• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs Sheriff-huzzah!

bzeller

imported post

Excerpts from The Gazette, Colorado Springs, Colorado Thursday, June 12, 2008 editorial:
Our View – Thursday
BENEFITS OF HIGH-COST FUEL
Through hardship emerges strength
"...And soon, we'll likely see a new self-reliance for personal safety and security. It will be a positive move away from the dangerous 911 mentality that has infected our culture for the past three decades with a false notion that police can get there in time to stop crime. Typically, they can't. They can't be everywhere at once. Victims, not cops, are best situated to fight crime.
Fuel Prices have become so oppressive that Sheriff Terry Maketa has no option but to park his patrol cars. ...

...The stationary patrol cars will run only when called to emergencies,...
...The idle patrol cars mean county residents need to take more personal responsibility to protect themselves, their children and their properties - a better system of genuine public safety. This may come in the form of dogs, fences, alarms, better locks and doors, weapons training, neighborhood watch organizations, family curfews and a variety of other lawful options for personal protection. Maketa has long advocated that citizens obtain concealed weapons permits, explaining that police can't be everywhere. ..."

I have applied for my permit. I understand that after you get your permit Sheriff Maketa sends you a letter of congratulations! Gotta' love living here.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bzeller wrote:
Excerpts from The Gazette, Colorado Springs, Colorado Thursday, June 12, 2008 editorial:
Our View – Thursday
"...And soon, we'll likely see a new self-reliance for personal safety and security. It will be a positive move away from the dangerous 911 mentality that has infected our culture for the past three decades with a false notion that police can get there in time to stop crime. Typically, they can't. They can't be everywhere at once. Victims, not cops, are best situated to fight crime.
Fuel Prices have become so oppressive that Sheriff Terry Maketa has no option but to park his patrol cars. ...

...The idle patrol cars mean county residents need to take more personal responsibility to protect themselves, their children and their properties - a better system of genuine public safety. This may come in the form of dogs, fences, alarms, better locks and doors, weapons training, neighborhood watch organizations, family curfews and a variety of other lawful options for personal protection. Maketa has long advocated that citizens obtain concealed weapons permits, explaining that police can't be everywhere. ..."

I have applied for my permit. I understand that after you get your permit Sheriff Maketa sends you a letter of congratulations! Gotta' love living here.
The right guy for the job definitely got elected/appointed (not sure which it is in Colo.; here in Texas all sheriffs, police chiefs, and constables are elected).

bzeller

imported post

Sheriffs are elected here in Colorado. I was born/raised in Texas. Gig 'em! TAMU '79.

Gunslinger

imported post

bzeller wrote:
Our View – Thursday

Absolutely correct. They are running a bit behind in CCWs, but are the nicest, friendliest people I've ever dealt with in getting one. If Terry runs for other office, he'll have my vote.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I spent my driving time looking for cops in Castle Rock this weekend. Last cop I saw was Friday afternoon busy with a "customer", but haven't seen hide nor hair for the rest of the weekend. Strangely enough, I found it rather disconcerting. Definitely keeping my personal defense tools in Condition one now. Not getting paranoid, but with the lack of patrols, the crazies tend to come out more often. Even the local kids are in our park after curfew this weekend, they know somethings up.

AnaxImperator

imported post

These stats from the Colorado Springs PD website aren't very heartening.... and with the massive influx of 4th ID soldiers & family, crime-rates are bound to go up. As the military population goes up, so will the number of individuals & businesses who prey upon unsuspecting, unaware, and reckless soldiers.

BTW, it's advisable to learn the PD's shift-change hours, especially when heading out for a late-night Krispy Kreme or taco.... you'd better bet the serious BGs know shift-change times as well.

ResponseTime06.jpg

1stUnit8MinuteStandardResponse06.jpg

RobberyClearance06.jpg

Robbery06.jpg

Colorado Springs 2007 Statistical Report

Evil Ernie

imported post

Oh not good. Those numbers are going to get a lot worse before they get better, especially the robberies. As more and more people lose their jobs, homes, and gas keeps rising, you're bound to see more and more law abiding folks already on the fringe get desperate and consider robbing to feed their kids and keep the lights on. Finally saw three cops today in C Rock. First I've seen all weekend. I'm gonna email Sheriff Weaver and Chief Lane for a quick status report. I'm wondering if we in Douglas Co are experiencing the same budget issues that El Paso is.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Oh not good. Those numbers are going to get a lot worse before they get better, especially the robberies. As more and more people lose their jobs, homes, and gas keeps rising, you're bound to see more and more law abiding folks already on the fringe get desperate and consider robbing to feed their kids and keep the lights on.

Actually, I don't think the robberies will be perpetrated to feed families & pay bills.... As poverty grows, so will the number of citizens seeking escape & turning to drugs.... and becoming addicts. Robberies, burglaries/home-invasions, &car-jackings will rise as the increased numer of addicts start looking to fund their next high. I betcha the divorce-rate will increase prior-to, and then concurrentlywiththe number of property-crimes. :?

As for me, a very high-quality fire/gun-safe is on my list of immediate purchases. Not only do I have my treasured collection to keep out of criminal hands; my Wife has her indispensible photography gear & heirloom valuables to keep safe, and we both have sensitive documents that if lost, would be very bad news. I've been watching the safes at places like Specialty Sports & Sportsmans Warehouse, and there's been a couple really nice, big ones on-sale for fairly deep discounts.

One is the Browning "Theftgard" Safe for $939 MRSP. A Liberty Safe "Centurion" - MSRP $801 - would be a good choice as well. But my "dream safe" are those from Fort Knox, playing around with their "Safe Builder" is actually kinda entertaining! :)