• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRTC -- Gunman on the bus.. mentioned to be LEGAL in RTD writeup..

psmartin

imported post

What would have happened if the 911 operator had some common sense? I'm sure this wouldn't have occured if it was a WMWAG.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-06-12-0201.html

Gunman reported on GRTC bus

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Richmond police scrambled in several parts of the city this morning after receiving reports of a man with a gun on a GRTC Transit System bus.

Ultimately, police found the man in question on East Broad Street and discovered that he was carrying a handgun legally. But that came after 15 minutes of anxious moments for police trying to determine which bus it was, where it was and whether there was actually a gunman aboard.

The original report came about 10:20 a.m. and indicated a man was sitting at the back of a bus with a handgun protruding from his shorts. There was no indication the man was saying anything to anyone or acting in a threatening manner.

The initial report said the gunman may have been on bus No. 810 at North 21st Street and Jefferson Avenue in the East End.

But a few minutes later, police said it may have been bus No. 608. Then, someone flagged down an officer and said it was actually a gunman on bus No. 233 headed west on Broad Street to downtown Richmond from the East End.

But GRTC officials told police the closest bus they had matching any of those numbers was bus No. 223.

By the time police found the bus and determined it was the one whose route had taken it to 21st and Jefferson, the suspected gunman was no longer on the bus.

The suspected gunman was described as a black male wearing a white T-shirt, black shorts and blue and white tennis shoes. A few minutes later, police stopped a man matching that description on Broad Street downtown and said he was carrying a gun in a legal manner.

It's legal to openly carry a firearm in Virginia.

danbus

imported post

psmartin wrote:
What would have happened if the 911 operator had some common sense? I'm sure this wouldn't have occured if it was a WMWAG.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-06-12-0201.html

Gunman reported on GRTC bus

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Richmond police scrambled in several parts of the city this morning after receiving reports of a man with a gun on a GRTC Transit System bus.

Ultimately, police found the man in question on East Broad Street and discovered that he was carrying a handgun legally. But that came after 15 minutes of anxious moments for police trying to determine which bus it was, where it was and whether there was actually a gunman aboard.

The original report came about 10:20 a.m. and indicated a man was sitting at the back of a bus with a handgun protruding from his shorts. There was no indication the man was saying anything to anyone or acting in a threatening manner.

The initial report said the gunman may have been on bus No. 810 at North 21st Street and Jefferson Avenue in the East End.

But a few minutes later, police said it may have been bus No. 608. Then, someone flagged down an officer and said it was actually a gunman on bus No. 233 headed west on Broad Street to downtown Richmond from the East End.

But GRTC officials told police the closest bus they had matching any of those numbers was bus No. 223.

By the time police found the bus and determined it was the one whose route had taken it to 21st and Jefferson, the suspected gunman was no longer on the bus.

The suspected gunman was described as a black male wearing a white T-shirt, black shorts and blue and white tennis shoes. A few minutes later, police stopped a man matching that description on Broad Street downtown and said he was carrying a gun in a legal manner.

It's legal to openly carry a firearm in Virginia.
Well it's possible that it wouldn't have happened if the LAC was white, however in light of nationality, I've had a gun pointed at me for standing near a bank, been arrested for refusing to ID when I was riding on a bus, and questioned numerous times by LEOs before.

I believe that there are many variables that take part in determining if one should call the LEOs for "man with a gun". Location is key, however here in Hampton Roads, LEOs get the idea that open carry is legal and that we will not tolerate unlawful detainments. I've read that certain parts of Northern VA have an idea too, but the impact from Chet's case cannot be ignored.

Also I believe that the nationality of the person calling a LEO plays more of a part than the LAC who is carrying. In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one. Strange, sad, and true. I believe that the perception of being black while carrying differs come being white (or any other nationality that I can see) due to the fact that people don't see black people carry as much as any other race. If anyone watches the news, I noticed that majority of shootings reported involved the shooter being black or unknown.

Sorry for my rant, but it's just what I've experienced and what I have gathered from talking to random people.

I'm glad that it became a non-issue and hope next time the dispatch service can realize that carrying in a legal matter is not worth the time (or GAS!!) to investigate.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one.

Huh ??? Black personAGAINST a BMWAG ??? Why do you think this is Danbus ?

I am just asking the question out curiosity and nothing else.

I would think a Black person would NOT do that, but possibly a white person due to the "fear" factor that a white person for some reason has. T

he Questions are just PURELY out of curiosity Danbus.

TJ

danbus

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
In my experience, ALL LEO encounters that I've had have been because the caller was black. Yes, every single one.

Huh ??? Black personAGAINST a BMWAG ??? Why do you think this is Danbus ?

I am just asking the question out curiosity and nothing else.

I would think a Black person would NOT do that, but possibly a white person due to the "fear" factor that a white person for some reason has. T

he Questions are just PURELY out of curiosity Danbus.

TJ

That's cool.

My friends have told me it's the negative conotation of crabs in a barrel. When one tries to escape, the others pull him down, thus never advancing.

Random black people who I've talked to seem it to say that it's "hating".

Hating defined here ---> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hating

But regardless of the reason why, it doesn't deter me from OCing. In fact, it furthers my agenda of OCing. People will talk about how a guy OC'd and they called the cops and nothing happend. I get to exercise a right, carry legally in my preferred method, have easy access to my firearm should the need arise, and spread the good word of OCism.

Marco

imported post

In my experience, ALL BUT one LEO encounter that I've hadthe caller was black. Strange, sad, and true.
I think for most blacks they only see LEO or gangbagers with guns, so if you don't fit into the LEO type you must be a gangbanger.

But it could bethe crab thing, I've seen that with other things.:X

However, I believe most spree and serial killers are white.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

What if he was a dark skin black guy and his gun was black and he was not wearing a shirt.. then would the black on black be concealed? Maybe black guys should start carrying white guns. When i was in the Marines we were all the same color.. GREEN. (of course they referred to us as dark green and light green to still describe people)

Marco

imported post

Those without a CHP might get arrested for a CHP violation.:p
Not all of us are in great physical shape (those days have come and gone).:(
Working out daily to change that!
Skipping OC dinners has helped.:lol:

If we wore light colored guns someone might accuse us of flaunting.
And, I have never seen someone that dark as to match the color of my Glock.

Oh yeah, a gun in the white is usually unfinished.:lol:

EDIT:
spelling

G9M&P15

imported post

I'm usually the type to scoff at perceieved racism around every corner, but it almost certainly plays a role when it comes to reporting someone carrying a gun. The News (especially in the DC Area) are constantly reporting gang shootings, and the movies don't help matters.

The fact is, most of America has been conditioned that if a black man has a gun, he's either LEO or a gang member who accidentally shoots schoolchildren in drivebys.

I was suprised to hear of blacks calling on you more than anyone else, at first reaction I'd have thought it would have been scared, middle-aged white people who haven't talked to a black person since they were last in downtown DC. But when thinking about it, black Americans are exposed to the same media as white Americans. I assume your average black person has been conditioned to have the LEO or thug mentality as well.

It's really a shame.

On the other hand, I did have a bit of chuckle at police scurrying about trying to find a crazed gunman who had been reported as carrying legally. "Which bus number!?" "806!? Or 608!?"

vt357

imported post

They just had a statement on the radio from a RPD Sergeant saying that they "checked him for warrants" then sent him on his way. I wonder what would have happened if he had refused?
Side note: Another good reason for carrying a voice recorder. I lost mine... :cuss: but I just ordered another one - should get it this afternoon.

Thundar

imported post

When is the next OC dinner in Richmond? I want to park and ride the GRTC to the meeting. Imagine if there were OC people on numerous buses at once all converging on a certain part of the city.

I have to admit that this story brings back the memories of what happened to Danbus in Hampton.

SFDoc

imported post

Thundar wrote:
When is the next OC dinner in Richmond? I want to park and ride the GRTC to the meeting. Imagine if there were OC people on numerous buses at once all converging on a certain part of the city.

I have to admit that this story brings back the memories of what happened to Danbus in Hampton.

June 17th at 7:00PM Early meet-up 6:45PM in the parking lot.

Pino’s Pizza Italian Family Rest. http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-c5_kjapg
4112 Meadowdale Blvd.
Richmond, VA 23234
(804) 275-0568

Bad news, it's not on GRTC'sroute. But you can still come and have dinner.

KBCraig

imported post

Anyone besides me have a problem with the news article continually describing the search for a "gunman"?

No shots were fired. No gun was brandished. Describing him as a "gunman" is no more accurate than calling him a "fugitive" because police were looking for him (never mind that he wasn't hiding).

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Anyone besides me have a problem with the news article continually describing the search for a "gunman"?

No shots were fired. No gun was brandished. Describing him as a "gunman" is no more accurate than calling him a "fugitive" because police were looking for him (never mind that he wasn't hiding).
I'm surprised that they didnt call him the "would be criminal"

rimfire

imported post

I thought the same thing. But if you think about it, most crime is black on black. So if black people are even more condition to think a black man with a gun is a criminal than a white person. Strange isn't it. Our perceptions are formed from the regular DC criminals culture which is black young men with a gun. That may change to mexican with a gun due to influx of illegals in the area and the clashes and gang culture.

I admire Danbus for his courage and continuing to educate people that OC by a black man to contradict the image of a black man with a gun is a criminal. BUt no doubt he is hassled a lot more.