• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever wear more than one?

collinwilliams

imported post

Gun in public? I own several and in my particular California county I wear my Beretta 92FS in public (in unincorporated areas) often. I have thought about wearing more than one though... It would be fun to wear 3 openly...

Any thoughts on that? Would it be excessive and give the wrong message?

Michigander

imported post

I did recently in the desert. My brother was OCing with me while we were camping, then decided he wanted to join our friends in sipping some jack. Kinda had to.:lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have worn more than one including a BUG CC. Trying it out, but don't really like it. Besides that I only OC'd with more than one on one occasion involving a range trip.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

At the last Lobby Day, one of our VCDL ladies picked up her new nickname when she brougyt multiples "just because she could."

Yeah, her official statement was something about wanting to see the look on the greeters' faces when she unlimbered. Too bad she forgot that once you show your CHP they do not go looking for/at what you are carrying.

stay safe.

skidmark

compmanio365

imported post

No......unless you could carrying my 45 and slinging my rifle across my back as "carrying" more than one.......:p

I know that a BUG is a good idea, but since I wear both my pistols that I might carry on my right hand side, it seems like it would be very uncomfortable to try to OC and CC on the same side at the same time.......I haven't tried crossdraw, but it seems hard to conceal and have any semblance of comfort while carrying that way.....

LEO 229

imported post

collinwilliams wrote:
Gun in public? I own several and in my particular California county I wear my Beretta 92FS in public (in unincorporated areas) often. I have thought about wearing more than one though... It would be fun to wear 3 openly...

What is the point? :?

A gun is for protection and not a fashion accessory to be shown off.

Your term "fun to wear" tells me that you must be between 18 and 28 year of age. Am I right?

LEO 229

imported post

swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Protection is one purpose but if it were the only purpose most of us wouldn't OC.

What other reason would there be?

With the exception of "hunting" at the super market.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

With the exception of "hunting" at the super market.
OC my 1911 and my 9 at the same time about twice a month.

I'm usually coming back from the range and do not want to either locked in the car.

Numerous other reason are out there also.

41 Magnum

imported post

LEO229-

Sometimes you're just too serious. Surely you've heard the term "barbecue gun"? Some folks take that stuffdownright serious.

And on the plus side-

If you have a nice gun(s) in a nice rig, you look much less like a homie to the general public.

I bet you carry a BUG on duty, do you not? Wouldn't you rather carry it on your duty belt than in an ankle or pocket rig if there was room?;)

LEO 229

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
LEO229-

Sometimes you're just too serious. Surely you've heard the term "barbecue gun"? Some folks take that stuffdownright serious.

And on the plus side-

If you have a nice gun(s) in a nice rig, you look much less like a homie to the general public.

I bet you carry a BUG on duty, do you not? Wouldn't you rather carry it on your duty belt than in an ankle or pocket rig if there was room?;)

Carrying a gun is not "fun".....

It is heavy, tears at your clothing and seat upholstery, and limits where you can go without some problems. And in the summer CCing is harder when you try to wear shorts and a wife beater.

I take many guns to the range and most go into a bag while I carry one on my hip while returning home.

I do not carry a BUG either but I do have one.

For those that think it is a fashion statement... grow up a little. Your probably the same members that like the "shock value" it creates in the line at the supermarket.

Not trying to be super serious here but.... The reason for carrying a gun on a daily basis out in publicshould be for self defense. I am confident there are a few members here that like to show it off to the public as it is their pride and joy.

Get real people!!! :cool:

FogRider

imported post

Why can't it be both? I carry for self defence. Since a gun is something that I am going to have on my person for a large portion of the day, and other people are quite often going to see it, what is wrong with enjoying my time carrying and wanting my gun to look nice? It's like saying I shouldn't worry about my shoes because their only purpose is to protect my feet.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO, do you then disagree with jpierce's The Right Question and Conclusion sections found Here?

I agree with him. I think self defense is one factor for OC and maybe not even the main factor.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
collinwilliams wrote:

What is the point? :?

I see a lot of value in more than one gun. If one fails you have another to go to. And a new york reload is faster than actually reloading, especially with revolvers. Also, I've noticed that having a 2lb weight on my right leg makes me feel unbalanced. I was thinking I should get a 2lb weight for my left leg too so I don't feel like one leg has to work differently than the other. But then, for all I know this could all be psychological, because 2lb is very little compared to the weight of my whole body.

Besides, I figure one should have fun doing no matter what they do. Even if its doing work. As a police officer, your job is to police, but do you never have fun doing your job? I know there must be parts of your job you don't like, but I would go crazy if I was forced to do something all day I didn't like. If carrying guns is not allowed to be fun, should one look for the ugliest holsters possible at the risk that a nice looking holster might be fun to have? What is wrong with your holsters and guns being "fashionable?" Yes, I'm under 20. I hope I don't find everything boring when I turn 21, that would be a real let down. Yes, my gun is for self-defense, but I am also proud of it and to a degree enjoy carrying it.

The purpose of driving is to get yourself and your stuff places. Yet I enjoy driving. My car is red for no other reason than aesthetics.Just like a guncan be annoyingto carry at times due to its weight, and wear on your upholstery etc., a car is can be annoying to own too with its need for repairs, the obscene prices of gas, the stains it leaves in your garage and many other problems.Sitting in the car can be uncomfortable,especially with the seat belt digging intomy neck and restraining my movements. Yet I still enjoy driving mycar and owning it.

When I carry my gun, I feel happy to have a finely crafted piece of steel on my hip.Now, if I had a hi-point, I would not enjoy carrying it so much because it is an ugly poorly shaped gun. Even if it would be lighter, tear up fabrics less, be more comfortable, etc.

Carrying a gun also makes mefeel happy to be a U.S. citizen where I get to enjoy such rights that are restricted to people in most other countries. I also enjoy thinking that perhaps by doing so I canimprove the public image ofgunsprevent my rights from being takenaway. And I can educate other people about the law perhaps enabling people to carry guns who didn't because they thought it was illegal. Because of these reasons, I would say I feel more enjoyment walking around armed than walking around unarmed.

Sure there are aspects of carrying a gun that are not so fun, like constantly having to pay attention to your surroundings (which you should do even without a gun), worrying about somebody taking it, not being able to lie down on your side comfortably, invoking the dislike from people bigoted against guns etc.

But I figure anyone who volunteers to carry a gun (rather than being forced to as part of a job), and is some sort of a gun enthusiast, finds some enjoyment in being able to have a gun with them. If you were an enthusiast of any other object I'm sure you would enjoy having it near by also. I also enjoy trumpets, and I would probably enjoy carrying my trumpet with me too, but it would be much more cumbersome than a gun and less useful to carry. So there is the usefulness aspect too. If a gun wasn'tauseful self-defense toolI probably wouldn't carry it.

I don't carry a gun because its fun, but I wouldn't carry it if it were not to some degree.If I had two identical guns, I would gladly carry both at least sometimes.

(Then again, maybe I still would even if I didn'tenjoy it, out of the sakeof being responsible for my own safety and not allowing myself to be victimized.. but then this could also be seen as a source of enjoyment because I know I wouldn't be as comfortable having to rely on others.)

If all I was concerned about was my well-being I could also wear some body armor, but to me that would be NO fun, and therefore I won't. I would gain no enjoyment out of it, although I suppose if I was being shot at I would wish I had some.

swillden

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Protection is one purpose but if it were the only purpose most of us wouldn't OC
To deter crime.

To exercise our rights.

To educate the public on the legality of OC.

To build tolerance and acceptance of firearms.

Those are off the top of my head, and I'm sure we could come up with plenty more. Basically, all of the political and social reasons that drive us to choose OC over CC (for those who can legally conceal) are reasons that motivate carrying independently of a self-protection motive.

LEO 229

imported post

swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Protection is one purpose but if it were the only purpose most of us wouldn't OC
To deter crime.

To exercise our rights.

To educate the public on the legality of OC.

To build tolerance and acceptance of firearms.

Those are off the top of my head, and I'm sure we could come up with plenty more. Basically, all of the political and social reasons that drive us to choose OC over CC (for those who can legally conceal) are reasons that motivate carrying independently of a self-protection motive.
Do you need three guns to do that?