from him for a little while, and let him know that if he told the wrong people "they may try to take daddy's guns, too" I know it may sound a little overly simplistic, but it may just work.
Bullbuster wrote:
I have had him strap on his Colt .45 cap gun in his holster and carry with me a couple times even to an OC dinner function. But he insisted on showing it off so I had to nip that one in the rear. I guess only time will tell but the I may have to break out the big guns and tell him no more fish trips with dad if he keeps it up.That may do it. He pitches the biggest fits when we go and its time to come home.

MontanaCZ

imported post

My apologies to Bullster, as I did not 'think' about my temperature comment and it hijacking the thread.. If you want to talk about it, please PM me. I will be happy to discuss it up here, and you heathen heat down there.. :)

...back on topic...

The only thing that I can think of that would be different in what we did, besides personality, is just saturation. To my kids, it is not a big thing (they do love to shoot). They expect it. If they get in an uncomfortable situation, they discreetly ask if we are still carrying..

I believe for that age, distractions and games work pretty good (not that mine are much older). I just have other problmes with my kids... :)

-CZ

Bullbuster

imported post

MontanaCZ wrote:
My apologies to Bullster, as I did not 'think' about my temperature comment and it hijacking the thread.. If you want to talk about it, please PM me. I will be happy to discuss it up here, and you heathen heat down there.. :)

...back on topic...

-CZ
No worries man. Its hard to not toss out .02 worth of off topic stuff. I do it all the time. BTW love the pic of the kids in the cowboy hats.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My "kid" is a 21-year-old mentally retarded man, who just thinks it's neat to go to "gun meetings" and "gun dinners". He's pretty used to us carrying, now, since it's been several years.

If someone else has a firearm, or a holster, like one of ours, though, he'll proclaim loudly "he have one like you" - which can be disconcerting, to say the least.

If I'm concealing, and he sees someone open carrying - "Mommy, where your gun?". (And I don't think he knows how to speak quietly, despite what his teachers tell me.)

They get used to it. You get used to it. You've had some good suggestions here; let's hope some pan out. And be grateful they'll grow out of it <grin>.

rmodel65

imported post

I dont have any kids, but the other day i out was eating Chinese food, well the lady that runs the store has a 1 1/2 yr old. he decides to run over to me and proceeds to try take my gun(i have a serpa) so he didnt get it out. the grandmother comes over and takes him back to where she is sitting, again he runs over and does the same thing. It was a little weird imo.

but the gun thought of the kids and stayed securely fastened

Bullbuster

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
I dont have any kids, but the other day i out was eating Chinese food, well the lady that runs the store has a 1 1/2 yr old. he decides to run over to me and proceeds to try take my gun(i have a serpa) so he didnt get it out. the grandmother comes over and takes him back to where she is sitting, again he runs over and does the same thing. It was a little weird imo.

but the gun thought of the kids and stayed securely fastened
I'da had a little talk to the boy about not touching others toys.