Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: open carry in Wisconsin state park, forest, campgroud

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Going on a camping/hiking trip in northern Wisconsin. Will stay at a state campground and hike on trails in park and state forest.Is open carry legal inWI state parks/campgrounds/forest ? Thanks for any info. (will .45 acp stop a black bear?)

  2. #2
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Post imported post

    winken wrote:
    Going on a camping/hiking trip in northern Wisconsin. Will stay at a state campground and hike on trails in park and state forest.Is open carry legal inWI state parks/campgrounds/forest ? Thanks for any info. (will .45 acp stop a black bear?)
    Your good to go in the National forests, know WI eregulates carry in any goverment building but am not sure about state parks. As for the .45 ACP and bear that would be borderline. Were not talking grizzly here. I would say .41 magnum is my lower end for bear. The only bear that startled me jumped in front of my car on HWY 70. Good thing I stopped in time I think it would have killed me in my little honda.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    winken wrote:
    (will .45 acp stop a black bear?)
    That's really not the question. The question is...will it stop one fast enough.
    - What da hay?

    Keep Calm and Carry On

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    State Parks require your firearm be unloaded and encased. You may openly carry in State Forests or National Forests in WI. I'm gonna be at Mauthe Lake this weekend walking around with my gun in a range case, empty holster on my hip.

    edit: The black bears in WI don't get all that big - you're talking 300lbs. isprettyaverage individual. 45 ACPshould have no problem taking care of them with decent shot placement. I'd rather not run into an 802 pounder like the largest one ever killed (here in Wisconsin in 1885) without a .460 or .500 S&W... I'd prefer my rifle at that point!!!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Copied and pasted from statutes. Indeed a unloaded/encased firearm can be taken anywhere in the state (except maybe a govn't building?)

    29.089(2)
    (2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

    29.089(3)
    (3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park , or in a portion of a state park , if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park , or in the portion of the state park , and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.


  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,709

    Post imported post

    smithman wrote:
    29.089(2)
    (2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

    29.089(3)
    (3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park , or in a portion of a state park , if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park , or in the portion of the state park , and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.
    OK, so given that the local ordinance is no more strict, should we interpret this to mean that open carry is legal on the city sidewalk, but not in the city park?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    City Parks are not State Parks. The majority of land mass in WI is most likely public land - comprised of state forest and state parks. In state forest, you can carry. In a state park, you cannot. Unless a city park happened to be a state park, you are fine carrying insaid city (or other municipality) park.

  8. #8
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Post imported post

    Local parks? Unless state statute allows local bans in parks it would be preempted.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    Rick Finsta wrote:
    City Parks are not State Parks. The majority of land mass in WI is most likely public land - comprised of state forest and state parks. In state forest, you can carry. In a state park, you cannot. Unless a city park happened to be a state park, you are fine carrying insaid city (or other municipality) park.
    Note what this gentleman says. State forest vs. State park: an important distinction.


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    In fact I WAS able to carry at Mauthe Lake, for it is simply part of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. In fact, there is technically legal to hunt there....

    The wife and I met the family and had dinner at their site, but came home to take care of water in the basement.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Rick Finsta wrote:
    City Parks are not State Parks.
    City parks are regulated by the community they are in. Firearms are not permited in any Milwaukee Park...period.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    GAAAAAAH Bunker you need to stop spreading false information. You are refuted over and over, and YOU KEEP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH. There is no State law making carry in municipal parks illegal, and there is therefore no legal prohibition on carry in anymunicipality in the State. You keep acting as if the 1995 preemption law didn't exist, and all your arguments are based on that fallacy.

    We don't care if you can point to laws THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ILLEGAL BY THE PREEMPTION LAW, NOR DO WE CARE IF YOU CAN POINT TO ARRESTS FOR THESE ILLEGAL LAWS. THE FACT IS THAT NONE OF THE LOCAL LAWS YOU KEEP CITING ARE CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A CONVICTION, AND ALL THE TYPING IN THE WORLD ON YOUR PART IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE THAT!

    Please, please, please. STOP POSTING ERRONEOUS INFORMATION.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    721

    Post imported post

    Bunker, everbody knows about the preemption law and understands it except for you.

    Please get your facts straight. Localies cannot regulate firearms more strictly than the state. PERIOD.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    Rick Finsta wrote: I didn't see where he accomplished the tac-reload to get to 16 rounds but I'd still prefer to stop 'em with less. But a great story, and one that should be book-marked for every tree-hugger that thinks people shouldn't be allowed to carry in any wild environment just because there's some sign up that says it's State-this, or National-that.

    And, as usual, black bears seem to actually be a party to more confrontations than grizzlies.


    Thanks for posting sir!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    Actually, if he had a slug in the pipe it was 17; it says he emptied his mag (well, it says "clip" lol) and then reloaded and emptied it again. 8 rounds in a 1911 mag, right?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Rick Finsta wrote:
    GAAAAAAH Bunker you need to stop spreading false information. You are refuted over and over, and YOU KEEP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH. There is no State law making carry in municipal parks illegal, and there is therefore no legal prohibition on carry in anymunicipality in the State. You keep acting as if the 1995 preemption law didn't exist, and all your arguments are based on that fallacy.

    We don't care if you can point to laws THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ILLEGAL BY THE PREEMPTION LAW, NOR DO WE CARE IF YOU CAN POINT TO ARRESTS FOR THESE ILLEGAL LAWS. THE FACT IS THAT NONE OF THE LOCAL LAWS YOU KEEP CITING ARE CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A CONVICTION, AND ALL THE TYPING IN THE WORLD ON YOUR PART IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE THAT!

    Please, please, please. STOP POSTING ERRONEOUS INFORMATION.

    Then I dare you to walk in a city park while armedin Milwaukee County. It's a county ordanance and it is enforced! Give Sheriff Clark a call and ask him yourself.

    If you do get the courage to do that, let me know. I'd love to watch you get arrested.

    .... And all the typing in the world on your part isn't going to change that.






  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    Bunker:

    First you talk about open carry in parks being a city prohibition now you say it's a county prohibition. Time to get your story straight.

    If you can't comprehend the breadth of premption statute 66.0409 perhaps you can get the milwaukee city attorney to explain it in terms you can understand. Perhaps he can start it out by saying "Once upon a time the city of Milwaukee had a number of firearm ordinances, however on November 18, 1995 all those ordinances became ----"

    The only firearm ordinance the city and/or county of Milwaukee can enforce that are stronger than State statutes is the discharge of firearms within their jurisdiction and the construction of shooting ranges. Ask your city attorney and put an end to this tom-foolery unless it is part of your sick humor to keep stirring the pot.

    Mayor Tom Barrett is probably proud of you.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Mayor Tom 'Bunker' Barrett? And of course his law enforcement officer sycophant enablers.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    Wow. Now I know why they turned down the guy in CT for entrance to the police academy for being too smart. How about a logic lesson, then? Whereas P equals a legal act, Q equals an illegal act,X equals police response, X does not necessarily mean P or Q exclusively, and X can equal Q if X follows P, then no conclusion can be logically drawn from X under any circumstance.

    You are offering the logical equivelant of:

    You are a black freedman. If you go into town you will be lynched by police officers. Therefore, going into town as a black freedman is illegal.

    Or perhapsa corollary will help:

    You are a police officer. You shake down dealers for drugs, money, and guns. Therefore, shaking down dealers is legal.

    How about this. You go into a school zone while off-duty and carrying, and you won't get arrested for violation of the school zone law. Oops. You break the law every time you drive past a school while armed and not on duty, and won't ever get arrested for it. I guess that means that police action has absolutely nothing to do with the legality or illegality of an act.

    Can we get a moderator on this clown?


  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SOuth Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    503

    Post imported post

    You can open carry in a county park right? I mean in wisconsin local laws cannot inhibit your right to possess, transport ot use a weapon. I'm heading up to Big Falls COunty Park in price county and hope to start open carrying at least up there.



    thx, Ben

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    BLUF: BJA you should check with your county. Understanding the pre-emption issue, I think what might confuse folks is that with 66.0409 saying a local statute can be "no more stringent" than state statute - and carry in state parks not permitted - what would be the prohibition that would keep a city or county from having an enforceable statute regarding their parks? No carry in a park would not be more stringent than the staterule which says...

    NR 45.09(1)
    (1) No person may take, catch, kill, hunt, trap or pursue any wild animal or bird, or discharge any firearm, or have in possession or under control any firearm or air gun as defined in s.939.22, unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case...

    :?

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    While I was growing up in northern Minnesota my father always told me that the secret to bear hunting was to always hunt with a partner. Just make sure the partner you pick can run a might slower than you.

    On a more serious note:

    This is probably a moot point as it regards the objective of this forum to carry firearms for personal protection, but I offer it as a matter of precision. Whether or not loaded uncased firearms are allowed in State parks is largely at the discretion of the DNR. The DNR can open State parks for the use of certain firearms for hunting certain game during hunting season. Of course that in itself allows the open carry of loaded weapons at that time.




  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    248

    Post imported post

    Lammie wrote:
    On a more serious note:

    This is probably a moot point as it regards the objective of this forum to carry firearms for personal protection, but I offer it as a matter of precision. Whether or not loaded uncased firearms are allowed in State parks is largely at the discretion of the DNR. The DNR can open State parks for the use of certain firearms for hunting certain game during hunting season. Of course that in itself allows the open carry of loaded weapons at that time.


    Completely correct and they make that distinction in their rulemaking; I was looking more at the general occurrence outside the hunting season(s).

    (and with a nod to your Dad, not a bad hunting tip either)




  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    233

    Post imported post

    WIG19 wrote:
    BLUF: BJA you should check with your county. Understanding the pre-emption issue, I think what might confuse folks is that with 66.0409 saying a local statute can be "no more stringent" than state statute - and carry in state parks not permitted - what would be the prohibition that would keep a city or county from having an enforceable statute regarding their parks? No carry in a park would not be more stringent than the staterule which says...

    NR 45.09(1)
    (1) No person may take, catch, kill, hunt, trap or pursue any wild animal or bird, or discharge any firearm, or have in possession or under control any firearm or air gun as defined in s.939.22, unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case...

    :?
    Simple: A "State Park" is a legally defined entity under statutes, and therefore a county or municipality adding other types of parks would be MORE STRINGENT. Any time you expand the scope of a law, it becomes "more stringent," and that is specifically prohibited by 66.0409 when dealing with firearms regulation. Now, I'll have to go check if "parks" are a generically defined term in the statutes; that might muddy it up a bit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •