• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is your carry gun drop safe?

Michigander

imported post

Rather than just discuss my negligent CZ52 drop kaboom with the subsequent hole in my leg in my other thread, I think we should all discuss our carry guns and if they are safe to carry with one in the pipe. If nothing else, I would like my injury to get us all thinking about how we carry and if it is safe.

So what do you carry, do you carry one in the chamber, and will it be safe if it falls on the ground? Please explain.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Rather than just discuss my negligent CZ52 drop kaboom with the subsequent hole in my leg in my other thread, I think we should all discuss our carry guns and if they are safe to carry with one in the pipe. If nothing else, I would like my injury to get us all thinking about how we carry and if it is safe.

So what do you carry, do you carry one in the chamber, and will it be safe if it falls on the ground? Please explain.:)

I carry a Glock 19 loaded and cocked in a Safariland ALS Holster.

Its like this but belt mounted and without the hood guard: http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6304

And Yes, Glocks are drop safe.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_safety.htm

Evil Ernie

imported post

PT1911 in a Serpa CQC. When I'm at home, Condition 3, out and about Condition 1.
I've learned to trust the 1911 in Condition 1. I spent a week carrying it with a full mag, but empty chamber set up in Cond 1 just to see if any of my movement/flab would take the extended ambidextrous safety would be moved. Everything stayed right where it was supposed to. I wasn't so concerned about the trigger as the Serpa has a great trigger guard.
Also, where I'm going and at what time dictates the condition. If I'm picking up my oldest son from work at 11PM, or my 2 yr old from daycare then totally Condition 1. Store trips during the day are Condition 3.
Yeah, I know, I change it up quite a bit, but I feel that it keeps me more aware of my sidearm and my surroundings.

Legba

imported post

I do carry with one "in the pipe" and I have dropped at least one piece in that condition and I was OK. My pieces all have some kind of safety, of course, but they also mostly just have inertial firing pins, so this situation could come up yet. If I were to drop one from some critical height, it would presumably go off.

I do now take the precaution of putting my gun on the toilet when I relieve myself.

-ljp

swillden

imported post

I carry a Springfield XD, in a Serpa holster. I occasionally use the belt loop attachment, but after hearing your story I'm going to stick with the paddle, which won't let it fall off my belt. Of course if my pants fell to the ground the gun might get smacked.

Of course the XD is a modern design that should be completely drop-safe, but your CZ-52 was also supposed to be drop safe. The XD has been tested very thoroughly, but I suppose it's always possible (if unlikely) my gun is defective. I wish I knew a good way to test that without repeatedly dropping the gun on a hard surface (loaded with snap caps) and maybe messing up the finish.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I primarily carry an XD45 or a Sig P228. Both models have been extensively drop tested by gov't units and private parties. The XD has 2 safeties that would have to fail for it to go off in a drop situation. I'm going to be sending the Sig to the factory for the "tune up" and inspection so I'll make sure the drop safety is inspected in that process as well.

Michigander

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety. There is no objective 'drop safe' criterium.

I don't think it's an unfair thing to ask that a firearm be over built to try and stop it from ever discharging unless the trigger is pulled. Granted a safety is a mechanical device that can fail at any time. This is gospel that I was taught by Scouts before I knew much of anything about weapons. But you should still do all that you can to add safety features to a gun.

Perhaps by some fluke at the range or on a hunt, and definitely in a fight, a lot of things could happen to make a weapon fall on the ground. I think it's important to always keep that in mind.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I feel pretty confident in my Glocks safety, and I carry in condition 1. FWIW mine was 'tested' on only 1 occasion. Nothing louder than a pistol hitting bathroom tile, but it didn't go bang.

imperialism2024

imported post

My Ruger Redhawk is drop-safe, transfer bar and all, at least to the best of my knowledge. Never tested it, though, as I don't want to ruin the finish on it... :?

And I carry with 6 in the chamber. :)

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
Of course the XD is a modern design that should be completely drop-safe, but your CZ-52 was also supposed to be drop safe. The XD has been tested very thoroughly, but I suppose it's always possible (if unlikely) my gun is defective.
I'd like to think that the XD is "drop-proof" between the backstrap/grip safety where the slide doesn't move and the trigger won't engage; and the trigger safety where the trigger won't engage unless the center portion is depressed.

I think it may be a good idea to periodically test these safeties -- engage the grip safety and try to move the trigger... release that and attempt to move the slide and actuate the side of the trigger without moving the center safety piece.

I'm very comfortable with the drop-iness of my XD.

Sheriff

imported post

Safest rule of thumb IMHO..... I think any person carrying any type of firearm in any manner

shouldassume that it will discharge if dropped, kicked, thrown, or played with roughly.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Safest rule of thumb IMHO..... I think any person carrying any type of firearm in any manner

shouldassume that it will discharge if dropped, kicked, thrown, or played with roughly.
I might disagree on the grounds that might encourage someone to grab for a falling pistol.

Which is the lesser evil? :) I'd personally NEVER try to grab a falling firearm. I'll take my chances with it hitting the ground. Sure, it's easy to say "If you're safe, you'll treat everything like it's the worst case scenario," but at some point you need to statistically decide what's going to be the better choice.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

To show my wife how safe firearms have become, just after cleaning my Ruger P345I ensured it was clear and showed her...empty/no mag,hammer back, safety off and I proceeded to drop it numerous times on the hammer and even toss it across the living room (carpeted floor).

The hammer never fell.

I KNOW it won't fire if dropped, but I always treat it as though it will.

Normal carry for me is chambered, safety off, hammer down, first round DA.