• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Sports Northwest is anti-OC

rbarrans

imported post

I was excited when I heard that Discount Guns was partnering with a new shooting range near my house in Bothell. Then I went to their website and was checking out the FAQ located here: http://www.shootingsportsnorthwest.com/?q=node/11 and saw this:
Q: Can I bring my guns into the facility in any manner I wish?

A: No —any holstered gun must remain holstered until you are in the shooting lane. We do require that handguns are transported in and out of our facility in a “concealed manner” as per the request of the regulatory powers.
I wonder what "regulatory powers" made this request and why they would go along with it. I suggest we send them e-mail at mail@shootingsportsnorthwest.com to let them know how we feel about a gun range banning open carry. They are scheduled to open in early July so maybe we can get them to change their policy before then.

David.Car

imported post

Members only... Cheapest membership is $50 and you still have to pay fees every time you visit...

2 day pass for non members = $100.00 + fees still

Sounds like a nice facility, but only if you are right there and go for the more expensive membership... Which involves being able to go shooting more thanI would be able to do :)

Nice looking setup though.

just_a_car

imported post

I gave them a call and a guy at the shop answered (as the range calls are being directed there until it's operational). I asked him about the FAQ wording and it's worse than it sounds.

He stated that no LOADED firearms whether concealed or open are allowed to be carried into the range, whether holstered or not. He mentioned their concern about people removing handguns from holsters while not on the firing line and having ND's. I mentioned to him about how it would solve the issue if they required that any holstered firearms may only be removed while ON the firing line, whether loaded or not. That way, there's no chance of ND off the line and patrons can carry as they choose.

I asked if I could leave my contact info with him for the manager, but he said the best bet is to send an email to them via the address on their site. I'll do that when I get home from hanging with a friend of mine. I'm thinking that I can easily get this changed around with some coherent, logical and polite correspondence.

As I'm off school for a week, I'll take this on as a project. In other words, please don't bombard them with emails or phonecalls. If I need a "show of force" to get it changed, I'll post as much here.

rbarrans

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As I'm off school for a week, I'll take this on as a project. In other words, please don't bombard them with emails or phonecalls. If I need a "show of force" to get it changed, I'll post as much here.

Thanks for taking this on. I was just about to send them an email but I'll wait to see how they respond to you. I'm fairly new to this forum so I'll leave it to someone more experienced in dealing with this kind of thing, although I'd be more than happy to contact them too if you think that would help.

rbarrans

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
rbarrans: Are you aware of the Kenmore range? http://www.wcwinc.org/
I've heard of the Kenmore range but haven't had a chance to get over there. It looks like a nice place but their public hours for the pistol shooting are really limited (sat/sun noon-5). I'm going to check it out and think about getting a membership.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I heard from Robin at Sharp Shooters that the Spokane Rifle Club also doesn't allow OC or CC! Can you imagine that? I'll be contacting them tomorrow. This is pathetic and ridiculous. "You can practice, but don't dare carry a weapon for self defense!" seems to be the theme.

http://www.spokanerifleclub.com/safety.asp

SPOKANE RIFLE CLUB INC.

Range Procedures and Rules - Saftey Card

1. All actions on firearms are to be open and firearms unloaded except during actual firing procedure.
New thread started at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/11928.html

Bear 45/70

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I heard from Robin at Sharp Shooters that the Spokane Rifle Club also doesn't allow OC or CC! Can you imagine that? I'll be contacting them tomorrow. This is pathetic and ridiculous. "You can practice, but don't dare carry a weapon for self defense!" seems to be the theme.

http://www.spokanerifleclub.com/safety.asp

SPOKANE RIFLE CLUB INC.

Range Procedures and Rules - Saftey Card

1. All actions on firearms are to be open and firearms unloaded except during actual firing procedure.

The do gooder will alway violate your rights in the name of safety. Just look at the cops, their favorite saying to cover violating your rights is "For officer safety."

Bear 45/70

imported post

vote_no wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Looks like they are more than anti OC but also anti CC. Which where I come from makes them anti gun.
Yes, firearm shooting ranges are often anti-firearms.
"In the name of safety." Just like the Liberal's favorite words "If it saves one child, isn't it worth it?" regardless if it violates the Constitution.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vote_no wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Looks like they are more than anti OC but also anti CC. Which where I come from makes them anti gun.
Yes, firearm shooting ranges are often anti-firearms.
Not anti-firearm, but anti-self defense! The RKBA is NOT about target shooting or hunting. Whilethose are a part of it, they areincidental to the primary purpose (the God given parts) of defense of life of both self andothers.

just_a_car

imported post

rbarrans wrote:
just_a_car wrote:

Thanks for taking this on. I was just about to send them an email but I'll wait to see how they respond to you. I'm fairly new to this forum so I'll leave it to someone more experienced in dealing with this kind of thing, although I'd be more than happy to contact them too if you think that would help.
I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Hopefully we can get the policy changed before the range even opens.

As for Kenmore I will NEVER support them with my money. The simple reason is they have a 1-round in the firearm rule for rifles. Even if you have an integral box magazine or a clip-fed weapon like a Garand; 1 round only. You must get permission for a "magazine function test" to have more than one round in the firearm at any one time. I will never support a business that has draconian restrictions like that.

Holo

imported post

Took my wife there about a month back to test-fire our new Ruger and the rangemaster told me it was a 5 round limit.

Of course, we were using the 30 round bright orange clip of .22's :lol:

Still annoying that I can't even fully fill the clip that Ruger gives me when I'm manually sighting my new rifle/scope.

John Hardin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As for Kenmore I will NEVER support them with my money. The simple reason is they have a 1-round in the firearm rule for rifles. Even if you have an integral box magazine or a clip-fed weapon like a Garand; 1 round only. You must get permission for a "magazine function test" to have more than one round in the firearm at any one time. I will never support a business that has draconian restrictions like that.
To be fair, they are smack in the middle of a developed area and do have safety and liability concerns. There have been efforts to close them down in the past (they were one of the possible sites for the sewage plant) and having to deal with neighbors complaining (however unjustly) about "automatic weapons fire" is a risk they don't wish to take.

I agree that the restriction is annoying. I'd like to do more defensive-oriented pistol drills than slow fire at a 25-yd bullseye, for example. I'd like to be able to fire a full magazine offhand from my rifle.

Let's find someplace else to shoot in rural south snohomish county where there are no such restrictions - does anybody have a big gravel pit they aren't using?

knight_308

imported post

Hi Folks,

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a few months, finally decided to reguister.

Renton Gun Club is the same way, and you have to shoot (rifle) from a bench. No other positions :(. I'm originally from PA and I have to say that the shooting opportunities out here are downright awful.

compmanio365

imported post

I have gotten to the point where I refuse to pay to go shooting.....any and all of the ranges have draconian rules that I refuse to support by being a member of that range....Tacoma Sportsmans Club being my personal example.....

Now I simply go out to the woods to the east, yes it's a little bit of a drive, but I get to shoot out where I can pretty much do anything I want and I pay nothing but gas money....still comes out cheaper than going to the actual range, and I have more fun.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I am really, really bummed to hear about Shooting Sport's policy. I buy most all of my firearms stuff from Discount Guns and always have great service. I always OC into the store and have never had a bad experience. In fact, I had a very positive discussion about OC with one of the guys at the Kirkland location just this week (stopped by on the way home to see if they had any used .357 revolvers).

I had really been looking forward to this range opening so that I could stop giving Wade's my business. Now to hear that they want to strip my of my right to carry...such a shame. Looks like I'll be firing off an email to their management, because there is NO WAY I will support a range that doesn't let me carry my loaded firearm onto the premises.