• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Wisconsin state park, forest, campgroud

winken

imported post

Going on a camping/hiking trip in northern Wisconsin. Will stay at a state campground and hike on trails in park and state forest.Is open carry legal inWI state parks/campgrounds/forest ? Thanks for any info. (will .45 acp stop a black bear?)

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

winken wrote:
Going on a camping/hiking trip in northern Wisconsin. Will stay at a state campground and hike on trails in park and state forest.Is open carry legal inWI state parks/campgrounds/forest ? Thanks for any info. (will .45 acp stop a black bear?)
Your good to go in the National forests, know WI eregulates carry in any goverment building but am not sure about state parks. As for the .45 ACP and bear that would be borderline. Were not talking grizzly here. I would say .41 magnum is my lower end for bear. The only bear that startled me jumped in front of my car on HWY 70. Good thing I stopped in time I think it would have killed me in my little honda.

Rick Finsta

imported post

State Parks require your firearm be unloaded and encased. You may openly carry in State Forests or National Forests in WI. I'm gonna be at Mauthe Lake this weekend walking around with my gun in a range case, empty holster on my hip.

edit: The black bears in WI don't get all that big - you're talking 300lbs. isprettyaverage individual. 45 ACPshould have no problem taking care of them with decent shot placement. I'd rather not run into an 802 pounder like the largest one ever killed (here in Wisconsin in 1885) without a .460 or .500 S&W... I'd prefer my rifle at that point!!!

smithman

imported post

Copied and pasted from statutes. Indeed a unloaded/encased firearm can be taken anywhere in the state (except maybe a govn't building?)

29.089(2)
(2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

29.089(3)
(3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park , or in a portion of a state park , if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park , or in the portion of the state park , and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

smithman wrote:
29.089(2)
(2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

29.089(3)
(3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game in a state park , or in a portion of a state park , if the department has authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state park , or in the portion of the state park , and, except as provided in s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this chapter for hunting that type of game.
OK, so given that the local ordinance is no more strict, should we interpret this to mean that open carry is legal on the city sidewalk, but not in the city park?

Rick Finsta

imported post

City Parks are not State Parks. The majority of land mass in WI is most likely public land - comprised of state forest and state parks. In state forest, you can carry. In a state park, you cannot. Unless a city park happened to be a state park, you are fine carrying insaid city (or other municipality) park.

WIG19

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
City Parks are not State Parks. The majority of land mass in WI is most likely public land - comprised of state forest and state parks. In state forest, you can carry. In a state park, you cannot. Unless a city park happened to be a state park, you are fine carrying insaid city (or other municipality) park.
Note what this gentleman says. State forest vs. State park: an important distinction.
:cool:

Rick Finsta

imported post

In fact I WAS able to carry at Mauthe Lake, for it is simply part of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. In fact, there is technically legal to hunt there....

The wife and I met the family and had dinner at their site, but came home to take care of water in the basement.

Bunker

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
City Parks are not State Parks.
City parks are regulated by the community they are in. Firearms are not permited in any Milwaukee Park...period.

Rick Finsta

imported post

GAAAAAAH Bunker you need to stop spreading false information. You are refuted over and over, and YOU KEEP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH. There is no State law making carry in municipal parks illegal, and there is therefore no legal prohibition on carry in anymunicipality in the State. You keep acting as if the 1995 preemption law didn't exist, and all your arguments are based on that fallacy.

We don't care if you can point to laws THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ILLEGAL BY THE PREEMPTION LAW, NOR DO WE CARE IF YOU CAN POINT TO ARRESTS FOR THESE ILLEGAL LAWS. THE FACT IS THAT NONE OF THE LOCAL LAWS YOU KEEP CITING ARE CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A CONVICTION, AND ALL THE TYPING IN THE WORLD ON YOUR PART IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE THAT!

Please, please, please. STOP POSTING ERRONEOUS INFORMATION.

smithman

imported post

Bunker, everbody knows about the preemption law and understands it except for you.

Please get your facts straight. Localies cannot regulate firearms more strictly than the state. PERIOD.

WIG19

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
I didn't see where he accomplished the tac-reload to get to 16 rounds but I'd still prefer to stop 'em with less. But a great story, and one that should be book-marked for every tree-hugger that thinks people shouldn't be allowed to carry in any wild environment just because there's some sign up that says it's State-this, or National-that.

And, as usual, black bears seem to actually be a party to more confrontations than grizzlies.

Thanks for posting sir!

Rick Finsta

imported post

Actually, if he had a slug in the pipe it was 17; it says he emptied his mag (well, it says "clip" lol) and then reloaded and emptied it again. 8 rounds in a 1911 mag, right?

Bunker

imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
GAAAAAAH Bunker you need to stop spreading false information. You are refuted over and over, and YOU KEEP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH. There is no State law making carry in municipal parks illegal, and there is therefore no legal prohibition on carry in anymunicipality in the State. You keep acting as if the 1995 preemption law didn't exist, and all your arguments are based on that fallacy.

We don't care if you can point to laws THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ILLEGAL BY THE PREEMPTION LAW, NOR DO WE CARE IF YOU CAN POINT TO ARRESTS FOR THESE ILLEGAL LAWS. THE FACT IS THAT NONE OF THE LOCAL LAWS YOU KEEP CITING ARE CURRENTLY CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A CONVICTION, AND ALL THE TYPING IN THE WORLD ON YOUR PART IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE THAT!

Please, please, please. STOP POSTING ERRONEOUS INFORMATION.

Then I dare you to walk in a city park while armedin Milwaukee County. It's a county ordanance and it is enforced! Give Sheriff Clark a call and ask him yourself.

If you do get the courage to do that, let me know. I'd love to watch you get arrested.

.... And all the typing in the world on your part isn't going to change that.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bunker:

First you talk about open carry in parks being a city prohibition now you say it's a county prohibition. Time to get your story straight.

If you can't comprehend the breadth of premption statute 66.0409 perhaps you can get the milwaukee city attorney to explain it in terms you can understand. Perhaps he can start it out by saying "Once upon a time the city of Milwaukee had a number of firearm ordinances, however on November 18, 1995 all those ordinances became ----"

The only firearm ordinance the city and/or county of Milwaukee can enforce that are stronger than State statutes is the discharge of firearms within their jurisdiction and the construction of shooting ranges. Ask your city attorney and put an end to this tom-foolery unless it is part of your sick humor to keep stirring the pot.

Mayor Tom Barrett is probably proud of you.

Rick Finsta

imported post

Wow. Now I know why they turned down the guy in CT for entrance to the police academy for being too smart. How about a logic lesson, then? Whereas P equals a legal act, Q equals an illegal act,X equals police response, X does not necessarily mean P or Q exclusively, and X can equal Q if X follows P, then no conclusion can be logically drawn from X under any circumstance.

You are offering the logical equivelant of:

You are a black freedman. If you go into town you will be lynched by police officers. Therefore, going into town as a black freedman is illegal.

Or perhapsa corollary will help:

You are a police officer. You shake down dealers for drugs, money, and guns. Therefore, shaking down dealers is legal.

How about this. You go into a school zone while off-duty and carrying, and you won't get arrested for violation of the school zone law. Oops. You break the law every time you drive past a school while armed and not on duty, and won't ever get arrested for it. I guess that means that police action has absolutely nothing to do with the legality or illegality of an act.

Can we get a moderator on this clown? :banghead: