Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: GRTC -- Gunman on the bus.. mentioned to be LEGAL in RTD writeup..

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    205

    Post imported post

    What would have happened if the 911 operator had some common sense? I'm sure this wouldn't have occured if it was a WMWAG.


    http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.a...6-12-0201.html

    Gunman reported on GRTC bus

    Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 - 10:55 AM

    Richmond police scrambled in several parts of the city this morning after receiving reports of a man with a gun on a GRTC Transit System bus.

    Ultimately, police found the man in question on East Broad Street and discovered that he was carrying a handgun legally. But that came after 15 minutes of anxious moments for police trying to determine which bus it was, where it was and whether there was actually a gunman aboard.

    The original report came about 10:20 a.m. and indicated a man was sitting at the back of a bus with a handgun protruding from his shorts. There was no indication the man was saying anything to anyone or acting in a threatening manner.

    The initial report said the gunman may have been on bus No. 810 at North 21st Street and Jefferson Avenue in the East End.

    But a few minutes later, police said it may have been bus No. 608. Then, someone flagged down an officer and said it was actually a gunman on bus No. 233 headed west on Broad Street to downtown Richmond from the East End.

    But GRTC officials told police the closest bus they had matching any of those numbers was bus No. 223.

    By the time police found the bus and determined it was the one whose route had taken it to 21st and Jefferson, the suspected gunman was no longer on the bus.

    The suspected gunman was described as a black male wearing a white T-shirt, black shorts and blue and white tennis shoes. A few minutes later, police stopped a man matching that description on Broad Street downtown and said he was carrying a gun in a legal manner.

    It's legal to openly carry a firearm in Virginia.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    psmartin wrote:
    What would have happened if the 911 operator had some common sense? I'm sure this wouldn't have occured if it was a WMWAG.


    http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.a...6-12-0201.html

    Gunman reported on GRTC bus

    Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 - 10:55 AM

    Richmond police scrambled in several parts of the city this morning after receiving reports of a man with a gun on a GRTC Transit System bus.

    Ultimately, police found the man in question on East Broad Street and discovered that he was carrying a handgun legally. But that came after 15 minutes of anxious moments for police trying to determine which bus it was, where it was and whether there was actually a gunman aboard.

    The original report came about 10:20 a.m. and indicated a man was sitting at the back of a bus with a handgun protruding from his shorts. There was no indication the man was saying anything to anyone or acting in a threatening manner.

    The initial report said the gunman may have been on bus No. 810 at North 21st Street and Jefferson Avenue in the East End.

    But a few minutes later, police said it may have been bus No. 608. Then, someone flagged down an officer and said it was actually a gunman on bus No. 233 headed west on Broad Street to downtown Richmond from the East End.

    But GRTC officials told police the closest bus they had matching any of those numbers was bus No. 223.

    By the time police found the bus and determined it was the one whose route had taken it to 21st and Jefferson, the suspected gunman was no longer on the bus.

    The suspected gunman was described as a black male wearing a white T-shirt, black shorts and blue and white tennis shoes. A few minutes later, police stopped a man matching that description on Broad Street downtown and said he was carrying a gun in a legal manner.

    It's legal to openly carry a firearm in Virginia.
    Well it's possible that it wouldn't have happened if the LAC was white, however in light of nationality, I've had a gun pointed at me for standing near a bank, been arrested for refusing to ID when I was riding on a bus, and questioned numerous times by LEOs before.

    I believe that there are many variables that take part in determining if one should call the LEOs for "man with a gun". Location is key, however here in Hampton Roads, LEOs get the idea that open carry is legal and that we will not tolerate unlawful detainments. I've read that certain parts of Northern VA have an idea too, but the impact from Chet's case cannot be ignored.

    Also I believe that the nationality of the person calling a LEO plays more of a part than the LAC who is carrying. In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one. Strange, sad, and true. I believe that the perception of being black while carrying differs come being white (or any other nationality that I can see) due to the fact that people don't see black people carry as much as any other race. If anyone watches the news, I noticed that majority of shootings reported involved the shooter being black or unknown.

    Sorry for my rant, but it's just what I've experienced and what I have gathered from talking to random people.

    I'm glad that it became a non-issue and hope next time the dispatch service can realize that carrying in a legal matter is not worth the time (or GAS!!) to investigate.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one.

    Huh ??? Black personAGAINST a BMWAG ??? Why do you think this is Danbus ?

    I am just asking the question out curiosity and nothing else.

    I would think a Black person would NOT do that, but possibly a white person due to the "fear" factor that a white person for some reason has. T

    he Questions are just PURELY out of curiosity Danbus.

    TJ

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one.

    Huh ??? Black personAGAINST a BMWAG ??? Why do you think this is Danbus ?

    I am just asking the question out curiosity and nothing else.

    I would think a Black person would NOT do that, but possibly a white person due to the "fear" factor that a white person for some reason has. T

    he Questions are just PURELY out of curiosity Danbus.

    TJ
    That's cool.

    My friends have told me it's the negative conotation of crabs in a barrel. When one tries to escape, the others pull him down, thus never advancing.

    Random black people who I've talked to seem it to say that it's "hating".

    Hating defined here ---> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hating

    But regardless of the reason why, it doesn't deter me from OCing. In fact, it furthers my agenda of OCing. People will talk about how a guy OC'd and they called the cops and nothing happend. I get to exercise a right, carry legally in my preferred method, have easy access to my firearm should the need arise, and spread the good word of OCism.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    In my experience, ALL BUT one LEO encounter that I've hadthe caller was black. Strange, sad, and true.
    I think for most blacks they only see LEO or gangbagers with guns, so if you don't fit into the LEO type you must be a gangbanger.

    But it could bethe crab thing, I've seen that with other things.:X

    However, I believe most spree and serial killers are white.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    What if he was a dark skin black guy and his gun was black and he was not wearing a shirt.. then would the black on black be concealed? Maybe black guys should start carrying white guns. When i was in the Marines we were all the same color.. GREEN. (of course they referred to us as dark green and light green to still describe people)
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  7. #7
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Those without a CHP might get arrested for a CHP violation.:P
    Not all of us are in great physical shape (those days have come and gone).
    Working out daily to change that!
    Skipping OC dinners has helped.

    If we wore light colored guns someone might accuse us of flaunting.
    And, I have never seen someone that dark as to match the color of my Glock.

    Oh yeah, a gun in the white is usually unfinished.



    EDIT:
    spelling
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    I'm usually the type to scoff at perceieved racism around every corner, but it almost certainly plays a role when it comes to reporting someone carrying a gun. The News (especially in the DC Area) are constantly reporting gang shootings, and the movies don't help matters.

    The fact is, most of America has been conditioned that if a black man has a gun, he's either LEO or a gang member who accidentally shoots schoolchildren in drivebys.

    I was suprised to hear of blacks calling on you more than anyone else, at first reaction I'd have thought it would have been scared, middle-aged white people who haven't talked to a black person since they were last in downtown DC. But when thinking about it, black Americans are exposed to the same media as white Americans. I assume your average black person has been conditioned to have the LEO or thug mentality as well.

    It's really a shame.

    On the other hand, I did have a bit of chuckle at police scurrying about trying to find a crazed gunman who had been reported as carrying legally. "Which bus number!?" "806!? Or 608!?"

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    192

    Post imported post

    Got a mention on WRVA....so I bet it gets covered this afternoon with Jimmy Barrett.





  10. #10
    Regular Member vt357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    490

    Post imported post

    They just had a statement on the radio from a RPD Sergeant saying that they "checked him for warrants" then sent him on his way. I wonder what would have happened if he had refused?
    Side note: Another good reason for carrying a voice recorder. I lost mine... but I just ordered another one - should get it this afternoon.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    When is the next OC dinner in Richmond? I want to park and ride the GRTC to the meeting. Imagine if there were OC people on numerous buses at once all converging on a certain part of the city.

    I have to admit that this story brings back the memories of what happened to Danbus in Hampton.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hopewell, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    When is the next OC dinner in Richmond? I want to park and ride the GRTC to the meeting. Imagine if there were OC people on numerous buses at once all converging on a certain part of the city.

    I have to admit that this story brings back the memories of what happened to Danbus in Hampton.
    June 17th at 7:00PM Early meet-up 6:45PM in the parking lot.

    Pino’s Pizza Italian Family Rest. http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-c5_kjapg
    4112 Meadowdale Blvd.
    Richmond, VA 23234
    (804) 275-0568


    Bad news, it's not on GRTC'sroute. But you can still come and have dinner.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509

    Post imported post

    Anyone besides me have a problem with the news article continually describing the search for a "gunman"?

    No shots were fired. No gun was brandished. Describing him as a "gunman" is no more accurate than calling him a "fugitive" because police were looking for him (never mind that he wasn't hiding).


  14. #14
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    KBCraig wrote:
    Anyone besides me have a problem with the news article continually describing the search for a "gunman"?

    No shots were fired. No gun was brandished. Describing him as a "gunman" is no more accurate than calling him a "fugitive" because police were looking for him (never mind that he wasn't hiding).
    I'm surprised that they didnt call him the "would be criminal"
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    I thought the same thing. But if you think about it, most crime is black on black. So if black people are even more condition to think a black man with a gun is a criminal than a white person. Strange isn't it. Our perceptions are formed from the regular DC criminals culture which is black young men with a gun. That may change to mexican with a gun due to influx of illegals in the area and the clashes and gang culture.

    I admire Danbus for his courage and continuing to educate people that OC by a black man to contradict the image of a black man with a gun is a criminal. BUt no doubt he is hassled a lot more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •